Which amplifier for 18sound 18lw2400 ? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 Old 07-10-2014, 06:16 AM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Slovenia, Europe
Posts: 6
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Question Which amplifier for 18sound 18lw2400 ?

Hello everyone!

I would like to build my own 18" subwoofer and I have chosen to use the 18sound's 18lw2400 18lw2400 speaker.

I have chosen this one because the specs look good for the money, because it is easy to source in Europe and because they provide instructions for building a box that was tested to work well. So overall, I think this is a good choice for my first build.

My question is, what amplifier would you suggest for driving this? I am on a limited budget so I am looking for the least expensive amp that will work well with the 18lw2400 and is available for purchase in Europe?

I've been looking at Behringer's amps but there are many contradicting opinions on the internet and I don't know which model would be powerful enough, please advise?

Thanks in advance.
pingec is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 12 Old 07-10-2014, 06:51 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Bassment's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Ancaster, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 1,847
Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 944 Post(s)
Liked: 376
It says 2400 watts, so an inuke 3000 would be good, as long as you buy the 4 ohm version. If you get the 8 ohm version you would need an inuke 6000 for full power.

This is not a "subwoofer" though. This is a woofer, intended for the bottom end of a speaker. It plays over 2000 hz. You can't really use this as a subwoofer. It rolls off hard at 100 hz. A subwoofer should be 0 to 80 hz. I'm pretty sure a 100 W 10" subwoofer would beat this.

I'm sure another european can chime in, but there are definitely way better (like 20 times better) subwoofers available in europe, and designing a box is easy, don't worry about that. If you find a good subwoofer available to you I can help design a box.
Bassment is offline  
post #3 of 12 Old 07-10-2014, 09:23 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
chrapladm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Adelaide, South Australia
Posts: 4,339
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 876 Post(s)
Liked: 315
Really depends on what your using this for. If you are using it for music than a TH would be best. TH18 design would be the best I can think of for it also. 3000watts peak would be a good start.

Also do you own the 2400 yet? The 2500 is roughly the same price and offers much more Xmax for the same money. I will be buying a pair of these in September when available.

If using this for HT not such a good idea. It can play low but not as good as a HT subwoofer.
chrapladm is online now  
 
post #4 of 12 Old 07-11-2014, 12:26 AM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Slovenia, Europe
Posts: 6
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Thank you very much to both for replying! I have some more questions, hopefully you won't mind answering

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassment View Post
It says 2400 watts, so an inuke 3000 would be good, as long as you buy the 4 ohm version. If you get the 8 ohm version you would need an inuke 6000 for full power.

This is not a "subwoofer" though. This is a woofer, intended for the bottom end of a speaker. It plays over 2000 hz. You can't really use this as a subwoofer. It rolls off hard at 100 hz. A subwoofer should be 0 to 80 hz. I'm pretty sure a 100 W 10" subwoofer would beat this.

I'm sure another european can chime in, but there are definitely way better (like 20 times better) subwoofers available in europe, and designing a box is easy, don't worry about that. If you find a good subwoofer available to you I can help design a box.

1. Thanks for the suggestions for the amplifiers. I checked the NU3000DSP and NU6000DSP manual and it appears that NU6000DSP does not support "bridged mono" mode so they can both provide 3000W max output, first amp over one channel and second over two. Since I am planning to use only one speaker I guess it would make no sense to buy the NU6000DSP ?

2. I don't understand why it is not good for a subwoofer though. Why does the manufacturer call it a subwoofer then?

3. Also it does say it plays over 2000hz but then it also states "Max Recomm. Frequency 500 Hz". Here is the frequency response from the datasheet. Is this not so good for a subwoofer?




Quote:
Originally Posted by chrapladm
Really depends on what your using this for. If you are using it for music than a TH would be best. TH18 design would be the best I can think of for it also. 3000watts peak would be a good start.

Also do you own the 2400 yet? The 2500 is roughly the same price and offers much more Xmax for the same money. I will be buying a pair of these in September when available.

If using this for HT not such a good idea. It can play low but not as good as a HT subwoofer.

4. It would be used mostly for music, yes. Is there a better 18" one for similar price I can get? Thanks for pointing me to the TH18 design, I have found some sketches and cut lists for TH18 for 18lw2400 but it looks very challenging to build as a first DIY project. Maybe I could build a simple cabinet first and then attempt the TH18 as the next step, I need to give some more thought to this idea .

5. I do not own the 2400 yet, but I only have time during the summer vacations so I cannot wait until September if that is when the 2500 will be available? So I am looking for something that I can buy now...

6. Out of curiosity, what would be a good HT speaker for similar money?


Thanks in advance.
pingec is online now  
post #5 of 12 Old 07-11-2014, 02:32 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
chrapladm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Adelaide, South Australia
Posts: 4,339
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 876 Post(s)
Liked: 315
The 18" is good for pro audio. 18 Sound is a pro audio manufacturer. So they are interested in 30hz and higher. A 18" Ultimax from Dayton or SI 18" would be better for below 35hz and possibly 40hz.

So the LW2400 is a subwoofer its just not intended to be used below its Fs much. BUT for an 18" the LW2400 is one of the best values. Although Dayton now has a pro audio 18" also. BUT I cant comment on those woofers.
chrapladm is online now  
post #6 of 12 Old 07-11-2014, 05:48 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Martycool007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 3,697
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 280 Post(s)
Liked: 178
Don't use that 18Soubds driver as it would not give you any where near the performance of a Dayton RSS460HO-18 or a Stereo Integrity 18HT. I have zero clue if either of these are available in Europe, though. You could send Nick over at Stereo Integrity an email and see if he could ship you one. I have shipped similar items to both the UK and Germany in the past, and I would guesstimate shipping to be between $85.00 and $175.00 depending on the shipping company. Maybe less. You could get an SI 18HT for $160 + let's say $100 shipping and that is still an incredible deal!
Martycool007 is offline  
post #7 of 12 Old 07-11-2014, 06:08 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Bassment's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Ancaster, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 1,847
Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 944 Post(s)
Liked: 376
You're right the inuke 6000 is literally just two inuke 3000's in permanent bridge mode. So with one sub inuke 6000 is pointless. By definition it is a "subwoofer" as you would use it for 30 to 500, then a "woofer" for 500 to 2000, then a "tweeter" for 2000 to 20000, or whatever. It's a "subwoofer" because it plays lower than a woofer. But it's not a home subwoofer, it doesn't play below 50 hz really. Large "pro" audio applications can't do low bass because the rooms are too big, like theaters, concert venues, etc.

Like others said, any home theater "subwoofer" will destroy this, like the SI 18 or one of the dayton 18's. What's your budget? What's your room size? What's your max box size?
Bassment is offline  
post #8 of 12 Old Yesterday, 02:52 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: miami, fl
Posts: 4
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassment View Post
This is not a "subwoofer" though. This is a woofer, intended for the bottom end of a speaker. It plays over 2000 hz. You can't really use this as a subwoofer. It rolls off hard at 100 hz. A subwoofer should be 0 to 80 hz. I'm pretty sure a 100 W 10" subwoofer would beat this.

An old thread, I know. Here is frequency response using the cabinet as described on the 18Sound website: eighteensound.com/Enclosure-Design

Bottom green is no EQ and no processing.
Gold is EQ added using Crown XTi internal EQ
Purple is no EQ but using Aphex Exciter/Big Bottom
Top Blue/Green is EQ and Aphex

Pretty flat to 30Hz regardless.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	18Sound.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	81.4 KB
ID:	2089041  
dalbert02 is offline  
post #9 of 12 Old Yesterday, 03:24 PM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Slovenia, Europe
Posts: 6
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Thank you for the info

What material and thickness is the cabinet made of?
pingec is online now  
post #10 of 12 Old Today, 02:47 AM
Member
 
j.d.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 75
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by pingec View Post
Hello everyone!

I would like to build my own 18" subwoofer and I have chosen to use the 18sound's 18lw2400 18lw2400 speaker.

I have chosen this one because the specs look good for the money, because it is easy to source in Europe and because they provide instructions for building a box that was tested to work well. So overall, I think this is a good choice for my first build.

My question is, what amplifier would you suggest for driving this? I am on a limited budget so I am looking for the least expensive amp that will work well with the 18lw2400 and is available for purchase in Europe?

I've been looking at Behringer's amps but there are many contradicting opinions on the internet and I don't know which model would be powerful enough, please advise?

Thanks in advance.

What enclosure and what tuning are you planning for this driver? If you are planning on going with the one in the instructions above, then you will have bass down to about 40Hz. It comes down to application and desired output. What bandwidth do you want from your sub with the build you are going to have. This driver is of high quality and is meant for vented cabinets tuned around 35Hz. If you want lower bass, go with a different driver .

Last edited by j.d.; Today at 02:55 AM.
j.d. is online now  
post #11 of 12 Old Today, 03:32 AM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Slovenia, Europe
Posts: 6
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Two enclosures were built as per the design on the webpage (I cannot post a link because my post count is too low)

The first enclosure (cannot post a photo because my post count is too low) was from 15mm birch plywood (as specified in the pdf) but turned out to be way too weak, the front face was vibrating a lot and needed to be reinforced at some later point.

The second enclosure was then made of a thicker MDF and that one did not have any problems with vibrations.
pingec is online now  
post #12 of 12 Old Today, 03:36 AM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Slovenia, Europe
Posts: 6
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
pingec is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply DIY Speakers and Subs



Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off