Small sub design - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 07-05-2014, 09:45 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Small sub design

Hi! I'm new to this forum, and I don't have a lot of experience designing cabinets for speakers. My challenge actually is to create a sub that would be very small, portable (so the driver must be inside the cabinet to make it more tough) but that could go under 30Hz frequencies. Volume is far to be a priority, unlike portability and sound quality. So I chose the 4th order bandpass design for this one. The only problem is that my vent would need to be very long to go as low as I wish. So I thought making it turn inside with 45 degree corners. Would there be nasty resonance? A phasing problem? Otherwise, any suggestions?

Thank you very much!!!

Maxime

Side note: The size would be 15"x7"x10" outside. The wood would be ¾" thick, and the driver would be an 8" Dayton Audio SD215A :
http://www.daytonaudio.com/index.php...subwoofer.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 07-06-2014, 01:03 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by mxmcossette View Post
Hi! I'm new to this forum, and I don't have a lot of experience designing cabinets for speakers. My challenge actually is to create a sub that would be very small, portable (so the driver must be inside the cabinet to make it more tough) but that could go under 30Hz frequencies. Volume is far to be a priority, unlike portability and sound quality. So I chose the 4th order bandpass design for this one. The only problem is that my vent would need to be very long to go as low as I wish. So I thought making it turn inside with 45 degree corners. Would there be nasty resonance? A phasing problem? Otherwise, any suggestions?

Thank you very much!!!

Maxime

Side note: The size would be 15"x7"x10" outside. The wood would be ¾" thick, and the driver would be an 8" Dayton Audio SD215A :
http://www.daytonaudio.com/index.php...subwoofer.html
Anyone can help me with this please?

Thank you very much!
post #3 of 4 Old 07-06-2014, 02:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 177 Post(s)
Liked: 363
4th order BP subs are not ideal for something able to play deep while still being small, primarily because the port length will greatly influence how low they can go. Also, that alignment is good for about 2 octaves max. I was actually exploring one myself, because done properly a BP sub sounds great, but the narrow passband kinda killed it for me.

I was actually looking to try the SI BM mkIV because the sealed chamber portion could be made very small, meaning more of the cabinet volume could be use for the ported chamber.

If you take yourself too seriously expect me to do the exact opposite
post #4 of 4 Old 07-06-2014, 04:44 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 27
This driver is not really suited to sub-30Hz frequency reproduction with much volume. Dayton recommends an f3 of 38Hz with a 0.95 cu ft ported enclosure. I would also suggest definitely using a high pass filter with the ported enclosure if you plan on watching movies with it at any decent volume.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by AudyoVidyo; 07-06-2014 at 05:01 PM.
Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

Tags
angle , cabinet , curved , small , vent

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page