sub amp help - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 11 Old 07-03-2014, 08:49 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Unhappy sub amp help

I was running two subs which were great until I amped all 7 channels then the sub wast enough anymore. I bult a sub using a 15" square sub used for auto sounds up to now Ive been using a converter and a auto amp to power it, I have a pro amp now and looking to connect it up now. Here comes the issue I connected the RCA inputs and bridged the amp and used the terminals to connect the sub. The amp is 2000 watts bridged but Im not getting that out of it,is there somthing with the way it's connected? Need help thanks in advance guys

Mr.Zoom
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 07-03-2014, 09:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked: 413
What amp? What driver? How is it wired exactly? How high do you have the gain? Some pro amps require a signal booster from consumer gear.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 11 Old 07-03-2014, 09:39 PM - Thread Starter

The amp is a Behringer epq2000, the driver is a Solo Baric L7 15". Its wired RCA from sub output of the pioneer to the inputs of the amp then wired from the binding post to the terminal of the sub. I tried bridged and stereo and I get sound just not any better than the old setup, actually it isnt as much as the old setup.

Mr.Zoom
post #4 of 11 Old 07-03-2014, 10:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked: 413
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blazen244 View Post
The amp is a Behringer epq2000, the driver is a Solo Baric L7 15". Its wired RCA from sub output of the pioneer to the inputs of the amp then wired from the binding post to the terminal of the sub. I tried bridged and stereo and I get sound just not any better than the old setup, actually it isnt as much as the old setup.
limiter off, switch on bridge, wired in bridge mode? If gain is all the way up, you might need a signal booster from your receiver, or turn the sub gain on the receiver up.

post #5 of 11 Old 07-03-2014, 10:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 269 Post(s)
Liked: 375
The amp has 4 LEDs on the front.

-20db means 20watts.
-10db means it is outputting 200watts.
0db means the full 2000watts
Limiter means it has now exploded (LMAO )

So if you can't get to at least -10db then you don't have enough gain, as per NotNyt. You might need to buy a CleanBoxPro if his recommendations don't solve it.

I would expect that you will pop a 15amp breaker if you attempt 2000watts, 15amp wallsocket/breaker only supports 900-1700watts (depending on efficiency of the amp).
and I would hope the amp itself is beefy enough to not blow an internal fuse or something stupid.

"If Bad Sound Were Fatal, Audio Would Be the Leading Cause of Death."

post #6 of 11 Old 07-04-2014, 05:45 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks guys, the sub gain is all the way up and with the main volume cranked its just tickling the -10db light(200watts). This isnt enough so going go for the booster and from what I read the Clean Box pro will take care of this. The old setup is 600 watts.

Mr.Zoom
post #7 of 11 Old 07-04-2014, 06:54 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Liked: 149
what's your LFE output set to on the receiver? It probably needs to be +10 dB from where you had it on you old amp, and gain on new amp maxed. Make sure there isn't a crossover set on the amplifier.

post #8 of 11 Old 07-04-2014, 10:19 AM - Thread Starter

Yup turned the x over off, I will check the LFE setting. Great info thanks guys

Mr.Zoom
post #9 of 11 Old 07-04-2014, 10:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 269 Post(s)
Liked: 375
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blazen244 View Post
just tickling the -10db light(200watts)
I'm guessing a solid -10 will be 200 to 1000watts and tickling the 0db means about 1000 to 2000watts.

You don't want a SOLID 0db, as that means it is clipping. It will smoke your subwoofer from too many watts or too much direct current. You will need a bigger amp if so.

"If Bad Sound Were Fatal, Audio Would Be the Leading Cause of Death."

Last edited by BassThatHz; 07-04-2014 at 10:32 PM.
post #10 of 11 Old 07-05-2014, 06:35 AM - Thread Starter

Going to reconnect it and try it again but thats with having everything turned up and I was wrong it was tickling the -20db. At this volume everything else is really rocking but not much sound from the sub. I know the sub is good, I connected the old amp and it shakes the house again.

Mr.Zoom
post #11 of 11 Old 07-05-2014, 06:38 AM - Thread Starter

I have an old der poineer avr and a sub I just removed from my car Im going to connect that one in the same way and see what I get thay way. RCA from the avr to the amp binding post to sub terminal.

Same issue with the older amp so getting a line booster now.

Mr.Zoom

Last edited by Blazen244; 07-05-2014 at 11:06 AM.
Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page