Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 07-03-2014, 10:52 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Uneven Front Baffle

I'm just finishing up my subwoofer and no matter how I put the Front Baffle on it comes with some side overhanging a little. Doesn't matter what I do, it won't sit perfect on the front without a little bit overhanging it's like the front baffle is slightly bigger than my box.

I got it from parts express, should I just not be too worried, glue it on then sand it so that all sides are flush?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 07-03-2014, 10:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 424 Post(s)
Liked: 752
Pics...
post #3 of 8 Old 07-04-2014, 04:50 AM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked: 534
too big is much better than too small. You either sand or use a flush cut trimmer bit in your router then sand. A little wood patch or bondo filling the seam is also typical so it doesn't show through the paint.
post #4 of 8 Old 07-04-2014, 11:00 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGmouthinDC View Post
too big is much better than too small. You either sand or use a flush cut trimmer bit in your router then sand. A little wood patch or bondo filling the seam is also typical so it doesn't show through the paint.
Tried to get some pics of it but it's quite a small difference and it's hard to actually see in a camera pic.
It does seem just a little too big. No matter how I put it on, there is just a tiny "lip" hanging over. It's more of something I can feel with my fingers that it's not completely even than see with a camera.

I was more curious as to if it was normal to have to sand it down until it was even when it was CNC cut but just looking at the difference and not using feel I'm guessing it won't be noticeable. It's my first attempt so just going to let it go and not stress about perfection lol.

It was only going over just a hair. Might take a little to sand down since I only have my hands but whatever.

I put it on and to make matters even worse, it started to shift after I had weights on it. I came back to check a couple times and it was slowly shifting which didn't help but I think it's on straight and I'll just do as you said and sand it down and fill the seams in.

I've never done any of this before so "just fixing it later" is something I don't understand lol. Going to wait for the glue to dry, then do the woofer mounting. Now that I finally have all of the tools to finish this, hoping to be done before dinner time.

While I'm waiting for the glue to dry though I'm curious about the Ultimax Terminals. I just push them down til the hole is showing then feed speaker wire through that correct? I tried to twist them at first to no avail before I tried pushing on them. Don't wanna break it at this point when I only have 13 hours to drill at this point (and a lot of painting I guess if I ever get around to that).
post #5 of 8 Old 07-04-2014, 11:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 424 Post(s)
Liked: 752
Go get a cheap orbital sander and some 120 grit. You will fix it in 30 seconds. You will use the sander again if you keep diy.
post #6 of 8 Old 07-04-2014, 11:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked: 447
They were designed that way. If the end user didn't clamp things as hard as the next person, the box might not be as 'tight' and the baffle could be a little small. If the baffle wasn't made a bit bigger and you glued the box up just a little out of square, the baffle would not fit perfectly. Even if you were able to get the box glued up 100% dead on, lining up a baffle perfectly all around isn't very easy.

So the easy fix is to make the baffle just a little bigger all around so you can lightly sand things down to match everything up.

CNC machines are near perfect, humans gluing up those panels aren't. Some 'slop' has to be calculated in to account for humans messing with wood glue and clamps.
post #7 of 8 Old 07-04-2014, 01:26 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Thanks for that. I just kept looking at it and thinking "I know I glued it together right why doesn't it fit?" It was just a LITTLE too big so that I was almost just questioning whether I was just incapable of lining the two up correctly.

Now to figure out what to do with this rubber around the mounting holes of the subwoofer? It's partially blocking every mounting hole location. There isn't a way I could put screws into some holes of it without getting quite a bit of rubber behind the screw at a couple of the holes.

Is that something I should worry about? Do I need to start figuring out a way to clear that rubber around the holes?
post #8 of 8 Old 07-04-2014, 05:59 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

First listening impression:
"Wow this thing gets deep man. But it's kind of quiet and unimpressive. I have to turn up the subwoofer to get as much maximum output as my klipsch."

Oh, I have my main master volume at 60%......
Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page