Design Challenge - Ceiling speakers for Dolby Atmos - Page 5 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

Old 07-05-2014, 05:49 PM
Ace of Bass

Mentioned: 97 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1756 Post(s)
Liked: 1405
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trepidati0n View Post
Odd question...not sure if I missed this here, but wouldn't a DIY electrostatic do the job? I mean they would be thin as snot. The only hard part is finding a way to hide the high voltage gear..but that might be able to be done in ceiling.
ES speakers would have an inherently small sweet spot. While a great idea for area of displacement per speaker, the actual concept of a MP style would not yield good results if I had to guess...

(European models do not accept banana plugs.)

HT seats for sale!
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/211-ac...seat-rows.html
Beast's DIY Master Measurement Thread
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-05-2014, 11:46 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Car audio speakers are designed to be placed in a door with no enclosures. So that might be an option.
Old 07-06-2014, 06:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 814 Post(s)
Liked: 1016
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mfusick View Post
Fusion quad 4 ?
This might be completely wrong, but what about a really shallow speaker that had more squared up dimensions? Like 14" x 14" x 4.5" deep. Tweeter in the middle surrounded by four small woofers?

That's not optimal for front speakers, but would it work good for for these types of ceiling speakers?

Old 07-06-2014, 07:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 309 Post(s)
Liked: 281
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erich H View Post
Like 14" x 14" x 4.5" deep. Tweeter in the middle surrounded by four small woofers?
I don't know about optimal, and I don't know if this even works, but it looks like it all fits reasonably.
Old 07-06-2014, 07:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 435 Post(s)
Liked: 358
What is the advantage to multiple drivers here? I'm a speaker design noob, so use small words, please

Dude, are you made of leprechauns? Cause that was awesome!

The Plains Theater Has Begun
Old 07-06-2014, 07:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Smaller woofers aren't as deep so the box could be shallow, but you would need more of them.

Old 07-06-2014, 08:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by J_P_A View Post
What is the advantage to multiple drivers here?
Output mostly.
Old 07-06-2014, 10:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 524 Post(s)
Liked: 320
Quote:
Smaller woofers aren't as deep so the box could be shallow, but you would need more of them.
Then again, they're up against 1-3 walls so you get lots of boundary reinforcement. Note that the commercial "Atmos modules" tend to be small concentrics or just 3-4" widebanders. And they're out in the room, so don't have the boundary loading an on wall/on ceiling/junction/corner placement will give.

--
"In many cases there aren’t two sides unless one side is 'reality' and the other is 'nonsense.'" - Phil Plait
Serious Audio Blog 
Old 07-06-2014, 11:17 AM
AVS Special Member

So do you think the small 6" coaxials would be a good idea? They're about 4" - 4.5" deep and get quite loud for their size. If the boxes were made out of 1/2" Baltic they would be very light weight.
asarose247 likes this.

Old 07-06-2014, 11:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 269 Post(s)
Liked: 130
Yesterday Sanjay paid me a visit in Garden Grove.
We did a geometry lesson while we listened to some PF and in particular, the re-mixed Beatlles "Love' album in 5.1
Following his recommendation to move my surrounds to 90 wrt to MLP makes a big difference as opposed to 110 or so to the back.
Thanks
Using the diagrams posted a little back we figured out (for my listening/viewing area) that the 4 ceiling speakers will be 2 42" forward of the MLP and 2 the same distance behind and 42" to the left and right, essentially a 7 foot square of speakers aimed down, from the corners, in a "crossfire" MOL, across the MLP.
None of the placements wrt to locations of surrounds or rears puts anything too close to anything else so there is (hopefully) going to be enough "space" for the vectored ATMOS objects to take advantage of and fill the "spaciousness", because we're not getting a watered down consumer under powered chip ARE WE?????
My first choice was to use my "abundant" resources of 4 Klipsch SLX (1 made need a refurb-maybe-IDK) hung horizontally about 6-10 inches down from the ceiling, angled appropriately. I've had them as mains, with a sub, high fronts, surrounds, centers. they put out, usually with an 80 xo. The geometry of the 7 foot square measures 60 inches to the corners from the MLP , mol, and then there is the about 4 foot plus height above., so that makes me think that they are "not too" close. YMMV
One of my hanging methods is to use security camera mounting brackets, about <$25/pair and maybe some metal lumber to facilitate firmly attaching a speaker and getting the right orientation/articulation.
An alternative maybe be a setof KLH C-180B, I have 8 of those.
If i lay things out well enough, i can put almost anything "up there"
But for all the discussion about the ceiling, what can we expect to do about high fronts? are they just going to go away?

standing by . . .

DIY FAN Denon X5200 , Emotiva UPA7, for 7.3.4 ATMOS/DSU SHARP 80" LED/LCD
FL/FR: DIYSG Fusion 15's , Center: DIYSG 88 Special , SL/SR: RC3II , SRL/SRR: F-3Towers, TF & TR: SLX
2 30" BF THTLP'S , SUBMAXIMUS, 2 x Inuke6000DSP & 2 driverless LHORN cabs
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/401-di...rs-subwoofers/
www.avsforum.com/forum/155-diy-speakers-subs/1485120-submaximus-large-front-loaded-horn
Old 07-06-2014, 11:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 269 Post(s)
Liked: 130
we also discussed 6 or 8 inch co-'ax's and auto speakers.
boxes could be built to provide slant and direction, be light weight etc.
so we know there is no "one" answer as each room and other factors will make a difference,
so for anyone in the LA area, you may want to get in on the Pioneer demo scheduled for alter this month, if only for experience and reference.

DIY FAN Denon X5200 , Emotiva UPA7, for 7.3.4 ATMOS/DSU SHARP 80" LED/LCD
FL/FR: DIYSG Fusion 15's , Center: DIYSG 88 Special , SL/SR: RC3II , SRL/SRR: F-3Towers, TF & TR: SLX
2 30" BF THTLP'S , SUBMAXIMUS, 2 x Inuke6000DSP & 2 driverless LHORN cabs
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/401-di...rs-subwoofers/
www.avsforum.com/forum/155-diy-speakers-subs/1485120-submaximus-large-front-loaded-horn
Old 07-06-2014, 02:26 PM - Thread Starter
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1222 Post(s)
Liked: 1107
Quote:
So do you think the small 6" coaxials would be a good idea? They're about 4" - 4.5" deep and get quite loud for their size. If the boxes were made out of 1/2" Baltic they would be very light weight.
The more I read on the subject the more I can appreciate the comment "All speakers should be timbre matched" I'm not certain we can just throw a speaker on the ceiling and call it a day, We may need to redesign all the speakers in the room to get them to "match"
Old 07-06-2014, 04:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked: 529
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGmouthinDC View Post
The more I read on the subject the more I can appreciate the comment "All speakers should be timbre matched" I'm not certain we can just throw a speaker on the ceiling and call it a day, We may need to redesign all the speakers in the room to get them to "match"
I agree and am trying to avoid that. Triad is pretty confident they can timbre match my set up even if it has to be custom. Lots of speaker manufacturers are scrambling in preparation for this Atmos tidal wave. I'll know by next week outcome with Triad's attempt to communicate with Dolby gathering specific parameters for residential implementation.
Old 07-06-2014, 07:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tnedator View Post
EG doing the construction
Have you seen the price yet? Not the pre-sales price. The now that you've committed to our design and we've got you buy the balls price. Just asking

Quote:
Originally Posted by J_P_A View Post
At any rate, for Clips+Channel+DD ceiling, I can see it being an issue in retrofit. Particularly if you have anything else on the ceiling, and didn't use the 16"x48" clip spacing necessary for 3 layers of DW.
Most of us have a soffit running around the perimeter of the room. I assume that is fairly overbuilt and it's expected to be rigid (no spring). I was wondering if the ceiling speakers could be mounted on the vertical part of the soffit and fire down at angle, like the triad in ceilings (which are angled towards the LP). So the weight goes on the soffit. The soffit in turn distributes the load out to the wall & ceiling, but both have extra channel & clips for it.

I also wonder how extra speakers will effect the acoustic treatment plans everyone has, especially when firing from the ceiling towards the floor. The "ground" of a commercial theater is almost entirely covered by seating & ideally people. Both are fairly absorptive. For HT with less seating coverage, and possibly a granite bar top in back, I wonder if the radiation pattern will be important, or if there will be new treatments needed.

Old 07-07-2014, 05:36 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 223 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by rabident View Post
Have you seen the price yet? Not the pre-sales price. The now that you've committed to our design and we've got you buy the balls price. Just asking
Yes, I went into it with my eyes open, both in terms of getting a plan that I could have constructed locally or using EG to build it. I wasn't one of the foolish few that thought they were getting the magic instructions on how to build a Mclarren out of VW bug parts using the secret kit car manual. Just saying.
SierraMikeBravo and BllDo like this.
Old 07-12-2014, 12:58 PM
AVS Special Member

I think I'm sticking with my initial reaction that a 6" or so ceiling mounted coax is the best option, but I've been pursuaded I think that Pioneer's ATMOS enabled speakers are a viable solution for a lot of users. Andrew Jones was very forthcoming in his interview with Scott Wilkinson in his podcast a few days ago. I you haven't watched it, I recommend it. It's full of technical details about Dolby's specs and the speaker's performance.

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/138-avs-forum-podcasts/1599993-dolby-atmos-comes-home.html

Last edited by HopefulFred; 07-12-2014 at 01:07 PM.
Old 07-18-2014, 11:30 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 443 Post(s)
Liked: 1742
BigmoutinDC was going to post up a modified design for atmos request I think. (hint, hint)

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
Old 07-20-2014, 10:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 226 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Hope,
That was an interesting interview. He did say that he preferred the top mounted speaker. Also, he seemed to imply that a coax would be superior in this config. I don't know AJ, so I can't tell if that was clever marketing on his part or his true belief. I guess I will get a full taste in two months at Cedia.

Call AVS For the Best Deals!!!

My new favorite game is Stop the Bots
Old 07-20-2014, 10:49 AM
AVS Addicted Member

What is your signature about ? Is that a joke or real game ?

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
Old 07-20-2014, 11:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 226 Post(s)
Liked: 62
It is a real game. My best friend did it on a whim and it ended up with about 5 million downloads.

http://www.scaryrobot.com/

Call AVS For the Best Deals!!!

My new favorite game is Stop the Bots
Old 07-21-2014, 04:55 PM - Thread Starter
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1222 Post(s)
Liked: 1107
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mfusick View Post
BigmoutinDC was going to post up a modified design for atmos request I think. (hint, hint)

Yea I had a brainfart.

So after thinking more about this issue I reached the following conclusions

1) It may prove difficult to design a low profile speaker that can be timber matched with the other speakers in the system. Therefore an in-ceiling speaker is probably the best strategy and then replicated for other positions.

2) Assuming the ceiling is double drywall hung on clips and channel or separate floating joists cutting that big of a hole requires something that is a good "plug"

2) Using the principles of Damped mass for the plug. Take a speaker like the Volt coax or newer upgrades. Add damped mass to the sides and rear, a layer of 5/8 Drywall with Green Glue. Then substitute a modified front baffle with a one inch overhang on all four sides.

3) Glue/Screw/Caulk the speaker into place on the ceiling. If you doubt the holding power of your screws you can secure some backer strips of wood on the backside of the hole when it is open and then screw through the drywall into the wood.

4) Crossover modification might be required for the in ceiling location.

5) Make a frame slightly larger than the front baffle and cover with acoustically transparent fabric and mount it on the ceiling The final result is something an inch or less on the ceiling.

6) Then use the same speaker for the surrounds and maybe even the mains.
Old 07-21-2014, 04:58 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 114
Aren't people saying that atmos ceiling speakers are somewhat directional?

So that we might need some way to angle the speakers toward the LP? (Eg how the volt 10 angled enclosures are)
Old 07-22-2014, 09:18 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGmouthinDC View Post
Yea I had a brainfart.

So after thinking more about this issue I reached the following conclusions

1) It may prove difficult to design a low profile speaker that can be timber matched with the other speakers in the system. Therefore an in-ceiling speaker is probably the best strategy and then replicated for other positions.

2) Assuming the ceiling is double drywall hung on clips and channel or separate floating joists cutting that big of a hole requires something that is a good "plug"

2) Using the principles of Damped mass for the plug. Take a speaker like the Volt coax or newer upgrades. Add damped mass to the sides and rear, a layer of 5/8 Drywall with Green Glue. Then substitute a modified front baffle with a one inch overhang on all four sides.

3) Glue/Screw/Caulk the speaker into place on the ceiling. If you doubt the holding power of your screws you can secure some backer strips of wood on the backside of the hole when it is open and then screw through the drywall into the wood.

4) Crossover modification might be required for the in ceiling location.

5) Make a frame slightly larger than the front baffle and cover with acoustically transparent fabric and mount it on the ceiling The final result is something an inch or less on the ceiling.

6) Then use the same speaker for the surrounds and maybe even the mains.

yeah this is a good idea. Like a ceiling style backer box. I guess if you took any existing design and used some GG and another layer of MDF of sheetrock on the outside of the box and designed the baffle to hang over at least 1" in all directions you could cut a hole and mount it up in the the hole you cut. You could even do two layers + double GG if you wanted extra, just the hole and baffle would be bigger.

The crossover mods I am not sure about. Perhaps just a tad of EQ if you are not changing the box it shouldn't be too extreme, it would be like mounting the LCR in a baffle wall I'd assume except the baffle is the ceiling in this case. Designs that work in baffle walls probably would work in this scenario, and likewise speakers that suck in baffle walls for whatever reason would not be a good choice.

Going this route also alleviates the depth problem since you have some extra depth to work with. But it might need to fit between joists so width could be a concern. I think you could fit a FUSION8 or a MINION6 into this config but the sweet spot of the waveguide is probably too small unless it's a high ceiling.

Makes me think of Tux's in wall speakers a little.

I don't know enough about ATMOS to know if the wide dispersion of a coaxial would be a good thing or not. It might be.

Tux has this: (stole pic from 1099 design thread, ignore the 1099 protype...lol )

Like this:

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	940af7c6_TMWtux10-97_zps98c73cb9.jpeg
Views:	459
Size:	18.9 KB
ID:	174466  

-

Old 07-22-2014, 09:57 AM
AVS Special Member

I think the crossover modifications for this design would be minimal as well. I think the original idea was to add another layer on the front of the baffle, which I think would have caused more issue. Although, if a coaxial is being used, that may not be the case. I don't know much about it, but I think mounting the speaker baffle flush with the ceiling is a good idea.

Old 07-22-2014, 03:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Do these speakers need to play strong at 80hz, or would 90-100hz be okay?

Old 07-22-2014, 03:51 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Do these speakers need to play strong at 80hz, or would 90-100hz be okay?
I don't imagine those 20hz would matter much. Why do you ask ?

-

Old 07-22-2014, 04:03 PM
AVS Special Member

I think pioneer's "ATMOS enabled" units cross at something like 150-200, but I would personally give up 3-5dB sensitivity for an 80Hz XO.
Mfusick likes this.
Old 07-22-2014, 04:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Some of the coaxials can be put in a smaller enclosure if they didn't need to get around 80hz.

I think if we had some guidelines on what enclosure sizes work for most people that might help narrow ideas down a bit.

How loud do they need to be and what kind of power handling?

Old 07-22-2014, 04:54 PM
AVS Special Member

The depth depends on whether the plan is for on-ceiling or in-ceiling installation. I'd rather not cut holes in my ceiling. So as shallow as possible would be my answer.

maybe the other way to approach it is how shallow can the enclosure reasonably be?

Old 07-22-2014, 04:58 PM
AVS Special Member

I agree - can we flip the question? The depth issue is very real, and I know I would be reluctant to hang anything deeper than 6-8 inches from my ceiling. What would I have to give up in extension and/or sensitivity to get there?