20Likes

post #1 of 34 Old 06-25-2014, 05:58 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 359 Post(s)
Liked: 718
Speaker Design in Sketchup

I have created a basic video tutorial for speaker design in sketchup. The volume plugin I talk about is found here
http://www.cad-addict.com/2008/11/sk...alculator.html
Adding plugins is simple for version 13 of sketchup. The latest version of sketchup is 14 and plugins are more challenging to add.
Copy the plugin you download from cadaddict and paste it in the sketchup folder in the plugins sub folder. Then start sketchup and when you right click on a grouped item you should see the volume category.

If their are more advanced things you need to know let me know.

Here is the link for more videos
http://vimeo.com/user3132462/videos

Here is the link to my teacher sketchup site where you can download plugins
http://teachers.sd43.bc.ca/dpurych/C...ceplugins.aspx
then to download follow attachment.

Here is second video

Attached Images
File Type: png plug.png (20.5 KB, 2 views)
Willie, kevings, Mfusick and 6 others like this.

Last edited by chalugadp; 06-30-2014 at 05:59 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 34 Old 06-26-2014, 04:19 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked: 835
great video.

I ran into a problem. after creating the arc, I tried to select the arc section and it just highlighted the whole panel.

as a test, I created a second panel on the right, drew an arc on it, and was able to select just the arc'd out section.

any idea what happened?

Attached Images
File Type: png a.png (102.4 KB, 229 views)
File Type: png b.png (103.3 KB, 225 views)

Listen. It's All Good.
post #3 of 34 Old 06-26-2014, 04:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 1195
It appears that the panel in the first picture is a component. You can't add anything to a component unless you're in edit mode.

Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design

The Laws of Physics aren't swayed by opinion.
post #4 of 34 Old 06-26-2014, 06:01 AM
AVS Addicted Member

it was a group.

I had to "explode" it first.

then, it worked fine.
Bombelman likes this.

Listen. It's All Good.
post #5 of 34 Old 06-26-2014, 06:33 AM
AVS Addicted Member

not exactly anything one would build, but i seem to have the basics working. thanks again.

Attached Images
File Type: png w.png (106.2 KB, 211 views)
Bombelman likes this.

Listen. It's All Good.
post #6 of 34 Old 06-26-2014, 07:25 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 658
I'll need to play with this; learning curves suck.

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
post #7 of 34 Old 06-26-2014, 07:29 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Every mistake in sketchup almost revolves around groups and components. You were not in edit mode. All modification happens in edit mode. All moving ,copying, rotating, happens in group mode..
Bombelman likes this.
post #8 of 34 Old 06-26-2014, 08:11 AM
AVS Addicted Member

if working with grouped items, then one has to be in edit mode.

another method is to 'explode' the item, then modify, then regroup.

your tutorial really helped get me going. i spent several hours watching the official videos, but still couldn't even get started.

now i am up and running. a basic sealed enclosure. double front mounted baffle with recess. 2" thick window brace. round over edges.

i copied, pasted, and moved the panels instead of redrawing them all, just to learn that functionality.

in the tutorial, i saw that there is a "follow" technique. could something like that be used to create a roundover and trace it all over the entire enclosure instead of going one piece at a time?

how does one apply roundover to the recessed baffle?

Attached Images
File Type: png t1.png (26.9 KB, 197 views)
File Type: png t2.png (30.9 KB, 198 views)

Listen. It's All Good.
post #9 of 34 Old 06-26-2014, 09:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 260
Awesome post, thanks for making this chalugadp! I'll be sure to add this to the DIY FAQ.

I've spent quite a bit of time drawing in SU and I'll add a few tips I've learned along the way. Youtube is blocked here at work so forgive me if I'm duplicating what is in the video. I will watch tonight though. I had not used or seen the volume calculator yet, so a big thanks for that!

-For anyone looking to export a design to CNC or to a cut sheet list, creating components for each panel or brace is a MUST. Keep in mind this is different than simply 'grouping.' Naming convention is not so important, but creating a component for each piece you would like to cut is. For anyone using Vectric Aspire, one can directly import sketchup files and create cutsheets from them.
-Layers: Adding each component to a layer gives you an easy way to hide/display each panel as your a building and checking for fitment, interference, etc. This is nice if you just want to hide the side or front panels to build bracing
-The move/copy function is super handy for creating equal spacing guide lines for creating bracing
-Creating circle tip: You may noticed creating a circle is a bit choppy and not a smooth circle. Right click, properties and change number of segments to 150 - this really helps clear it up.
-LEARN THE SHORTCUTS. Example: T for tape measure, P for push pull, R for rectangle, center mouse button to orbit, shift + center mouse button to pan. This saves a LOT of time when done repetitively.

This is also where I started - another great resource: (This is great for learning dados, joinery, and dimensioning)
http://sketchupforwoodworkers.com/

Basic Examples:
Full enclosure with nothing hidden and dimensions

Inside view (hide outside baffles)

Exported directly into Aspire

I will also add more if you guys find this useful.
Bombelman likes this.

Last edited by Gorilla83; 06-26-2014 at 09:46 AM.
post #10 of 34 Old 06-26-2014, 12:01 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTD02 View Post
if working with grouped items, then one has to be in edit mode.

another method is to 'explode' the item, then modify, then regroup.

your tutorial really helped get me going. i spent several hours watching the official videos, but still couldn't even get started.

now i am up and running. a basic sealed enclosure. double front mounted baffle with recess. 2" thick window brace. round over edges.

i copied, pasted, and moved the panels instead of redrawing them all, just to learn that functionality.

in the tutorial, i saw that there is a "follow" technique. could something like that be used to create a roundover and trace it all over the entire enclosure instead of going one piece at a time?

how does one apply roundover to the recessed baffle?

You don't want to explode items. Edit mode the way to go. I will do another video later today with how to roundover edges, some cool copy function's, and a couple other things.

Plugins make a huge difference. I get most of mine from sketchucation. I will put mine in a rar file in a later post today.

Gorilla made some good points.
post #11 of 34 Old 06-26-2014, 12:12 PM
AVS Addicted Member

just another test example. i was able to create a curve on the side of the baffle at the corner with a 0.75 radius 'tangent curve', then using the 'follow me' tool ran it around the baffle to create a nice round over.

i rounded over the side panel using a similar technique.

however, where all three meet, I'm not sure what to do. i get a little bit of 'rabbit ear' left.

here is it shown from behind:

Attached Images
File Type: png p1.png (53.4 KB, 173 views)
File Type: png p2.png (29.3 KB, 171 views)

Listen. It's All Good.
post #12 of 34 Old 06-26-2014, 01:25 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I just edited post one. I have included a link to my teacher website where you can download the plugins. Follow the attachment picture on the bottom of post one to download. after you install plugins and fire up sketchup again it might say something wouldn't load. Just ignore it. THe rounding corners will work. You do have to make menu visible by going to view toolbars.

I uploaded a second video to post one as well.
Enjoy
post #13 of 34 Old 06-26-2014, 02:21 PM
AVS Addicted Member

i did it the hard way. ;-)

i'm sure the plugin is easier.

Attached Images
File Type: png e1.png (40.3 KB, 159 views)
File Type: png e2.png (65.2 KB, 159 views)

Listen. It's All Good.
post #14 of 34 Old 06-26-2014, 02:27 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Always many ways to do stuff
post #15 of 34 Old 06-26-2014, 02:45 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 33
great topic, thanks for posting !

here is one of my drawings. is there anything I could improve, Sketchup-wise ?
(apart from the bracing)

Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (96.8 KB, 153 views)
post #16 of 34 Old 06-26-2014, 02:56 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Looks good. Only thing I would change is font size of measurements. Make it14 and bold and will be easier to read when you print it out.
post #17 of 34 Old 06-26-2014, 03:06 PM
AVS Addicted Member

that looks great. probably want some bracing in there...and like gorilla mentioned, if you clicked on the circle before punching it through, the numbers of sections can be increased to something like 99 or more, which gives a nice round circle instead of the polygon look.

not sure what exactly it is that you are copyrighting. that design has been in the public domain for probably 50 years. ;-)

Listen. It's All Good.
post #18 of 34 Old 06-26-2014, 03:12 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Yeah copyrighted by ltd production
post #19 of 34 Old 06-27-2014, 04:42 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTD02 View Post
not exactly anything one would build, but i seem to have the basics working. thanks again.

John u never know might be a mailman that's into home theater lol
post #20 of 34 Old 06-27-2014, 06:42 AM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Thank you for doing this. I guess i was just a little slow, or a lot a slow..lol..i tried to do it, made my first panel and could not get the damn this to stand up straight, only stayed in one dimension..all i could do was change the view and couldn't even connect a second piece..lol
Robert
LTD02 and chalugadp like this.

Sub build http://www.avsforum.com/forum/155-di...et-r-done.html
Center - JBL LC2
Mains - JBL L820
Surrounds - JBL L820
Sub -Updating to Duals with UXL-18"s A bit different
post #21 of 34 Old 06-27-2014, 01:51 PM

Liked: 14
Hi Gorilla and Chalugadp:

I know my questions below are difficult or impossible to answer without looking at my particular design. What I'd really like though is some general guidelines and advice for going down the path of having someone else cut my design. What would be really nice is if there were a standard output that could be created that anyone with a machine could cut but also a way to tell in advance if that output were correct.

I'm reasonably competent with Sketchup and started learning Aspire but I don't have a CNC machine. My hope is that I can prep files for Aspire then go hand off to a local CNC shop, assuming I can find one that is willing. I'd rather pay them (or you), including reasonable setup charges, than fill up my garage with tools I'll only use occasionally or a machine it will take me a year to learn how to use. But I would like to do as much of the software work myself as possible.

The design in question isn't a simple box. If it were, I would just use my table saw. Its a 3-way design with an integrated midhorn and beveled front baffle for fitting into a corner and will stand almost 4' tall. It would definitely challenge both my skill, patience, and tools.

Can I just naively drop components into Aspire and expect good results? That is about what I can do with the tool now and I can't really tell if that is sufficient. How much more to it is there than that? Do I have any hope of getting it right on the first try? Given these kind of considerations, what would you expect in terms of back and forth to the drawing board before its finally good enough?

Thanks for your help,
Jack
post #22 of 34 Old 06-27-2014, 03:47 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I have never done CNC so I can't help there. Can you post a sketchup picture or real picture of the speaker you want ? I can then tell you if its easier then you think, and doesn't need a lot of tools (possibly).
post #23 of 34 Old 06-28-2014, 04:27 AM

SEOS18 Midhorn Tower Front.jpg

SEOS18 Rear Xray.jpg

Here you go, I hope, having some trouble with attachments. Just remember, easy for you might not be easy for me....

Just a few words about the design itself. Its a SEOS-18 corner tower with a midhorn and a downfiring woofer. The midhorn has two offset mounted 8FE200 drivers and provides the same benefits as in a Synergy but married to a separate horn for the CD. Nevertheless it gives directional control down to 400 hz, horn again above, and acoustic filtering of distortion products. the AE TD12X woofer overlaps the midhorn between 150 and 300 Hz. With corner gain and some EQ it should be flat down to 20 hz. Its going to be all active/DSP crossover. Why not just do a Synergy? I probably will some day but I want to do this first. There is another order of difficulty in getting the Synergy right and this might be just as good for its intended use in the home with just a few seats.

Jack
asarose247 likes this.
post #24 of 34 Old 06-28-2014, 12:40 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 27
thank you, thank you, i cant thank you enough...i have been playing sketchup but its a slow learning curve, this tutorial help me enormously.
chalugadp likes this.
post #25 of 34 Old 06-28-2014, 02:27 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackNC View Post
Attachment 139602

Attachment 139610

Here you go, I hope, having some trouble with attachments. Just remember, easy for you might not be easy for me....

Just a few words about the design itself. Its a SEOS-18 corner tower with a midhorn and a downfiring woofer. The midhorn has two offset mounted 8FE200 drivers and provides the same benefits as in a Synergy but married to a separate horn for the CD. Nevertheless it gives directional control down to 400 hz, horn again above, and acoustic filtering of distortion products. the AE TD12X woofer overlaps the midhorn between 150 and 300 Hz. With corner gain and some EQ it should be flat down to 20 hz. Its going to be all active/DSP crossover. Why not just do a Synergy? I probably will some day but I want to do this first. There is another order of difficulty in getting the Synergy right and this might be just as good for its intended use in the home with just a few seats.

Jack
Yeah that's not a beginner build. If you have built 4 to 5 cabinets then you could most likely do it. Would take a fair bit of time.
post #26 of 34 Old 06-28-2014, 02:28 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by datranz View Post
thank you, thank you, i cant thank you enough...i have been playing sketchup but its a slow learning curve, this tutorial help me enormously.
That's good to hear.

I plan on doing another video. Covering some advanced stuff. If anyone has an area they want me to cover then let me know here.
post #27 of 34 Old 06-28-2014, 05:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 260
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackNC View Post
Hi Gorilla and Chalugadp:

I know my questions below are difficult or impossible to answer without looking at my particular design. What I'd really like though is some general guidelines and advice for going down the path of having someone else cut my design. What would be really nice is if there were a standard output that could be created that anyone with a machine could cut but also a way to tell in advance if that output were correct.

I'm reasonably competent with Sketchup and started learning Aspire but I don't have a CNC machine. My hope is that I can prep files for Aspire then go hand off to a local CNC shop, assuming I can find one that is willing. I'd rather pay them (or you), including reasonable setup charges, than fill up my garage with tools I'll only use occasionally or a machine it will take me a year to learn how to use. But I would like to do as much of the software work myself as possible.

The design in question isn't a simple box. If it were, I would just use my table saw. Its a 3-way design with an integrated midhorn and beveled front baffle for fitting into a corner and will stand almost 4' tall. It would definitely challenge both my skill, patience, and tools.

Can I just naively drop components into Aspire and expect good results? That is about what I can do with the tool now and I can't really tell if that is sufficient. How much more to it is there than that? Do I have any hope of getting it right on the first try? Given these kind of considerations, what would you expect in terms of back and forth to the drawing board before its finally good enough?

Thanks for your help,
Jack
Jack,

Different machines will use different standards for run files, but luckily aspire supports dozens of different output types. Gcode is pretty much the standard out there for many machines, but not everyone uses it. If you are using aspire 4.5 or later you can directly import the sketchup files as components.
LTD02 likes this.
post #28 of 34 Old 06-28-2014, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chalugadp View Post
Yeah that's not a beginner build. If you have built 4 to 5 cabinets then you could most likely do it. Would take a fair bit of time.
This will be speaker project #3 for me but I give myself extra credit for having built one house and renovated a couple others. It definitely will take some time regardless of how I end up doing it. The sheer number of pieces is one reason for wanting to use CNC. The other is the precision and accuracy of CNC will make the horn sections so much easier.
post #29 of 34 Old 06-28-2014, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorilla83 View Post
Jack,

Different machines will use different standards for run files, but luckily aspire supports dozens of different output types. Gcode is pretty much the standard out there for many machines, but not everyone uses it. If you are using aspire 4.5 or later you can directly import the sketchup files as components.
Yes, I've already tried and succeeded in importing sketchup files into Aspire. I just followed up Google(Gcode) and found a you tube on sketchup to Gcode which turned out to use Aspire but showed me I could actually debug the Gcode in aspire .

I'll have to view it again tomorrow when I'm more awake...and then start doing the same process for all the components of my design.
post #30 of 34 Old 06-28-2014, 07:32 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Great initiative! I've worked quite a bit with Sketchup lately, looking at some tutorials on Youtube and mixed and matched the knowledge of how to do things, but some of your ways of doing things are SO much faster. I used to group and ungroup objects all the time to make edits, and holy pancake has that caused a lot of problems. Didn't even know what edit mode was until seeing this.

Wonderful stuff!

DAC/Preamp: miniDSP 4x10 HD and Mytek 192 Stereo DSD DAC
Speakers: JBL 4343B, JBL 4430 and JBL 120Ti
Amplifiers: Emotiva XPR-1, Denon POA 1500, QSC GX5 and Sanway's LabGruppen FP14000 clone
Sub: DIY LMS Ultra 5400
Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page