1Likes
  • 1 Post By stormwind13

post #1 of 16 Old 07-07-2014, 07:58 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Anyone using powered pro-type speakers?

I know this subject comes up once in a while....and I continue to be very curious about it and updated views. I mean a pair of QSC K12s or KW153s would be pretty awesome, right?? OR, a pair of Yamaha DSRs:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Yamaha-DSR11...item27e70d3258

Need sub(s)...but talk about crazy output for the price. I don't love the fact that they do A>D conversion but I guess its needed if you want the advantages of onboard dsp.

-Jim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 07-07-2014, 09:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 30
I have had the QSC HPR153 and 152's and there great sounding speakers especially for home theater. I wound up selling them because I didn't like keeping them on all the time behind my AT screen. I am going to start building the DIYsoundgroup.com Tempest this week which for me will work out better and sound just as good for my set-up.

A friend of mine has the Yamaha DSR single 15" model but he uses them in his DJ set-up. I want to get him to use them in his theater room but still a no go. I have heard them in his DJ system and there really good but it is hard to compare in different systems.

The K series from QSC has a different dispersion pattern in the horn than the older HPR series. I specifically got the HPR 153 because it uses the same mid and high horn as there pro cinema series so felt it would be better in a home application.

I hope I helped.

"Half the world is looking for Jesus, and the other half is looking for more bass..."
post #3 of 16 Old 07-11-2014, 01:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 38
I have a customer who i think would benefit from some nice 15" twoways, he listens loud.......
post #4 of 16 Old 07-11-2014, 02:16 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 21
1.Almost all P.A guys will tell you if you are using subs no point using a 2 way 15 better off with a 2 way 12 or 10. The 15 will play lower but whats the point when using subs.

2. P.A. speakers are designed for out put first with sound quality lower down the list.

3. That speaker is way over kill will be lucky to use 1/6 of that power in a HT environment.
post #5 of 16 Old 07-11-2014, 04:57 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 36
What's the point of a 15" two-way when subs are present? Less IMD from reduced Doppler Effect and better polar matching to the HF unit. The tradeoff is you end up running closer to the cone breakup region of the 15" driver - so pick your poison. I tend to go the 15" driver route because the cone breakup can be dealt with in other ways.

The problems happen when the naive PA guys try to run the 15" full-range instead of crossing over to the subs. More surface area is better, right? They end up with less bass and modulated mids - nobody ever tries running a 12" driver full range and I think that has a lot to do with the general impressions on this issue.

I think the future of the home audio industry will eventually be powered main speakers, but that's not gonna happen until the AVB spec settles down and streamed content becomes the norm. DANTE may find a fit in the home too, which is an amazing alternative to AVB that Shure and Yamaha have adopted pretty heavily...

-Mike Bentz
~It's all about compromise~
post #6 of 16 Old 07-12-2014, 06:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 38
That speaker would be a riot Lol, the Yamaha OP. you make a good point, XO to subs and get a main channel that only uses 1/6th of its actual ability, nothing sounds better than a speaker that can output all day and nite without strain.
post #7 of 16 Old 07-12-2014, 07:45 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 54
superedge88 has a QSC kw10 theater
niktak11 likes this.
post #8 of 16 Old 07-12-2014, 08:22 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by stormwind13 View Post
superedge88 has a QSC kw10 theater
I have QSC kw122's, and I absolutely love them. For the size and headroom, I don't know what else I would ever upgrade to.
post #9 of 16 Old 07-12-2014, 08:27 PM

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 20
I have 5 QSC SC-2150's and I built the Seos Tempest. The QSC easily out power the Tempest. The QSC were built for theater however the box size is a bit larger. Depth wise they are about the same but height and width go the QSC. I am actually getting ready to build some array speakers, im selling my QSC parts if your interested in building your own. You only need to build a box for the dual 15" woofers. Either speaker would be great for home theater.

Last edited by rlhaudio; 07-12-2014 at 08:34 PM.
post #10 of 16 Old 07-13-2014, 04:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked: 142
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlhaudio View Post
I have 5 QSC SC-2150's and I built the Seos Tempest. The QSC easily out power the Tempest. The QSC were built for theater however the box size is a bit larger. Depth wise they are about the same but height and width go the QSC. I am actually getting ready to build some array speakers, im selling my QSC parts if your interested in building your own. You only need to build a box for the dual 15" woofers. Either speaker would be great for home theater.

How do the mid & high frequencies sound on the Tempest compared to the QSC's? I know that you said the QSC's will have an output advantage, but, i am curious about the differences in sound quality between the two?
post #11 of 16 Old 07-13-2014, 10:17 AM
AVS Special Member

QSC SC-2150 is the reason why I went with the HPR153, same horns for the highs and mids and a single 15 instead of duals, basically a smaller version of the SC-2150.

"Half the world is looking for Jesus, and the other half is looking for more bass..."
post #12 of 16 Old 07-13-2014, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martycool007 View Post
How do the mid & high frequencies sound on the Tempest compared to the QSC's? I know that you said the QSC's will have an output advantage, but, i am curious about the differences in sound quality between the two?

I havn't finished my completed head to head comparison. The most noticeable difference, the Tempest are more "laid back" sounding and offer less fill (width dispersion) meaning placement is more crucial. The midrange is a huge advantage with the QSC over the Tempest. It's a 3 way vs. a 2 way design. Obviously the Tempest CD has to make up for a missing midrange. Since I have only done a short comparison test, I would lean toward the Tempest for music, due to them being laid back and the QSC for movies. The QSC's lack some warmth ie. Tori Amos, Evanescence, etc. The female vocals are not quite as good as the Tempest. It's NOT a huge difference, just slight. However for movies, the QSC fill my entire space with NO problems. 22ft x 18ft. The Tempest are not quite able too.
I'll do a complete write up between music and HT. But I can assure you, the larger HT will benefit from the QSC.
post #13 of 16 Old 07-13-2014, 10:54 AM

2 15's are always better than 1 LOL. Of course you also need a place to hide these monsters. I don't worry about mine since I have an AT screen. For the cost of the HPR you could have easily built 3 QSC SC-2150's. Ouch!
I'm selling the parts to build your own for $360.00 each. you just need to build a square box for the 15's.

Last edited by rlhaudio; 07-13-2014 at 11:01 AM.
post #14 of 16 Old 07-13-2014, 12:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
2 15's are always better than 1 LOL. Of course you also need a place to hide these monsters. I don't worry about mine since I have an AT screen. For the cost of the HPR you could have easily built 3 QSC SC-2150's. Ouch!
I'm selling the parts to build your own for $360.00 each. you just need to build a square box for the 15's.
The HPR153's were a closeout so I bought 3 and later when I sold them I got my money back. The HPR's have built in amps too so it is probably a wash cost wise since you can pick up used HPR153's in the $600 range, I got mine brand new for $700 each shipped, could not pass that up.

I love DIY but for resale it is tough. If we are not too far from each other I might be interested in your 2150 parts, if not then shipping would make it too expensive. I am just 45 minutes away from QSC so anything from them I can pick up and save on shipping costs.

post #15 of 16 Old 07-13-2014, 12:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I havn't finished my completed head to head comparison. The most noticeable difference, the Tempest are more "laid back" sounding and offer less fill (width dispersion) meaning placement is more crucial. The midrange is a huge advantage with the QSC over the Tempest. It's a 3 way vs. a 2 way design. Obviously the Tempest CD has to make up for a missing midrange. Since I have only done a short comparison test, I would lean toward the Tempest for music, due to them being laid back and the QSC for movies. The QSC's lack some warmth ie. Tori Amos, Evanescence, etc. The female vocals are not quite as good as the Tempest. It's NOT a huge difference, just slight. However for movies, the QSC fill my entire space with NO problems. 22ft x 18ft. The Tempest are not quite able too.
I'll do a complete write up between music and HT. But I can assure you, the larger HT will benefit from the QSC.
I am currently building 3 Tempest and it is designed in the crossover to be more laid back, there is a resistor you can remove that will raise the high end about 3db. I don't know which resistor it is but you can ask Erich and he should be able to tell you.

post #16 of 16 Old 07-13-2014, 01:10 PM

I'll have to talk to Erich about that. But I wonder what else it will change about the speaker. Seems like there is always give and take. I'm currently doing a comparison between the Tempest and QSC. So far they both work great, im starting to locate the positive and negative to each design.
I live in Michigan, not sure which QSC dealer your close too, there are not very many. Shipping the Xover and waveguides wouldn't be very expensive, the 15" woofer however would be. Let me know what you think about the Tempest vs. the HPR, I wish I could have gotten the part numbers from you. I have been wanting to experiment with active designs. If all the parts are the same, guess I would just need the active amp.

I'm not too worried about the SC-2150 parts selling, I am only selling to fund another project, the tempest's are for a friend. If they don't sell, I'll use the deck paint (restore) and use them with my outdoor theater build. I wont have to worry about the wood, I have used it on a subwoofer and it actually works very well.

Last edited by rlhaudio; 07-13-2014 at 01:15 PM.
Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page