2 sealed 15's vs 1 ported 18 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By BrutalBodyShots
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 Old 07-03-2014, 11:06 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 39
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 4
2 sealed 15's vs 1 ported 18

Looking to add on to my existing set up. This is the forum where overkill is the norm right?
Currently using 2 um15's in sealed 4 cubic ft boxes.

Am thinking the next upgrade will be:

2 more um15's in sealed 4 cubic foot boxex. Cost about $700 total for both drivers and cabinets.
or
1 Dayton Audio RSS460HO-4 18" Reference HO in a diysoundgroup ported Stonehenge flat pack
- 5.4 cu ft ported to 20hz. Cost would be about $475 for the 1 driver and cabinet.
http://www.diysoundgroup.com/ported-...tonehenge.html

Would love to see how these 2 options graphed out for output and frequency response.
My gut says to go the first route as it will integrate the easiest but trying to keep the cost in check.
Looking for your 2 cents. Thanks guys.
jake515 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 13 Old 07-03-2014, 11:23 AM
Advanced Member
 
BrutalBodyShots's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 793
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by jake515 View Post
Looking to add on to my existing set up. This is the forum where overkill is the norm right?
Currently using 2 um15's in sealed 4 cubic ft boxes.

Am thinking the next upgrade will be:

2 more um15's in sealed 4 cubic foot boxex. Cost about $700 total for both drivers and cabinets.
or
1 Dayton Audio RSS460HO-4 18" Reference HO in a diysoundgroup ported Stonehenge flat pack
- 5.4 cu ft ported to 20hz. Cost would be about $475 for the 1 driver and cabinet.
http://www.diysoundgroup.com/ported-...tonehenge.html

Would love to see how these 2 options graphed out for output and frequency response.
My gut says to go the first route as it will integrate the easiest but trying to keep the cost in check.
Looking for your 2 cents. Thanks guys.
I would think adding a ported 18 to the two sealed 15's you have now much sound a bit off. I think SQ wise adding two more 15's would be your best bet, but you'd likely give up a bit of SPL. I'm sure one of the guys on here can post you a graph comparing the two options. Two 15's offer a little over 35% more cone are over a single 18 which might give you an extra db if the 18 were sealed, but since it's ported you'd gain quite a bit more in the >20hz content.
BrutalBodyShots is offline  
post #3 of 13 Old 07-03-2014, 11:37 AM
Advanced Member
 
Bassment's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 543
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 250 Post(s)
Liked: 94
Bassment is online now  
post #4 of 13 Old 07-03-2014, 01:56 PM
AVS Special Member
 
notnyt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 4,258
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 161 Post(s)
Liked: 375
The ported 18 will give you more output by far down low.

IMO, two ported 18s. UM18s release soon
notnyt is offline  
post #5 of 13 Old 07-03-2014, 02:01 PM
AVS Special Member
 
HopefulFred's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 2,755
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked: 193
What does the system fail to do? That is to say, what variety of overkill are you looking for?
HopefulFred is online now  
post #6 of 13 Old 07-03-2014, 06:20 PM
Advanced Member
 
BrutalBodyShots's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 793
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by notnyt View Post
The ported 18 will give you more output by far down low.

IMO, two ported 18s. UM18s release soon
UM-18's are 1/2-3/4 of a year behind, so saying they will be "released soon" is wishful thinking.

Also, for ported cabs they require much larger enclosures than the SI-18, Dayton HO, UXL-18, etc with about 50% more internal volume.
chalugadp likes this.
BrutalBodyShots is offline  
post #7 of 13 Old 07-03-2014, 06:50 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Mfusick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Western MA
Posts: 22,341
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked: 760
WHat is a UM18 ?

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
Mfusick is online now  
post #8 of 13 Old 07-03-2014, 08:18 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 39
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by HopefulFred View Post
What does the system fail to do? That is to say, what variety of overkill are you looking for?
The existing system is really quite good. Just wanting to take it up a notch. Always wanting to put together something special and unique from the listeners perspective.
jake515 is offline  
post #9 of 13 Old 07-03-2014, 09:06 PM
AVS Special Member
 
notnyt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 4,258
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 161 Post(s)
Liked: 375
notnyt is offline  
post #10 of 13 Old 07-04-2014, 08:05 AM
Advanced Member
 
BrutalBodyShots's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 793
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Well Jake, adding two more sealed 15's in addition to what you have now should give you 3db. It would also give you an even smoother response in your room by spreading out your sources of output even better than with just 2 enclosures. I guess the question is whether or not 3db is "good enough" for you or if you'd desire more down the line. Going with two 18's, still sealed, is only a marginal cost over two 15's generally speaking and would probably give you almost 5db over your current setup which is pretty nice. If you're looking for that 6-10db gain, you're going to have to go ported but again I'm not sure how that would blend with your sealed enclosures; I've never mixed them so you'd have to ask some of the more qualified/experienced guys on here their opinions on it.
BrutalBodyShots is offline  
post #11 of 13 Old 07-04-2014, 08:28 AM
Advanced Member
 
Bassment's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 543
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 250 Post(s)
Liked: 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrutalBodyShots View Post
Well Jake, adding two more sealed 15's in addition to what you have now should give you 3db. It would also give you an even smoother response in your room by spreading out your sources of output even better than with just 2 enclosures. I guess the question is whether or not 3db is "good enough" for you or if you'd desire more down the line. Going with two 18's, still sealed, is only a marginal cost over two 15's generally speaking and would probably give you almost 5db over your current setup which is pretty nice. If you're looking for that 6-10db gain, you're going to have to go ported but again I'm not sure how that would blend with your sealed enclosures; I've never mixed them so you'd have to ask some of the more qualified/experienced guys on here their opinions on it.
6 dB if he's increasing the amplification
Bassment is online now  
post #12 of 13 Old 07-04-2014, 06:28 PM
Senior Member
 
Smittyfit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 307
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 24
jake515 -> Hard situation.... How about.... Build a HUGE horn or ported subwoofer tuned LOW, send under 30hz to it.

Then use the 15" subwoofers as midbass modules. Place them near field listening position, and have the horn in corner for more bass reinforcement.

Best of both worlds?

Hahahaha, just a suggestion
Smittyfit is offline  
post #13 of 13 Old 07-04-2014, 06:55 PM
AVS Special Member
 
BassThatHz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: East side of NW Cascades
Posts: 2,732
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 155 Post(s)
Liked: 330
Quote:
Originally Posted by jake515 View Post
The existing system is really quite good. Just wanting to take it up a notch. Always wanting to put together something special and unique from the listeners perspective.
Keep saving up for dual UXL-18 then. If space is a concern 20x20x20 or so sealed, otherwise ported.
They can replace your UM-15's, or you can buy another amp and run all 4. Use them to smooth out the bass(?)
BassThatHz is offline  
Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

Tags
diysoundgroup , stonehenge , um15

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off