Wiring for DIY Subs in a Dedicated HT - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 13 Old 06-24-2014, 12:55 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Wiring for DIY Subs in a Dedicated HT

My rack is about 30' from where my subs will be. The subs are passive (2 18" UXL DIY ported boxes) and will be concealed by a AT screen.

I'm likely going to power them with a iNuke 6000DSP which will be in the rack.

I haven't hooked anything up higher end like this (always just plugged directly from the AVR into a powered sub).

It looks like the 6000DSP has XLR outputs.

I've read around and it seems that people run shielded RG6 as their sub cable and then use various connectors to get it to whatever format they need.

So it sounds like I'll need something like

6000DSP <-> XLR <-> RG6 (30' run) <-> **connector** <-> DIY Sub

Is this completely wrong? I ask because when I google "XLR to RG6" I get nothing.

Also when people build passive subs, what connection do you tend to leave on the outside of the box? XLR? RCA?

This DIY sub noob thanks for the answers.

My Home Theater Build:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by ClemsonJeeper; 06-24-2014 at 01:06 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 06-24-2014, 01:10 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClemsonJeeper View Post
My rack is about 30' from where my subs will be. The subs are passive (2 18" UXL DIY ported boxes) and will be concealed by a AT screen.

I'm likely going to power them with a iNuke 6000DSP which will be in the rack.

I haven't hooked anything up higher end like this (always just plugged directly from the AVR into a powered sub).

It looks like the 6000DSP has XLR outputs.

I've read around and it seems that people run shielded RG6 as their sub cable and then use various connectors to get it to whatever format they need.

So it sounds like I'll need something like

XLR <-> RG6 (30' run) <-> **connector** <-> DIY Sub

Is this completely wrong? I ask because when I google "XLR to RG6" I get nothing.

Also when people build passive subs, what connection do you tend to leave on the outside of the box? XLR? RCA?

This DIY sub noob thanks for the answers.
You need XLR for the input, speakon for the output.

Buy an RCA > XLR (usually male to male) adapter to connect your reciever to the Inuke.

On the output side, make a speakon cable out of bare speaker wire, for each output, channel A and B, wire each output to its corresponding subwoofer.

Someone else can chime in because I own a Inuke3000 not 6000, I don't think the 6000 can be bridged so you want to run +1 -1 on both ends of the speakon for a 4 ohm load to the UXL's, I'm pretty sure.

Edit: These work if you were wondering what connectors and terminals.

http://www.parts-express.com/neutrik...mount--092-054

http://www.parts-express.com/neutrik-nl4fx-speakon-spx-cable-connector-4p--092-190
post #3 of 13 Old 06-24-2014, 01:28 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thatsnasty View Post
You need XLR for the input, speakon for the output.

Buy an RCA > XLR (usually male to male) adapter to connect your reciever to the Inuke.

On the output side, make a speakon cable out of bare speaker wire, for each output, channel A and B, wire each output to its corresponding subwoofer.

Someone else can chime in because I own a Inuke3000 not 6000, I don't think the 6000 can be bridged so you want to run +1 -1 on both ends of the speakon for a 4 ohm load to the UXL's, I'm pretty sure.

Edit: These work if you were wondering what connectors and terminals.

http://www.parts-express.com/neutrik...mount--092-054

http://www.parts-express.com/neutrik-nl4fx-speakon-spx-cable-connector-4p--092-190
Excellent, great information.

So how do I tie the ~30' RG6 in-wall run into this? Basically, how do I get the signal from the output of the 6000DSP 30' away to the speakers in the front of the room without loss of power/signal?

Or should I look at moving the 6000DSP behind the screen wall to keep it close to the speaker and just run the pre-out through the wall?

My Home Theater Build:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #4 of 13 Old 06-24-2014, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Excellent, great information.

So how do I tie the ~30' RG6 in-wall run into this? Basically, how do I get the signal from the output of the 6000DSP 30' away to the speakers in the front of the room without loss of power/signal?

Or should I look at moving the 6000DSP behind the screen wall to keep it close to the speaker and just run the pre-out through the wall?
It shouldn't really matter as long as you aren't TOO far away, I would wager

Are you asking how do you get the in wall wire to accept the subs and amp?
You need the 4 pole speakon connectors I linked, one on each side of your in wall wire. 1+ -1 is standard connection unless you are running the amp in bridge mode ( don't think your 6000 can be bridged).
One speakon goes into the output of the amp, the other goes into the input of the subs, connected to the terminal I also linked.

Is that right?

Edit: Oh wait, your wall wire is Rg6, so cable coax? I'm not sure how you can wire that to an amp... isn't that just one solid copper wire? You need 2 wires for speakon outputs. Maybe someone can chime in how exactly to use that, if it's possible.

Last edited by Thatsnasty; 06-24-2014 at 01:43 PM.
post #5 of 13 Old 06-24-2014, 01:46 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
It shouldn't really matter as long as you aren't TOO far away, I would wager

Are you asking how do you get the in wall wire to accept the subs and amp?
You need the 4 pole speakon connectors I linked, one on each side of your in wall wire. 1+ -1 is standard connection unless you are running the amp in bridge mode ( don't think your 6000 can be bridged).
One speakon goes into the output of the amp, the other goes into the input of the subs, connected to the terminal I also linked.

Is that right?
Maybe a bit of a disconnect, but I appreciate the responses. The question I'm asking is, what wire should I pull in-wall between my rack and the front where the speakers are.

I've read that people use RG6, but I'm not sure if that is appropriate for high power (after the amp) wiring.

Edit after your edit. Yup that's what I mean.

I'm not stuck on RG6 at all, its just what I had laying around and read people use that for subwoofers, but I'm getting the impression that is the PREAMP signal (eg, AVR Preamp -> RCA -> F Type -> RG6 (long in wall run) -> F Type -> RCA -> XLR -> AMPLIFIER -> SPEAKON CABLE -> Sub)

My Home Theater Build:

Last edited by ClemsonJeeper; 06-24-2014 at 01:49 PM.
post #6 of 13 Old 06-24-2014, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Maybe a bit of a disconnect, but I appreciate the responses. The question I'm asking is, what wire should I pull in-wall between my rack and the front where the speakers are.

I've read that people use RG6, but I'm not sure if that is appropriate for high power (after the amp) wiring.
I think you're right that Coax is just used for RCA/s Preamp.

Stranded 12 gauge copper speaker wire should work for just about everything.

Monoprice is good for prices on these kind of things.

http://www.monoprice.com/Category?c_...&cs_id=1023901

Last edited by Thatsnasty; 06-24-2014 at 02:01 PM.
post #7 of 13 Old 06-24-2014, 02:03 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Stranded 12 gauge copper speaker wire should work for just about everything.

Monoprice is good for prices on these kind of things.

http://www.monoprice.com/Category?c_...&cs_id=1023901
Gooooooooot it now. I am wiring my theater up this week and already have a 500ft roll of 12 gauge coming for the main speakers in the system.

http://www.parts-express.com/wired-h...00-ft--101-205

So sounds like I can just run one extra for each sub.

The 12 gauge wire should be able to handle 3000w without a problem over that length?

One further question for hookup, I assume I'll just use a RCA splitter from the sub pre-out on my AVR then get 2 RCA->XLR adapters and tie them into "A" and "B" inputs on the 6000DSP. Then put it in "stereo" mode, and the outputs from A & B go to the individual subs?

(I have a lot to learn :-)

My Home Theater Build:
post #8 of 13 Old 06-24-2014, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Gooooooooot it now. I am wiring my theater up this week and already have a 500ft roll of 12 gauge coming for the main speakers in the system.

http://www.parts-express.com/wired-h...00-ft--101-205

So sounds like I can just run one extra for each sub.

The 12 gauge wire should be able to handle 3000w without a problem over that length?

One further question for hookup, I assume I'll just use a RCA splitter from the sub pre-out on my AVR then get 2 RCA->XLR adapters and tie them into "A" and "B" inputs on the 6000DSP. Then put it in "stereo" mode, and the outputs from A & B go to the individual subs?

(I have a lot to learn :-)
That's bang on correct. The only thing I have to add is the Inuke has something called parallel mode. i believe you can use that to drive both outputs with just one input so you don't have to split it.

The inuke is actually more like 2000w RMS which is fine for 12 gauge. I doubt you'd see that much constant power anyways.
post #9 of 13 Old 06-24-2014, 04:29 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
That's bang on correct. The only thing I have to add is the Inuke has something called parallel mode. i believe you can use that to drive both outputs with just one input so you don't have to split it.

The inuke is actually more like 2000w RMS which is fine for 12 gauge. I doubt you'd see that much constant power anyways.
Awesome. Thanks for your help!

My Home Theater Build:
post #10 of 13 Old 06-26-2014, 01:01 AM

Quote:
Awesome. Thanks for your help!
No problem!
Keep us updated around here, I know how much the DIY forum loves theater builds, you will definitely get some help from people way more intelligent then I.
post #11 of 13 Old 06-26-2014, 04:51 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
No problem!
Keep us updated around here, I know how much the DIY forum loves theater builds, you will definitely get some help from people way more intelligent then I.
All my speakers are DIY. :-). I already built 3 tempest 12 fusions for LCR as well as 4 angled volt 10s for surround duty.

I already have 2 of Erich's 18" ported Stonehenge flat packs in my garage awaiting assembly. Plan to mate them with 2 UXL 18s when they get back in stock soon.

I'm pretttttty sure this will sound halfway decent when done!

My Home Theater Build:
post #12 of 13 Old 06-26-2014, 05:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 304
I have a sneaking suspicion you'll want to pre-wire for two more UXL's for back. For seat to seat FR, I had to go with two more in rear. At the very least have snurf tubing from rack to back........believe me, you will thank me later!

My Build Threads

post #13 of 13 Old 06-26-2014, 10:27 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublewing11 View Post
I have a sneaking suspicion you'll want to pre-wire for two more UXL's for back. For seat to seat FR, I had to go with two more in rear. At the very least have snurf tubing from rack to back........believe me, you will thank me later!
The rear of the theater is adjacent to the room with the rack. Not a problem at all. The only problem would be fitting 16" deep speakers into the rear of the room since I plan on the rear row being pretty much against the back of the room :-/

My Home Theater Build:
Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page