Can you still add more speakers for Atmos if all your surround speakers are ceiling? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 11Likes
  • 1 Post By chalugadp
  • 1 Post By Scott Simonian
  • 2 Post By tential
  • 1 Post By jbrown15
  • 1 Post By Martycool007
  • 1 Post By AV Science Sales 5
  • 1 Post By BassThatHz
  • 2 Post By Manic1!
  • 1 Post By Mfusick

post #1 of 12 Old 06-24-2014, 06:58 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Question Can you still add more speakers for Atmos if all your surround speakers are ceiling?

Does anyone know if adding 1-2 pairs of ceiling speakers for Atmos is possible if your surround left/right speakers are already in the ceiling?

Reason I am asking is this (here is a photo of our living room - TV is blue on wall):

The only configuration I can figure out without using freestanding speakers is for our front + front R and front L to be in the wall by the TV, and all other speakers in the (16' high) ceiling. There is a small back corner wall section by the porch door but that is only on one (the R) side - maybe in-wall subwoofer can go there. So that means the rear surround R+L will need to go in the ceiling, and then if adding Atmos another 1-2 pairs of speakers would go in the ceiling as well.

Anyone have any advice on what to do in this situation? Can 2-3 pairs of ceiling speakers do both Atmos + regular R+L rear surround?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 06-24-2014, 08:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 776 Post(s)
Liked: 946
Don't know but sweeeeet pad
timriley likes this.
post #3 of 12 Old 06-24-2014, 10:19 PM
Bass Enabler

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 447 Post(s)
Liked: 800
SSeeeexxxxyyyyyy!

So yeah, maybe install new speakers that are lower and make those your surrounds and hook up the speakers in the ceiling to be heights.

You know... if that's possible. I might not even bother if I had a pad like that. Dayum!
timriley likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Plan9Reloaded Co-host

Listen to the Plan9Reloaded Gaming and Technology Podcast (may contain NSFW language)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- direct pod link

- main website

post #4 of 12 Old 06-24-2014, 10:22 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Lol... is that really where you live? Looks like one of those renderings lol.
Mfusick and timriley like this.
post #5 of 12 Old 06-24-2014, 10:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 636 Post(s)
Liked: 860
If that really is his pad that's extremely impressive!
timriley likes this.
post #6 of 12 Old 06-25-2014, 04:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 184 Post(s)
Liked: 153
Wow! What a modern, pretty looking space! No way I would put any big ugly boxes around that TV, so the next best thing, besides in walls, would be on-walls. Do some looking around, maybe PM Matt (MTG90) or Ryan (Tux) and see if they might be willing to help you design and build a high quality on-wall trio of your from L+C+R speakers. You do have the possibility of doing any of the Seos line mounted flush with the wall, but, they may take up too much wall space or have to low of a WAF.

You could DIY a really nice three way on-wall using either high efficiency speakers or more traditional speakers. It really all depends on your listening habits and how large your room is.

If you watch mostly movies at high or near reference level volume, then I would personally recommend a Beyma TPL-150 and two AE TD10's in an MTM configuration flush mounted to the wall, or if your listening habits involve more music in addition to movies and would rather have a fairly attractive on-wall speaker, you could build a RAAL tweeter crossing over to a single Seas or ScanSpeak mid, and then they would hang off everything below 300hz to a single, (or possibly double), Scan Speak Revelator(s).

Sorry for all of the fantasy talk! I just love the initial stages of speaker selection!
timriley likes this.
post #7 of 12 Old 06-25-2014, 06:13 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 268 Post(s)
Liked: 399
Quote:
Originally Posted by timriley View Post
Does anyone know if adding 1-2 pairs of ceiling speakers for Atmos is possible if your surround left/right speakers are already in the ceiling?

Reason I am asking is this (here is a photo of our living room - TV is blue on wall):

The only configuration I can figure out without using freestanding speakers is for our front + front R and front L to be in the wall by the TV, and all other speakers in the (16' high) ceiling. There is a small back corner wall section by the porch door but that is only on one (the R) side - maybe in-wall subwoofer can go there. So that means the rear surround R+L will need to go in the ceiling, and then if adding Atmos another 1-2 pairs of speakers would go in the ceiling as well.

Anyone have any advice on what to do in this situation? Can 2-3 pairs of ceiling speakers do both Atmos + regular R+L rear surround?
If your couch was where the chair (that faces the TV) was then you could have a balanced setup. Place Left front, right front and center in the wall. For the side surround speakers, you could use something like this: http://www.triadspeakers.com/products/icb8lcr.html You would space them toward the side enough that the angle of the speaker baffle would be aimed at the listening position. Use the same speaker for the rear surround. Once again, set so that the angled baffle was aimed at the listening position. Then place (guessing here) two speakers for Atmos. As far as what to use for Atmos, you could probably use a couple more of the Triad's. Don't know for sure, until specs are released for Atmos. All grills could be custom matched to the color of your ceiling. If we can help you, give us a call. Nice room, but tough for HT. What is your view of?
timriley likes this.

Mike Garrett, AV Science Sales Call Me: 585-671-2968
Email Me:

Brands we sell: 

Call for B-stock projectors
Stewart, Seymour, SE, SI, Falcon & many more.
RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Technology, MK Sound, BG Radia, SVS & Def Tech.
post #8 of 12 Old 06-25-2014, 11:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 226 Post(s)
Liked: 352
I'm sure the home edition of Atmos will be quite limited, at least for the first version of it.
I wouldn't expect the extra 6 channels to be dynamically assignable at all. (If it did I'd be all over it.)
I'm pretty sure those outputs will be designated statically as "wides and heights only", dynamic panning across 13 channels is one thing, 6 dynamically relocatable virtual speakers is a whole 'nother level.
Not in their sub <$1000 AVR's at best.
timriley likes this.

"If Bad Sound Were Fatal, Audio Would Be the Leading Cause of Death."

post #9 of 12 Old 06-25-2014, 11:45 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 24
In that space I would just go with the front 3 and a sub and call it a day and find a dedicated space for a HT.
Mfusick and timriley like this.
post #10 of 12 Old 06-26-2014, 07:19 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 162 Post(s)
Liked: 811
That room is nice aesthetically but terrible for a theater. Do not waste effort forcing something that won't be optimal. You do not need ATMOS in that space. Find a better space or skip ATMOS.

In order to pull off ATMOS properly it would go against the aesthetic element of that space. Unless you are willing to go there it isn't worth the trouble for poor results.
timriley likes this.

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
post #11 of 12 Old 06-26-2014, 12:17 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks!!

Thank all for the kind comments and for your suggestions and advice! - much appreciated! I have a lot to think about now.
@tential : you're right this is actually a render of our living room (currently in process of being built) by our architect. They were able to incorporate all the finishes we picked in the render (except for the furniture - those tables, lighting and chairs weren't our doing).
@AV Science Sales: the Triad Speakers look really interesting and may be just what we are looking for to direct the sound, thanks! The view is south-facing into our backyard (one floor above ground) - our lot is on a sloped hill in Halifax, Nova Scotia
@Manic1! /Mfusick: yes, I think you're right - it's going to be tough getting good acoustics in this space. Ideally if I had a wall (or planter?) on the left by those stairs that I could hide an ear-level set of speakers, that might help but it would kill the open aesthetics of the room. I think I migth have to limit myself to 3.1 on the front wall by the TV and maybe 2 highly-directed ceiling pairs of speakers for a quasi-7.1. We might have to consider converting one of the small 4-walled bedrooms into a dedicated HT-space with Atmos...
post #12 of 12 Old 06-26-2014, 12:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 166 Post(s)
Liked: 183
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mfusick View Post
That room is nice aesthetically but terrible for a theater. Do not waste effort forcing something that won't be optimal. You do not need ATMOS in that space. Find a better space or skip ATMOS.

In order to pull off ATMOS properly it would go against the aesthetic element of that space. Unless you are willing to go there it isn't worth the trouble for poor results.

Agreed. The appearance is stunning, but for sound, that room will be a nightmare. All of the reflections from the glass and hard surfaces will wreak havoc on the sound. Besides, the ceiling speakers are so far away, that the sound will just blend and lose it's placement.
Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page