DIY Sub - some advice please - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By dgage
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 Old 06-19-2014, 08:37 AM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
GarthSA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 9
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
DIY Sub - some advice please

Hi
I am about to venture into the DIY sub world primarily because I live in South Africa and shipping big boxes half way around the world is expensive and by reading through some of the build threads I have convinced myself that I can build myself a sub enclosure with my very limited wood working skills. I plan to import the driver and/or sub kit with Amp depending on what I buy. Current thoughts are buying the Rythmik 1510 driver and 600W amp and building a FV15HP equivalent or buying 2 SI18's and building either 2 sealed boxes (the simplest) or 2 Marty Cubes or MartySubs (which don't look to difficult). SI18's would be driven by an iNuke3000 or IPR3000 which are roughly the same price in South Africa.

My opinion is that the FV15HP clone would be more of a known quantity (Brian sent me the enclosure drawings) however dual SI18's (sealed) would give me the benefit of multiple sub smoothing and similar performance to a single FV15HP (using Data-Bass as a reference)

I have a dedicated theatre room so enclosure size isnt really a problem.

Opinions, advice welcome
GarthSA is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 12 Old 06-19-2014, 10:20 AM
Senior Member
 
mhutchins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 465
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 65
2 Marty's
mhutchins is offline  
post #3 of 12 Old 06-19-2014, 10:42 AM
AVS Special Member
 
dgage's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 1,514
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 371 Post(s)
Liked: 250
I have 3 LMS 5400s. I purchased those because I wanted the best sounding bass possible, with plenty of output, and consistent frequency response around the room. I also was originally looking at the Rythmik FV15HP kit due to the well-regarded sound but worried about it not having enough horsepower for explosions. I've since heard several home theaters with the SI18 and SI HS24 and feel they all sounded similarly (when not over driven). Any of the high quality DIY subs in multiple with good DSP should give consistent results. I wish I would have known that when I bought the LMS-5400s at $925 each but in my case I had limited room so it doesn't bother me. The SI18s are a tremendous value and really sound great. But if I were getting a sub (2 really), it would really by the SI HS24. That thing is simply a beast that sounds so good. You might want to look at Beasts GTG thread ( Beast's First Ever "Ballin' Out" NC g2g April 5th!!!!) as the HS24 was liked by all while playing from 7Hz to 100Hz. I brought my 2 LMS-5400s and the HS24 sounded about the same from 15 on up to 100 but had more authority below 15. For most rooms, a pair of HS24 in a sealed 15cu.ft. box would be phenomenal and easier to integrate than a ported or Marty sub. (My experience with home or car audio is that sealed is always easier to integrate to the room/vehicle and main speakers). Then again 2, 4, or even 8 SI18s would be pretty awesome to. Beast's HT with 8 SI18s is the best I've ever heard. Powerful, clean, simply phenomenal.
saginawjuggalo likes this.
dgage is online now  
post #4 of 12 Old 06-19-2014, 01:01 PM
Senior Member
 
JohnDean's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Franklin, TN
Posts: 470
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 44
What brands are available there? I always see people pushing what we like here in the US, but wonder if there's not something comparable that you can get cheaper "locally." I use the term locally loosely to mean with less shipping cost, possibly on the same continent.
JohnDean is offline  
post #5 of 12 Old 06-20-2014, 12:49 AM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
GarthSA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 9
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks for the input so far - Mike (I think) I have followed your contribution on the Marty and will look more closely into this. dgage - SI 24 is out of my price range - plus weight will be a killer for shipping to SA - I could probable land a Submersive for the same prices (not equivalent I know - but a great Sub) - JohnDean - ID is not big in SA - you can get most of the big name brands in SA but at around 2-2.5 times the cost of the US - so it makes sense for me to import in most cases despite the 20% import duty and tax I would pay. I am waiting for a shipping cost from SI but I believe that 2 SI18's will cost around the same to ship as the Rythmik kit. So I am in the same ballpark cost for a single Rythmilk kit or 2 SI18's imported and a locally bought amp - for interest an iNuke 3000DSP runs around $620 in SA.
GarthSA is offline  
post #6 of 12 Old 06-20-2014, 01:24 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
LTD02's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 16,723
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 492 Post(s)
Liked: 1121
thomann ships worldwide. this is for south Africa. maybe some ported cabs using one of the pro audio drivers with higher excursion?


Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	t.png
Views:	102
Size:	132.7 KB
ID:	127762  

Listen. It's All Good.
LTD02 is offline  
post #7 of 12 Old 06-20-2014, 03:43 AM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
GarthSA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 9
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by LTD02 View Post
thomann ships worldwide. this is for south Africa. maybe some ported cabs using one of the pro audio drivers with higher excursion?


Thanks I will have a look at them - hadnt heard of them thomann before
GarthSA is offline  
post #8 of 12 Old 06-20-2014, 07:19 AM
AVS Special Member
 
dgage's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 1,514
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 371 Post(s)
Liked: 250
If it's a choice between 1 Rythmik kit and a pair of SI18s, I'd suggest the SI18s primarily due to more output and more consistent frequency response at multiple seating positions. Good luck.
dgage is online now  
post #9 of 12 Old 06-20-2014, 07:31 AM
Senior Member
 
smitty8451's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 245
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by GarthSA View Post
Hi
I am about to venture into the DIY sub world primarily because I live in South Africa and shipping big boxes half way around the world is expensive and by reading through some of the build threads I have convinced myself that I can build myself a sub enclosure with my very limited wood working skills. I plan to import the driver and/or sub kit with Amp depending on what I buy. Current thoughts are buying the Rythmik 1510 driver and 600W amp and building a FV15HP equivalent or buying 2 SI18's and building either 2 sealed boxes (the simplest) or 2 Marty Cubes or MartySubs (which don't look to difficult). SI18's would be driven by an iNuke3000 or IPR3000 which are roughly the same price in South Africa.

My opinion is that the FV15HP clone would be more of a known quantity (Brian sent me the enclosure drawings) however dual SI18's (sealed) would give me the benefit of multiple sub smoothing and similar performance to a single FV15HP (using Data-Bass as a reference)

I have a dedicated theatre room so enclosure size isnt really a problem.

Opinions, advice welcome
I highly recommend your Rythmik solution. I built two of the DS1510 and PEQ600XLR3 amps and could not be happier. I am an experienced wood worker so it was very easy, but a layman could also do it without issue you just want to take your time. I built mine using Brians plans with a slight modification which is I added another layer of 3/4 MDF all around the cabinet with the second layer joints overlapping the first layer joints (helps with keeping it airtight) and finishing it with a extremly high figured Cherry 2 ply PSA veener and 4 coats of Wipe on Polyeurathane. I did both for just under 1800.00 were a coparible off the shelf sub of the same quality could easily cost 1200.00 not including shipping. there are pictures in my profile if you want an idea of how big they turn out or just to give you an idea of what they look like finished.


Yamaha CX-A5000, ATI AT 2007 Amp (7X200W), ATI AT 2004 Amp (4X200W)Klipsch RF 63's - Main, RB 61's - Front heights, RC-62 - Center, RS-62's - Surround, RS-52's - Rear Surround, 2 Rythmik DS-1510 DIY Subwoofers (With PEQ600XLR3 Amp) each connected with Antimode 8033S-II, Oppo BDP-95, MMF-7.1, Project Phono Box RS, XBox 360, XBox One
smitty8451 is offline  
post #10 of 12 Old 08-09-2014, 11:49 AM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
GarthSA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 9
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have ordered 2 SI18's and will build some sealed cabinets. Need to decide what to power them with. I would really like an IPR7500 as I see myself increasing the number of subs over time but I can't seem to find out if the IPR series can be switched between 110 and 240V. I can get an IPR delivered to South Africa via Amazon but I can't get confirmation that it will run on the 240V supply voltage we use. I have searched AVS for info on this without success, amazon seem to think it will work but peavey suggest I buy from the local agents but they charge 40% more than what I can import for. There have been some comments on AVS that it can run on 240v but nothing definite. Does anyone have a definite answer to this question? Thanks in advance
GarthSA is offline  
post #11 of 12 Old 08-09-2014, 12:35 PM
AVS Special Member
 
dgage's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 1,514
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 371 Post(s)
Liked: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by GarthSA View Post
I have ordered 2 SI18's and will build some sealed cabinets. Need to decide what to power them with. I would really like an IPR7500 as I see myself increasing the number of subs over time but I can't seem to find out if the IPR series can be switched between 110 and 240V. I can get an IPR delivered to South Africa via Amazon but I can't get confirmation that it will run on the 240V supply voltage we use. I have searched AVS for info on this without success, amazon seem to think it will work but peavey suggest I buy from the local agents but they charge 40% more than what I can import for. There have been some comments on AVS that it can run on 240v but nothing definite. Does anyone have a definite answer to this question? Thanks in advance
I looked at the IPR7500 and sister Crest ProLite 7.5 and both look to be 120V only but likely have a 220V version you could special order. I looked at the Behringer iNuke 6000 and it seems to be the same case for versions sold in US. Hopefully someone else can suggest an amp you could use. I know SpeakerPower has an 240V version but that is closer to $1500 US for a plate amp and nearly $3000 US for a rack mount putting out a conservative 12000w(6000wx2) at 2 ohm.
dgage is online now  
post #12 of 12 Old 08-09-2014, 01:06 PM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
GarthSA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 9
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I can get an inuke 6000 locally in SA for around $600 so that is definitely an option. Would prefer and IPR though
GarthSA is offline  
Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off