AVS Forum banner

Marty cutsheet options, charts, and SI driver

3K views 60 replies 7 participants last post by  Mfusick 
#1 ·
First off I would like to say LTD02 -> your a boss! On behalf of us ALL, thanks for sharing your amazing builds!! We ALL appreciate it! Also thanks to everyone else who has been helping me so much!! Amazing!

Ok here is where I am at so far.

I will be building fusion10s as mains and quad4 as a center. I just bought an inuke3000 DSP, and am going to be building 2 matching subwoofers.

I was going to go with the 2x2x2 BUT, my wife says build whatever you want.... So I'm leaning more towards the 2x2x4(high). I wanted to use my subs as speaker stands but do not think it will fit my listening area. Reason: my listening wall is short, like 5 or 6 feet, and a hallway door opens up, then wall for 3 feet, then another door, then wall for another few feet. Not ideal no. So by the time I put my 2 subwoofers and TV stand, I do not think it will fit....

What I was thinking.... As of now my TV is small, and so my TV stand is pushed forward 2 feet. This is where my current single SVS sits. I was thinking just standing the 2 beast up in place of the svs facing the back of my TV. I just hope these don't blow my TV over lol.. Also I was thinking worse case, turn the subwoofers outwards together. (subwoofers back to back facing oppositely.... One shoots to the left, one to the right, let me know if you understand) That way the drivers are not punishing my TV and TV stand.

A bit more info: I listen to ALL kinds of music, but love the kick in the chest feeling and FEELING the bass. Also I listen to reference levels sometimes, but not much at all, I rather a HIGH sound quality, and extended frequency range. I usually max the LFE out at around 100-110 dB but would like around 120 dB just incase, and if possible more. (we can all get a bit crazy on these forums... Remember I went from just getting the over night sensations to this... :) My room is large with openings, and some openings are permanent to the outdoors (I live in the Caribbean) also important as it is VERY hot here.

If other information is required please ask. If anyone could help chart out the designs and post the cutsheets that would be AMAZING!!

Also if you could tell me what SI driver would work best (I think there is a D2 and D4 or something like that) also if I should pre-order it.

THANK YOU ALL SO MUCH! Looking forward to building!! I will post and update ALL progress, and provide review at the end.

Cheers!!

See less See more
#36 ·
SI is SUPER conservative with their recommendations / ratings. They rate their 24" for 1500 watts, at the gtg they were putting 8000 watts in.

Get the 18" SI D4.

You can't listen to what manufacturers say about their products, they try to protect themselves too much.

All the 18" subs are going to be super similar, just get the SI it's the best deal. The 15" dayton is worse.

SO many people do the 2x2x4 box with an SI 18" at 17 hz tune. It works perfectly and is a perfect match with the inuke 3000. Don't worry it will work great and safe.

#38 ·
Bassment -> And running 2 subwoofers in different cabs both 2x2x4 tuned to 17hz both SI D4 will be perfect for the inuke3000 DSP? Sorry I just want to make suuure.

If so I am going to order them right now.

For the cabs, I think I will use the vertical marty that was posted previously. Will it sound different since it will be tall rather than deep?

Sorry for the dumb questions just making 100% sure, because to me this is a huge investment.

Thanks a lot guys!!

#40 ·
Bassment -> Ok I am trying to get a hold of my friend who is going to help me order (help me bring into the country) and require the shipping address to get a shipping quote. SI says the shipping can vary a lot depending where. If the shipping is really high, I may need to go with the Dayton 18" HO, how much of a difference should I expect between the 2 drivers? I mean the price difference is $90 between the 2... So that is $180 total... I don't think the shipping would cost that much...

Also is the Dayton ultimax 18 worth waiting for, or will the SI sound and output pretty much on par?

Thanks a lot!! Really appreciate it!

I will be doing 2x2x4 boxes, tuned to 17hz.

#41 ·
The only thing that changes sound is the volume and the port tune. The orientation doesn't matter or change sound much. Bigger enclosures give more boost at tune; the lower you tune the more a big cab makes sense IMO. 17hz and 12 cubes is good. If it ends up being 10 cubes or 14 it's still good. If it ends up bring 16.5hz tune or 18hz tune it's still good. It's all good! Close enough is close enough, you'll never know anyways.

#42 ·
No the Dayton UM-18 has never even been for sale before and no one knows when it will be ready or if it will be good. Shipping won't be that much. You can't get the dayton's in a dual 4 ohm or a single 2 ohm coil, so don't even look at those, they aren't a good fit for your amp, they'd only get half the power available. The SI has a dual 4 ohm coil which you need.

#44 ·
Guys AMAZING advice.

100% ordering 2 SI D4 woofers to go with the inuke3000 DSP.

100% going to make it 10 cubes or 14 -> tuned to around 17hz. I will follow the vertical marty as I have some room behind my TV. I am half way wanting to do a narrow, low but deep marty, but later I may have space constraints and want it future proof.

So I am getting the shipping address very soon, and I am going to place the order ASAP. Once the SI woofers are in stock ready to ship out, I will then order the 2 fusion10 speakers and 1 quad4, MAAAAYBE really push it for some surrounds, but probably not as my funds are tight.

If someone could kindly post the link to the vertical marty, so we all have a fast reference, that would be very helpful to end the post with all the direct information as I will sum up 1 more time for those following.

I then will make post regarding the construction, with pictures, and my personal experiences.

I will buy all the wood this week, and start (if possible) constructing it NOW, then when the woofer arrives it will be faster.

The final finishes may have to wait till the next year when more funds are available.

If by chance I'm missing anything please let me know. I need to know ALL the material needed to make the subwoofers and speakers.

Again, MUCH thanks, especially to Mfusick, Bassment, erich, and ALL other people who input ANYTHING. This really makes it enjoyable, exciting, cost effective and most of all POSSIBLE!!

I apologize for not mentioning many other names that really went above and beyond the normal call of duty to help me out.

God bless us ALL! Let's sum up ALL material, vertical marty cut-sheet, anything else we may have missed.

Cheers! -> Smittyfit!

#48 ·
Ok guys I have order two SI D4 18" subwoofers, they came out to just over $1,100 my money, so not to bad and a 90% chance I will not need to pay for duty. If so they will cost around $2200 and shipping, freight, and VAT tax, so about $3000.

I will keep you all posted! Again thanks for everything.

I'm checking out the 1099, and damn... They look remarkable!! I will post tomorrow, time with wife now -> Cheers

#50 ·
Mfusick -> Bro no worries.

Bassment -> Thanks for summing that up for us!

What I have decided, is to just stick with the 2 fusion10 and the 1 quad4.

Maybe in a few years ill upgrade the fusion10 and put them in the back, with the 1099 or whatever is best at that time up front. But realistically speaking I was going to stick with my 10" subwoofer and use the overnight sensations.... Look where I am at today.... Hahahaha, I need to say enough is enough, and I know I will be satisfied. Specially since I will be cutting the speakers off at around 80hz, I should have more than enough SPL, Range, clarity, soundstage... etc the list goes on.

If I was rich, hahahaha there would be no compromises. But I think for the money, and what I want/require I do not think I can get better. If I'm wrong please let me know.

Where we stand today:
Subwoofers
1 Inuke3000DSP
2 SI 18" D4
Boxes will be 2x2x4 tuned to around 17hz.

Speakers
2 fusion10 pure
1 quad4
2 surrounds probably Dayton $35 pair (I know it is not good... But again compromise... MAAAAYBE I'll make a pair of over night sensations for the extra bit...)

Bass transducers
2 LFE buttkickers with buttkicker amp (the 1100 watt RMS one/biggest amp)

AVR
Harmon Kardon 65 watt a channel (nothing special but for the price I think the best = $200 u.s. regular was $550)

Cables
All monster performance series (got all for 75% off)

SUM UP: When the SI is in stock, I will order all the other gear missing. BUT, please let me know if I need some wires, or binding post or connection something for the gear I'm making that are not in the kit. (specially the subwoofer, what else do I need?)

I was thinking of getting all the wood this week, and making the cabs NOW so when everything arrives things are jump started. If I can do this, we need the perfect cutout dimensions for each piece of wood.

Thank you ALL for the support. I'm very excited, and cant wait to get things poppin!! Please help out with where you can on the next movements. Sorry for those account names I forgot to mention in the thanks! No disrespect!

Smittyfit

#53 ·
That's tricky question. Erich H advised me to wait to get the baffles so knew the size to build and I did not, and he ended up cutting me a custom baffle on one of my sets that was .5" wider to fix my box I already built.

I'd say buy the wood and do it! But before you cut confirm the size of the box and baffle so you make the box the right size so the baffle front glues right on. Assuming you get this right you should be fine. I did both my FUSION 8 and NEXUS boxes before the kit arrived and it worked great.

#55 ·
fusion8 are better because they are way louder, more controlled directivity, and better dynamic range and peaks. They are also much more efficient and play significantly louder from the same AVR ( like a modest HK I used)

Nexus is still a nice speaker, perhaps better for modest music listening and outside the sweet spot.

But inside the sweet spot and for movies it's no contest.

They really are different speakers, and I knew that buying them, and use them each for a purpose they are good at.

#57 ·
basically the direction the sound is emitted, where the sound goes and where it does not. In the case of a waveguide the sound is directed and does not spray out in all directions like a soft dome tweeter does (like NEXUS uses) so this is probably the biggest difference.

Soft dome tweets sound good, and they are smooth and spread sound everywhere. Good for filling a room with music, and if you are not in the sweet spot.

Waveguides have a sweet spot where sound is best, then outside of it less. The idea is to keep the sound where you want it, and not where you don't. The benefit can be significant in a bad room, where you help to minimize reflections from the room by not bouncing your treble midrange off glass, tile, hardwood, etc...

CD also play louder than soft dome tweets. So output is increased.

Also the higher efficiency makes the Fusion 8 a lot louder even at the same amp volume, and the dynamics are better (less compression). Just different speakers.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.