A few questions (relevant pics below):
1. Speakon mount
- The diameter of the hole in the sub is 1-3/8".
- The screw holes on the mount's outer plate are 1-5/8" apart. This leaves 1/8" on each side for the screws. Will that be enough to secure the plate? (I think it will be.)
- The diameter of the mount's barrel is 7/8". Should I fill the gap between the barrel and the hole with insulation (or gasket tape or something) or will it make no difference?
- Since I don't own a soldering iron, I plan to use crimp connectors on the mount's terminals. Any issues with this?
- The metal ring of the basket is covered with a soft plastic ring. Does the plastic ring stay on, or do I remove it if I'm going to use gasket tape to create a seal?
3. Driver cut-out
(This is the one that worries me the most.)
- The diameter of the basket's ring is 18-3/8", and the screw-hole centers are ~7/16" in from the outer edge. IOW - and assuming my non-metric calculations are correct
- the screw-holes are ~17-1/2" apart.
- The diameter of the cut-out in the baffle is 16-7/8", so the screws will go into the MDF only 5/16" away from the edges of the cut-out. Is that sufficient distance to ensure the MDF won't split as the screws go in?
4. Acoustic insulation
- There's a bit of insulation missing in a couple of spots. I'm pretty sure it won't cause any problems but, just the same, I'll ask: Is there any value to buying and glue-ing some additional insulation into place?