Forum Jump: 
 50Likes

post #211 of 254 Old 08-20-2014, 05:39 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1046 Post(s)
Liked: 885
BTW, even though this thread is about ceiling mounted speakers and not upward-firing Atmos-enabled speakers, for the sake of reference here is what the Dolby patent says about the filtering used on the upward firing speakers:
Quote:
In an embodiment, the adaptive audio system utilizes upward-firing drivers to provide the height element. In general, it has been shown that incorporating signal processing to introduce perceptual height cues into the audio signal being fed to the upward-firing drivers improves the positioning and perceived quality of the virtual height signal.

For example, a parametric perceptual binaural hearing model has been developed to create a height cue filter, which when used to process audio being reproduced by an upward-firing driver, improves that perceived quality of the reproduction. In an embodiment, the height cue filter is derived from the both the physical speaker location (approximately level with the listener) and the reflected speaker location (above the listener).

For the physical speaker location, a directional filter is determined based on a model of the outer ear (or pinna). An inverse of this filter is next determined and used to remove the height cues from the physical speaker. Next, for the reflected speaker location, a second directional filter is determined, using the same model of the outer ear. This filter is applied directly, essentially reproducing the cues the ear would receive if the sound were above the listener.

In practice, these filters may be combined in a way that allows for a single filter that both (1) removes the height cue from the physical speaker location, and (2) inserts the height cue from the reflected speaker location. FIG. 1600 is a graph that illustrates the frequency response for such a combined filter.

The combined filter may be used in a fashion that allows for some adjustability with respect to the aggressiveness or amount of filtering that is applied. For example, in some cases, it may be beneficial to not fully remove the physical speaker height cue, or fully apply the reflected speaker height cue since only some of the sound from the physical speaker arrives directly to the listener (with the remainder being reflected off the ceiling).

Sanjay
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #212 of 254 Old 08-20-2014, 09:16 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erich H View Post
Guys I've been looking around and think we could get down in the mid 80hz range with a 6.5" coaxial in a .3cuft enclosure. The enclosure could be a good amount smaller if we didn't need to get down that low. How does that sound? Seems like a good idea for angled surrounds, and then maybe a smaller enclosure for Atmos.

Any ideas on the enclosure shape for the Atmos model?
Do you know the dispersion of these 6.5" coaxials? I guess if they are less than 90 degrees then they would need to be angled slightly towards the mlp.

Epson Home Cinema 3010 Projector____Paradigm 9SE MK II Main LR
Yamaha RX-V667 AVR_______________Paradigm CC-270 V.3 Center
Emotiva UPA-5 Amplifier______________Paradigm PS-1200 Sub
Sony BDP-570 Blu Ray_______________Polk bookshelf for Surrounds
post #213 of 254 Old 08-21-2014, 07:26 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Guys I've been looking around and think we could get down in the mid 80hz range with a 6.5" coaxial in a .3cuft enclosure. The enclosure could be a good amount smaller if we didn't need to get down that low. How does that sound? Seems like a good idea for angled surrounds, and then maybe a smaller enclosure for Atmos.

Any ideas on the enclosure shape for the Atmos model?
Ive looked and looked and cant find the dispersion for the 6.5'' or 8'' coaxials anywhere. I know the beyma coaxials are 70* conical so I would assume the beta's are close to that if not smaller.
For box shape, i would love to see it wide and shallow with a slight angled baffle to not take up much space on ceiling. Dont get me wrong, Ill cut holes if I have to but on ceiling would just be easier. 80hz or 100hz sounds great to me, if the box is substantially smaller at 100hz, that sounds like the best option.
post #214 of 254 Old 08-21-2014, 10:16 AM

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 45
From my post #194 about the Volt 8:
From the usspeaker.com website,
the overall depth of the unit is 3.5 inches, so could there be a vented box, .65 ft^3 designed to minimize depth, keep the speaker very close to the ceiling and allow proper aiming OR
A sealed version requires only .2 to .3 ft3^. that's half the size box, but what is the possible overall FR?
It seems most will be using an xo of at least 80 and maybe even 100 Hz so the low end of 88 may be extended by the design(?) for smoother transition(?) IDK
And what is the DI?
I think a trapezoidal box could accommodate the depth/diameter but keep the edges shallower so angulation might be easier to obtain wrt to the mounting system.
depending on the mounting system, one designed for as close to the (8 ft.) (expected standard) as possible, the speaker would not necessarily be center mounted in the (sealed) box.
How much does "regularity"/uniformity of the box shape if sealed effect the desired overall FR. IDK.
Of course a less than standard and easily cut and assembled rectangular "box" is a tougher call/design/assembly challenge
but for some, the challenges are a good bit of what DIY is all about.
And we know you're out there . . . so speak UP!

Denon X4000 , Emotiva UPA7, Yamaha 663 for 14.3, configurable from 10.3 and up
Klipsch F3 FL/R, G-28 CenterLow, Icon 25 CenterHigh, RC3II: SL/R SLX: Rears ,TF & TR, RB51's:FH
2 30" BF THTLP'S and SubMaximus and Inuke6000DSP
Mitsy DLP 73837 Xbox1 PS4 Panny BD 220
post #215 of 254 Old 08-21-2014, 03:49 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by asarose247 View Post
From my post #194 about the Volt 8:
From the usspeaker.com website,
the overall depth of the unit is 3.5 inches, so could there be a vented box, .65 ft^3 designed to minimize depth, keep the speaker very close to the ceiling and allow proper aiming
Is that 3.5 inches with the compression driver installed?
post #216 of 254 Old 08-21-2014, 03:50 PM
Bass Enabler

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 483 Post(s)
Liked: 814
Most likey with out the CD attached.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Plan9Reloaded Co-host

Listen to the Plan9Reloaded Gaming and Technology Podcast (may contain NSFW language)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- direct pod link

- main website

post #217 of 254 Old 08-21-2014, 03:56 PM
Advanced Member

Then add another 1.5 inches for the CD, so the minimum depth would be closer to 5 inches for the woofer and CD.
post #218 of 254 Old 08-21-2014, 04:04 PM - Thread Starter
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 289 Post(s)
Liked: 617
Rumor has it that Triad will have their Atmos speaker concept at CEDIA I will report back. For that matter I will try to get details on what everyone is hyping on the subject.

PROJECTS:

post #219 of 254 Old 08-22-2014, 06:45 AM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 23

Here is my DIY in ceiling coaxials x4. Just did them a few days ago.

PeterV
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	164.9 KB
ID:	223601  
post #220 of 254 Old 08-22-2014, 06:49 AM

This is the rear pair.

PeterV
Attached Thumbnails

Views:	80
Size:	190.1 KB
ID:	223625  
post #221 of 254 Old 08-22-2014, 06:53 AM

Here is a side pic.

PeterV
Attached Thumbnails

Views:	68
Size:	179.0 KB
ID:	223633  
post #222 of 254 Old 08-22-2014, 08:30 AM

Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonleepenn View Post

Here is my DIY in ceiling coaxials x4. Just did them a few days ago.

PeterV
Nice, what angle and distance from MLP did you end up going with? And are they in line with front left and rights?
post #223 of 254 Old 08-22-2014, 09:58 AM - Thread Starter
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 289 Post(s)
Liked: 617
I heard from a somewhat reliable source that Triad Atmos designs are based on the ceiling bounce design. Not really thrilled.

PROJECTS:

post #224 of 254 Old 08-22-2014, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SubSolar View Post
Nice, what angle and distance from MLP did you end up going with? And are they in line with front left and rights?
They fire downward and are about 6 plus feet apart front to back.
They are about 8' wide apart. I can and will install another pair forward of the front pair which will become the middle pair these will then be the front ones when that becomes possible. In the mean time I need a angle cabinet for the front pair ASAP . I will also use front wides . I'll see how these that are up work out, there is no software or avr to try them with however sound great with stereo/movies. At this point I'm just experimenting until the goods are in.

PeterV
post #225 of 254 Old 08-22-2014, 11:52 AM

I have no agenda about this, other than a better design, so consider this ( I'm retired, remember)

the volt 8" coax needs a 7.75" bolt pattern. so lets make that inside dimensions 8.25, close tolerance, so use BB
and with the CD a depth of maybe 5" so lets go with 5.5"
so internal V is about 374 . .2 ft3^ is 346 and the upper range for sealed is .3ft3^ or about 519.
I haven't plugged in the loss volumes of the speaker or the CD but there's about 160 cu. in to play with which may also allow the xo to be inside.
at a "height " of 6.5" the V goes to 442cu in. , still a relatively small package.
Does anybody know how to model this thing for the low end that will give us a solid 80/100 xo for the AVR.
Or just wait and buy something else already spec'd out . . . and save a lot of otherwise 'busy" work,
contrary to the ROI of DIY and the pleasure of good work done well.

TY

Klipsch F3 FL/R, G-28 CenterLow, Icon 25 CenterHigh, RC3II: SL/R SLX: Rears ,TF & TR, RB51's:FH
post #226 of 254 Old 08-24-2014, 11:20 AM

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Anyone considered 8" woofer with the DNA150 CD in 8" waveguide?

I have slanted ceilings around 15°. That means the ceiling Speakers will be angled those 15° towards the MLP. Now the rear ceiling speakers are fairly easy mounted for maximum horizontal dispersion across the MLP area it will actually give even coverage since I only have one row. The front ceiling however I considered turning 90° in reference to the rear ceiling in order to utilize good horizontal dispersion towards the MLP. I calculated the off axis to be 30-35°. Make sense? The design I am considering costs 100$ which is awesome when you need 8:-)
post #227 of 254 Old 08-24-2014, 11:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 274 Post(s)
Liked: 567
Quote:
Originally Posted by clausdk View Post
Anyone considered 8" woofer with the DNA150 CD in 8" waveguide?
That was the Karma-8. It may eventually come back.

Twelve 10" NHT subwoofer build.
Cloning of a NHT VR-3.
2 ACI 15" subwoofers.

post #228 of 254 Old 08-24-2014, 11:41 AM

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Ah ok thats the one. I noticed on the DIYSG forum there's a new xo design. When needing 8 og them that low price point becomes quite attractive along with a good sounding design!:-)
post #229 of 254 Old 09-06-2014, 05:12 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Bumping this thread to see if anyone has made any headway... thinking about becoming an early Atmos adopter and interested in a Volt 8 type build.
post #230 of 254 Old 09-06-2014, 07:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 254 Post(s)
Liked: 257
I'm considering the same thing. I'd like to see a shallow volt v-8 enclosure.

Dude, are you made of leprechauns? Cause that was awesome!

post #231 of 254 Old 09-07-2014, 01:14 PM

freom post 219: Here is my DIY in ceiling coaxials x4. Just did them a few days ago.

For anyother lack of progress in this thread, would you care to share any particulars about any aspect of the build?

post #232 of 254 Old 09-07-2014, 01:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 274 Post(s)
Liked: 567
Samples for some cheaper 6" coaxials should be here any day now. They'll be tested/ordered quickly.
pgwalsh likes this.

Twelve 10" NHT subwoofer build.
Cloning of a NHT VR-3.
2 ACI 15" subwoofers.

post #233 of 254 Old 09-07-2014, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by asarose247 View Post
freom post 219: Here is my DIY in ceiling coaxials x4. Just did them a few days ago.

For anyother lack of progress in this thread, would you care to share any particulars about any aspect of the build?
What I did was to build boxes from mdf and fit them to the ceiling cavity . Nothing fancy just functional, used the eminence 8cx coaxial,
1001 cd and 2.5khz crossover. Further since doing the in ceilings i've
also built a pair of on ceiling slanted boxes that will allow me to hear
Which pair and distance best suits the needs within my room.
So now I have six cd/coaxial speakers for atmos. Even though the denon 5200 will only do four ceiling speakers I have essentially 2fronts,2middle and 2rear. Because of my rooms ceilings layout I need to experiment and hear how best to utilize the ceiling setup.
I can do a front ht and top rear, or a number of different setups as mention in the manual. My denon 5200 will be here on Tuesday the 9th, so I'm looking forward to getting started.

PeterV
post #234 of 254 Old 09-07-2014, 06:37 PM

^ thank you

Many of us here are avidly keen for what you may report back about your results.
In as much as they are not the "upward firing etc." your subjective/objective findings will be of much interest wrt to setting an XO aand how it does for the overhead sound.
The 5200 has the basic DSU iirc.
What would you listen to first? other than the set-up stuff, I mean?

post #235 of 254 Old 09-08-2014, 05:19 AM

First off, like everyone I wish that a atmos Blu-ray Disc would be here to demo.
With that said some one around here said that something regarding software
Would be coming down the pike maybe today,don't hold me to it,I heard it from some other party on this forum.
I was able to run a demo with the DIY speakers in the ceiling & on by connecting them to my denon 4311ci just to here and get an idea of how they sound up on the ceiling. What I did was connect the top rear to my back surround input,the middle
Pair to the side surround input and the front top pair to the height input of the 4311.
I ran audyssey and sat back with my buddy and listened, the results were amazing,
The diy's came thru nicely,they pretty much timbre matched and were set to 80hz by Audyssey . They are close enough to the L&R sight line, I think there is some
le-way here for placement not a lot but some. I think it was Roger Dressler who said the same thing. So Asarose247 you should be good to go how you set up that cool rail/rack on your ceiling which you mounted the speakers to. More people here should consider that setup of yours it would fit for many who have a similar layout.
When the 5200 is setup I will run some movies with heavy surround , like transformer dark side of the moon etc. Hope the upmixer setting does it justice.

PeterV
post #236 of 254 Old 09-11-2014, 07:42 PM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 12
On a 12ft ceiling, do the height speakers have to be aimed? or can they point straight down? I don't know about hanging Volt V-10 boxes on ceiling (wife would freak!), but maybe white grills with volts hidden behind? Just lay the volt boxes face down with driver shooting through the 10" hole and speaker grill? or would the thickness of the drywall mess things up?
post #237 of 254 Old 09-11-2014, 08:31 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked: 827
The Dolby rep I spoke with today at cedia recommended pointing them at the LP and a 45 degree dispersion pattern.
post #238 of 254 Old 09-11-2014, 08:44 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Erich, glad to hear this is a possibility!! I know you're re-structuring and focusing on bigger projects, but these lower-cost speakers are helpful to us with smaller budgets getting started

Toed my pair in to cross in front of the MLP and it's so smooth/seamless without a center, seeing now why some prefer going phantom

Still anticipating the results of the higher cost coax's and towers for the future, too

Keep up the hard work
post #239 of 254 Old 09-12-2014, 12:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mfusick View Post
The Dolby rep I spoke with today at cedia recommended pointing them at the LP and a 45 degree dispersion pattern.
That flys in the face of Dolby's own white paper that says 90 degrees plus!

Peter the Greek

Redefining snail pace construction
"what is worth knowing is difficult to learn"

post #240 of 254 Old 09-12-2014, 06:15 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked: 827
Perhaps he meant one direction ? Lol. Like left only.

He was really clear on it, and the first rep brought him over to answer my question on dispersion pattern.

It sounded odd to me too.

For what it's worth they used triad brand in ceiling themselves.

The procella demo sounded better to me, those were the normal not Atmos specific models which have 80 degree pattern but on the ceiling in Atmos locations.
Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page