Bookshelf speakers - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By chalugadp
  • 1 Post By Audio Geek
 
Thread Tools
Old 07-03-2014, 09:03 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
lite2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 49
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Bookshelf speakers

Considering diy route for bookshelf speakers. Would need a center channel. Most of the retail speakers that I have listened to are around $1000 or more and center channel around $750. What type of diy budget does one need to surpass the retail speakers? Can one build the same or preferably better sound for how much less? Thanks.
lite2 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 07-03-2014, 09:04 PM
Member
 
niktak11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Salem, Oregon
Posts: 90
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by lite2 View Post
Considering diy route for bookshelf speakers. Would need a center channel. Most of the retail speakers that I have listened to are around $1000 or more and center channel around $750. What type of diy budget does one need to surpass the retail speakers? Can one build the same or preferably better sound for how much less? Thanks.
Check out the bookshelf sized speakers on diy sound group. I haven't heard any of them myself but I've heard great things

The statement monitors also seem like they would be very nice and they're pretty small
niktak11 is online now  
Old 07-03-2014, 09:14 PM
AVS Special Member
 
chalugadp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Vancouver, BC, Canada
Posts: 5,589
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1197 Post(s)
Liked: 1162
Need to know more info about what your using them for , movies or music, how loud SPL, what sub's do you have,size of room,etc.

These for movies are probably better then anything you have heard if you like it loud
http://www.diysoundgroup.com/wavegui...ion12-kit.html

Smaller version here
http://www.diysoundgroup.com/wavegui...sion8-kit.html

Center channel here
http://www.diysoundgroup.com/home-th...ecial-kit.html

If your strictly music then you would probably like these.
http://speakerdesignworks.com/Statements_Monitor.html

Or maybe these
http://meniscusaudio.com/er18mtm-rib...ir-p-1323.html
Mfusick likes this.
chalugadp is online now  
Old 07-03-2014, 09:55 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
lite2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 49
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by chalugadp View Post
Need to know more info about what your using them for , movies or music, how loud SPL, what sub's do you have,size of room,etc.

These for movies are probably better then anything you have heard if you like it loud
http://www.diysoundgroup.com/wavegui...ion12-kit.html

Smaller version here
http://www.diysoundgroup.com/wavegui...sion8-kit.html

Center channel here
http://www.diysoundgroup.com/home-th...ecial-kit.html

If your strictly music then you would probably like these.
http://speakerdesignworks.com/Statements_Monitor.html

Or maybe these
http://meniscusaudio.com/er18mtm-rib...ir-p-1323.html
Mainly for movies but music as well. SVS sub sb1000. Room size 20x18, Can only use bookshelf speakers and one of your suggestions was a little too high. Center channel around 8" high. With a budget of around $1000 what type of performance can be expected compared to retail $2-3000? Also, prefer slightly warmer sounding speakers. Do not like bright sounding speakers. Thanks.
lite2 is offline  
Old 07-03-2014, 10:09 PM
AVS Special Member
 
chalugadp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Vancouver, BC, Canada
Posts: 5,589
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1197 Post(s)
Liked: 1162
That size room and size constraints probably this speaker would be great
http://www.diysoundgroup.com/wavegui...-pure-kit.html
It digs deeper then the fusion 8 and more midbass. Your sub output for a room that size is small for these parts of diy.

The diysoundgroup speakers are very clean, dynamic, and are neutral. Not bright and fatiguing. Will play very loud which helps in your big room.

Just thought of another option for you. You can build the fusion 12 tempest sealed which is 21" high.

For center channel I have this and love it
http://www.diysoundgroup.com/home-th...8-mtm-kit.html
But its 10" high . at eight inches
http://www.diysoundgroup.com/home-th...6-mtm-kit.html

But if you use fusion 6 the timbre match will be a bit off.

I had a 800 dollar commercial center channel before my mtm and I like the 250$ diy better. Waveguide gives easier to hear dialogue.

The tempests speakers at 700 a pair would compare to 2k speakers commercial often.
chalugadp is online now  
Old 07-03-2014, 10:21 PM
Member
 
Audio Geek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: San Jose, CA
Posts: 179
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by niktak11 View Post
The statement monitors also seem like they would be very nice and they're pretty small
Quote:
Originally Posted by chalugadp View Post
If your strictly music then you would probably like these.
http://speakerdesignworks.com/Statements_Monitor.html
FYI...

http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...35#post1999535

Jim Holtz:
"The Finalists are the replacements for the Mini's and the Monitors. The Finalists give Statements level performance in a Monitor or floor standing TL design."
chalugadp likes this.
Audio Geek is online now  
Old 07-03-2014, 10:24 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 144
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by lite2 View Post
Mainly for movies but music as well. SVS sub sb1000. Room size 20x18, Can only use bookshelf speakers and one of your suggestions was a little too high. Center channel around 8" high. With a budget of around $1000 what type of performance can be expected compared to retail $2-3000? Also, prefer slightly warmer sounding speakers. Do not like bright sounding speakers. Thanks.
Keep in mind when you go the diy option you are buying the parts only for the price. When you buy retail the parts rarely add up to more than 25% of what you paid. Diy because you love audio and you want to say you made it yourself. My diy projects will outperform retail products costing many times what I have invested in parts. I diy because I love this stuff.
jake515 is online now  
Old 07-03-2014, 10:29 PM
AVS Special Member
 
chalugadp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Vancouver, BC, Canada
Posts: 5,589
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1197 Post(s)
Liked: 1162
Quote:
Originally Posted by Audio Geek View Post
FYI...

http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...35#post1999535

Jim Holtz:
"The Finalists are the replacements for the Mini's and the Monitors. The Finalists give Statements level performance in a Monitor or floor standing TL design."
The sensativity of those finalists are 84 dB's which would probably need an amp to run them. I am not sure if they would play clean at reference. If op listens to movies at -10 and lower he'd be fine.
chalugadp is online now  
Old 07-04-2014, 12:01 AM
Member
 
niktak11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Salem, Oregon
Posts: 90
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Audio Geek View Post
FYI...

http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...35#post1999535

Jim Holtz:
"The Finalists are the replacements for the Mini's and the Monitors. The Finalists give Statements level performance in a Monitor or floor standing TL design."
He made an updated statement II that should be up on that meniscus site any day now too. The only difference is the midrange which in supposedly a drop-in upgrade for the old one. I'm not positive that it's interchangeable for the smaller monitor version though
niktak11 is online now  
Old 07-20-2014, 09:29 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
lite2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 49
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 10
The pure 10 and fusion 8 that you recommended you considered to be a neutral non fatiguing or bright speaker. Trying to get a bookshelf speaker with a quality of sound equal to or better than a Paradigm studio 10 or PSB Imagine b bookshelf. Have you listened to either of these that could be compared to the 10 and 8? Prefer a smoother sound. The studio 10's were too bright and the PSB was not bright but maybe lacking some detail. The PSB would be my choice only because of the brightness of the Studio 10. What would the 10 and 8 diy speakers sound compared to the two above or other retail brand speakers? Sorry for the question, I know you said they are neutral but trying to compare them with something I already heard. Also, if a little more of a budget would help that would alright. Thanks again.
lite2 is offline  
Old 07-21-2014, 06:04 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Martycool007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 3,692
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 280 Post(s)
Liked: 172
Go with either the Statements, Mini-Statemebts, Statemebt Monitors, or the Finalist. They work great for both music and theater, as long as your room isn't too big and that you don't listen at reference levels. The Staremebts are a great theater speaker, and are amazing for music, but, if you want reference level SPL, you would likely need to add an amp, of which I would recommend the iNuke1000dsp.
Martycool007 is offline  
Old 07-21-2014, 06:32 PM
AVS Special Member
 
chalugadp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Vancouver, BC, Canada
Posts: 5,589
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1197 Post(s)
Liked: 1162
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martycool007 View Post
Go with either the Statements, Mini-Statemebts, Statemebt Monitors, or the Finalist. They work great for both music and theater, as long as your room isn't too big and that you don't listen at reference levels. The Staremebts are a great theater speaker, and are amazing for music, but, if you want reference level SPL, you would likely need to add an amp, of which I would recommend the iNuke1000dsp.
Marty you have to hear the 1099 for music. I think it has to be as good as statements for music and would crush it in movies.
chalugadp is online now  
Old 07-22-2014, 03:28 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Martycool007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 3,692
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 280 Post(s)
Liked: 172
Quote:
Originally Posted by chalugadp View Post
Marty you have to hear the 1099 for music. I think it has to be as good as statements for music and would crush it in movies.

Really? I would love to have the opportunity to hear Tuxs' 1099's, but, unfortunately, I doubt that anyone living in rural Arkansas would have a pair for me to listen to! Have you heard both the 1099 and the Statements? If so, would you mind elaborating on your subjective comparisons?
Martycool007 is offline  
Old 07-22-2014, 03:52 AM
AVS Special Member
 
chalugadp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Vancouver, BC, Canada
Posts: 5,589
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1197 Post(s)
Liked: 1162
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martycool007 View Post
Really? I would love to have the opportunity to hear Tuxs' 1099's, but, unfortunately, I doubt that anyone living in rural Arkansas would have a pair for me to listen to! Have you heard both the 1099 and the Statements? If so, would you mind elaborating on your subjective comparisons?
Haven't heard the statement but there is no way the statement is as good as the funk 6.1( just my gut tells me that plus funk has better drivers) The 1099 was hanging close to it. Not quite as clear but close.

Yes I'm smitten. No gtg in Arkansas
chalugadp is online now  
Old 07-22-2014, 04:36 AM
Member
 
Audio Geek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: San Jose, CA
Posts: 179
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by chalugadp View Post
Haven't heard the statement but there is no way the statement is as good as the funk 6.1( just my gut tells me that plus funk has better drivers) The 1099 was hanging close to it. Not quite as clear but close.

Yes I'm smitten. No gtg in Arkansas
I know you're really enthusiastic about the 1099 but you might want to reserve judgment about the Statements (which have been replaced by Statements II) since you haven't heard it. The Statements have tunnels bouncing the midrange off the back wall which should provide a greater sense of envelopment.

Anyhow, neither the 1099 nor the Statements are in contention for the OP since neither are bookshelves. 8)


Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk
Audio Geek is online now  
 
Thread Tools


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off