Which amplifier for 18sound 18lw2400 ? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 07-10-2014, 06:16 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Question Which amplifier for 18sound 18lw2400 ?

Hello everyone!

I would like to build my own 18" subwoofer and I have chosen to use the 18sound's 18lw2400 18lw2400 speaker.

I have chosen this one because the specs look good for the money, because it is easy to source in Europe and because they provide instructions for building a box that was tested to work well. So overall, I think this is a good choice for my first build.

My question is, what amplifier would you suggest for driving this? I am on a limited budget so I am looking for the least expensive amp that will work well with the 18lw2400 and is available for purchase in Europe?

I've been looking at Behringer's amps but there are many contradicting opinions on the internet and I don't know which model would be powerful enough, please advise?

Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 07-10-2014, 06:51 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Liked: 149
It says 2400 watts, so an inuke 3000 would be good, as long as you buy the 4 ohm version. If you get the 8 ohm version you would need an inuke 6000 for full power.

This is not a "subwoofer" though. This is a woofer, intended for the bottom end of a speaker. It plays over 2000 hz. You can't really use this as a subwoofer. It rolls off hard at 100 hz. A subwoofer should be 0 to 80 hz. I'm pretty sure a 100 W 10" subwoofer would beat this.

I'm sure another european can chime in, but there are definitely way better (like 20 times better) subwoofers available in europe, and designing a box is easy, don't worry about that. If you find a good subwoofer available to you I can help design a box.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 7 Old 07-10-2014, 09:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 161 Post(s)
Liked: 81
Really depends on what your using this for. If you are using it for music than a TH would be best. TH18 design would be the best I can think of for it also. 3000watts peak would be a good start.

Also do you own the 2400 yet? The 2500 is roughly the same price and offers much more Xmax for the same money. I will be buying a pair of these in September when available.

If using this for HT not such a good idea. It can play low but not as good as a HT subwoofer.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #4 of 7 Old 07-11-2014, 12:26 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Thank you very much to both for replying! I have some more questions, hopefully you won't mind answering

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassment View Post
It says 2400 watts, so an inuke 3000 would be good, as long as you buy the 4 ohm version. If you get the 8 ohm version you would need an inuke 6000 for full power.

This is not a "subwoofer" though. This is a woofer, intended for the bottom end of a speaker. It plays over 2000 hz. You can't really use this as a subwoofer. It rolls off hard at 100 hz. A subwoofer should be 0 to 80 hz. I'm pretty sure a 100 W 10" subwoofer would beat this.

I'm sure another european can chime in, but there are definitely way better (like 20 times better) subwoofers available in europe, and designing a box is easy, don't worry about that. If you find a good subwoofer available to you I can help design a box.

1. Thanks for the suggestions for the amplifiers. I checked the NU3000DSP and NU6000DSP manual and it appears that NU6000DSP does not support "bridged mono" mode so they can both provide 3000W max output, first amp over one channel and second over two. Since I am planning to use only one speaker I guess it would make no sense to buy the NU6000DSP ?

2. I don't understand why it is not good for a subwoofer though. Why does the manufacturer call it a subwoofer then?

3. Also it does say it plays over 2000hz but then it also states "Max Recomm. Frequency 500 Hz". Here is the frequency response from the datasheet. Is this not so good for a subwoofer?

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrapladm
Really depends on what your using this for. If you are using it for music than a TH would be best. TH18 design would be the best I can think of for it also. 3000watts peak would be a good start.

Also do you own the 2400 yet? The 2500 is roughly the same price and offers much more Xmax for the same money. I will be buying a pair of these in September when available.

If using this for HT not such a good idea. It can play low but not as good as a HT subwoofer.

4. It would be used mostly for music, yes. Is there a better 18" one for similar price I can get? Thanks for pointing me to the TH18 design, I have found some sketches and cut lists for TH18 for 18lw2400 but it looks very challenging to build as a first DIY project. Maybe I could build a simple cabinet first and then attempt the TH18 as the next step, I need to give some more thought to this idea .

5. I do not own the 2400 yet, but I only have time during the summer vacations so I cannot wait until September if that is when the 2500 will be available? So I am looking for something that I can buy now...

6. Out of curiosity, what would be a good HT speaker for similar money?

Thanks in advance.
post #5 of 7 Old 07-11-2014, 02:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 161 Post(s)
Liked: 81
The 18" is good for pro audio. 18 Sound is a pro audio manufacturer. So they are interested in 30hz and higher. A 18" Ultimax from Dayton or SI 18" would be better for below 35hz and possibly 40hz.

So the LW2400 is a subwoofer its just not intended to be used below its Fs much. BUT for an 18" the LW2400 is one of the best values. Although Dayton now has a pro audio 18" also. BUT I cant comment on those woofers.

post #6 of 7 Old 07-11-2014, 05:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 219 Post(s)
Liked: 159
Don't use that 18Soubds driver as it would not give you any where near the performance of a Dayton RSS460HO-18 or a Stereo Integrity 18HT. I have zero clue if either of these are available in Europe, though. You could send Nick over at Stereo Integrity an email and see if he could ship you one. I have shipped similar items to both the UK and Germany in the past, and I would guesstimate shipping to be between $85.00 and $175.00 depending on the shipping company. Maybe less. You could get an SI 18HT for $160 + let's say $100 shipping and that is still an incredible deal!
post #7 of 7 Old 07-11-2014, 06:08 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Liked: 149
You're right the inuke 6000 is literally just two inuke 3000's in permanent bridge mode. So with one sub inuke 6000 is pointless. By definition it is a "subwoofer" as you would use it for 30 to 500, then a "woofer" for 500 to 2000, then a "tweeter" for 2000 to 20000, or whatever. It's a "subwoofer" because it plays lower than a woofer. But it's not a home subwoofer, it doesn't play below 50 hz really. Large "pro" audio applications can't do low bass because the rooms are too big, like theaters, concert venues, etc.

Like others said, any home theater "subwoofer" will destroy this, like the SI 18 or one of the dayton 18's. What's your budget? What's your room size? What's your max box size?

Reply DIY Speakers and Subs
Gear in this thread

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page