Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 444 Post(s)
Liked: 709
I remember when....

We used to call Marty subs just PORTED ENCLOSURES

What has happened around here? Just sayin'

Reddig and lilmike like this.

(European models do not accept banana plugs.)

"If you done it, it ain't bragging." ~ Walt Whitman

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 122 Old 07-15-2014, 12:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 172 Post(s)
Liked: 244
First, they turned out to be great.
Then they got smaller.
Then they got much smaller.
Then they got much bigger.

All basically the same design, based on simplicity of assembly and great performance.

So what happened is pretty much what's supposed to happen.

Downloadable FREE demo discs:

Did you really need to quote that entire post in your reply?
post #3 of 122 Old 07-15-2014, 01:21 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Next up: Airtight martys
baniels and ChopShop1 like this.
post #4 of 122 Old 07-15-2014, 01:38 PM - Thread Starter
The Truth Hz

First off I want to give a huge shout out to John, for the initial design, and Chaluga for offering the FP's and helping folks out around here, both of your time and efforts are duly noted beyond a shadow of a doubt. You both are incredible guys on the forum.

Now, basically the same design? Basically, any ported subwoofer in a square box could be the same design, with the same simplicity of assembly, and performance only depends on what driver, and what you are trying to get out of it. I thought the marty sub was fun, then I thought the martycube was cute, but now there is a marty everything!!!! Ported boxes are not difficult! They just take a little more work than sealed boxes...

I am glad the tide has changed around here back to ported enclosures, as they are impressive and great bang for the buck, but I used to really enjoy seeing what everyone came up with as their name for their subwoofer builds. Now I guess you just call it a marty-something-erother and call it a day

With that said, when is someone going to start a thread on a sono-marty LLT? Hopefully by the time I drive my Jeep Grand Marty home around 5:30, someone will be interested. I'll will crack my first Marty light, and sit down at my Hewlett-Marty to see what someone has come up with
LTD02 and LO4F like this.

post #5 of 122 Old 07-15-2014, 01:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 303 Post(s)
Liked: 538
Remember kryptonite white's infinite-baffle-mega-marty tuned to 5hz? That's was a great marty build

So what you're saying is: Ported boxes can be any shape or size

Haha, all good. I think it's the newbs who don't understand that simple principle. They think a subs has to be built to exact dimensions or something. So they want to follow an exact plan. There actually are people who think if they cut it a 1/2" short it'll sound bad.
post #6 of 122 Old 07-15-2014, 01:56 PM - Thread Starter
The Truth Hz

Yea, and I'm not trying to knock anyone here what so ever. It was slightly comical to me that all these folks are building different variants of the "Martysub" which is in fact a well designed ported sub and nothing more. No pixie dust on the design to speak of...other than John's love and brain matter.

Nothing wrong with following an exact plan I just never have...

post #7 of 122 Old 07-15-2014, 01:57 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 364 Post(s)
Liked: 143
I'm waiting for a martysphere
Boxozaxu, Bombelman and Boomassiv like this.

post #8 of 122 Old 07-15-2014, 02:15 PM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by tuxedocivic View Post
Remember kryptonite white's infinite-baffle-mega-marty tuned to 5hz? That's was a great marty build

So what you're saying is: Ported boxes can be any shape or size

Haha, all good. I think it's the newbs who don't understand that simple principle. They think a subs has to be built to exact dimensions or something. So they want to follow an exact plan. There actually are people who think if they cut it a 1/2" short it'll sound bad.
You certainly have a point and you're probably right. On the other hand, I do want to build two MiniMarty due to the simple fact they fit my space perfect and I'm going to use the predesignated cut list and assembly. It's easier than trying to start from scratch and build something tuned to a similar hz. I just call it MiniMarty out of respect for the designer and leave it at that. I can see it both ways.
post #9 of 122 Old 07-15-2014, 02:38 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked: 816
Quote:
Originally Posted by beastaudio View Post
We used to call Marty subs just PORTED ENCLOSURES

What has happened around here? Just sayin'

I said this a couple times but I got no supporting replies so I stopped saying it for fear it would piss people off.

My understanding (and I could be wrong) was that a "marty sub" was just a specific design from LTD02 that was a good blend of performance, size, and ease of construction. It was basically just a plan for a ported box. Then the plan got tweaked into mini marty, full size marty etc. But really it's just a bunch of ported boxes, with the plans LTD came up with labeled marty cube.

But I did noticed that people will say they want a "marty cube", then want to change dimensions to fit a space or whatever- You really just want a different ported box, it's easier to design than try to reverse engineer a martysub and twist or contort it. I think the "marty sub" was based on the principle of being 24" by 48" or something similar so it can make efficient use of 4x8 wood sheets, or smaller precut pieces available already 2x4 at your local big box hardware store. But certainly not all ported boxes are marty subs, but certainly all marty subs are ported boxes.

Marty sub
Ported boxes
Vented Enclosure.

I guess it does't matter really what you call it. The popularity of the name is probably a testament to the excellent design John did. It certainly caught on, but truth be told I had made a similar ported box for a 15" back in my car audio days in the late 1990's (24"x24"x24") just because it was easy and made sense. 24" ported cube subwoofers make sense. They just do. LTD just use the same concept with good bracing. Good bracing is a bonus It didn't seem like a big deal back in the 1990's car audio when drivers were smaller and limited in xmax, but with today's 18" monsters used to chase single digit bass in home theaters it's very important.

I agree though, we should start calling ported subs "ported subs" again. Unless you are specifically building the marty sub from the cut sheet and copying LTD02's design you really are just building a ported sub.

Ok... now I need to be stupid and ask - why the name "marty" ? Where did that come from? Was it for the user martycool007 originally or something ?
cocytus and Bombelman like this.

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
post #10 of 122 Old 07-15-2014, 02:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 816 Post(s)
Liked: 972
Its just a great use of the sheet of MDF or plywood. I'm making a micro-cube today( no Marty in that name) and it takes less then a sheet, similar to sealed. I do wonder if more people are building there own sub's now. Maybe a veteran of this site could chime in. Forgetting names and ported or sealed... Are more people diy now ? Just such good bang for your buck.
post #11 of 122 Old 07-15-2014, 02:43 PM - Thread Starter
The Truth Hz

So back in 1990 you built a micro-marty?!?!? Very cool, how did it sound? Just kidding.... I am stressing the point of everything being called marty but celebrating it at the same time, haha. Whoops.

And yes, the original design was inquired by Martycool, but I am not even positive he ever even built the first iteration, it just took off from there

post #12 of 122 Old 07-15-2014, 02:45 PM - Thread Starter
The Truth Hz

Quote:
Originally Posted by chalugadp View Post
Its just a great use of the sheet of MDF or plywood. I'm making a micro-cube today( no Marty in that name) and it takes less then a sheet, similar to sealed. I do wonder if more people are building there own sub's now. Maybe a veteran of this site could chime in. Forgetting names and ported or sealed... Are more people diy now ? Just such good bang for your buck.
From your offering in the classifieds and what I see around here, I am definitely confident that there are more people that found the ease of the design and jumped on the DIY boat. Once again, kudos to you and LTD for your efforts and I can only hope it has simplified things for other members in their journey to get the most bang for their buck

post #13 of 122 Old 07-15-2014, 02:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Marty built the first, I think Mike Hutchins built the second and I think I built the third. I did build the first martycube and microcube . I just hate to think of all those years I put up with crappy bass from my small velodyne sub when I had a woodshop waiting to be used. Its been fun helping people out and i love it when you see someone who doubts they can do it... we talk him into giving it a try... and they love it. Its the best part of being a teacher without the annoying parents, principal, fellow teachers... etc.
beastaudio and Dank1209 like this.
post #14 of 122 Old 07-15-2014, 02:51 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 22
It's called bandwagonism, followtheherdism, or my favorite, imnotcreativeenoughtodesignmyownism syndrome. i kid, i kid.

good points though.

I remember when sonotubes were all the rage when SVS had a strong following, but no really one named their builds. Then the horns blew up, and names for those were being tossed around. That was reserved for the commercial set. I guess if you want to identify with a certain type of an alignment, cool, but sometimes, a good sub design is just that. It's just easier to match performance with a particular build, so you name it More creative names need to be utilized though...I mean, Jeff, Orbit Shifter....yeah, pretty serious.

V.X.Donique

Creator of the AVScience DIY Speakers and Subwoofers Forum

post #15 of 122 Old 07-15-2014, 03:11 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
For handy wood workers it's a no brainer. I feel kind of bad for the dudes buying premade $3000+ subwoofer systems in the non DIY forums actually. I could buy a table saw, brad nailer, compressor, HVLP spray gun, sander, router, and still come in under budget for a dual UXL18" box with a proper amp solution.

Table saw: $500
Router: $100
Brad Nailer: $50
Spray Gun: $40
Sander: $30
Compressor: $100
Amp: $300-$600
Subs: $1000 (UXL18 x2)

For a dude like me you essentially save $500+ on your subwoofer and get $1500 worth of useful tools for free! How can that not make sense ???

If you already own all the tools like I did it makes even more sense from a value perspective. You'd have to be a coward to think differently. None of this is beyond the skill set of a normal human being. It's especially easier when you have dudes making videos how to build, and posting designs with cut sheets

Quote:
So back in 1990 you built a micro-marty?!?!? Very cool, how did it sound? Just kidding.... I am stressing the point of everything being called marty but celebrating it at the same time, haha. Whoops.
It's an odd name to catch on. "marty"

Something crazier like "home wrecker" seems like it would catch on easier but for some reason "marty" just stuck.

BTW I am pretty sure people were building marty cubes (24" cubed ported) before the late 1990's
You would have to try hard to make another design make sense. 24" just seems right. But if you changed it to 22.3" cubed is it still a "marty" ???? haha..

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
post #16 of 122 Old 07-15-2014, 03:12 PM
AVS Special Member

I think horns should become popularized again. Seems there's a circle that goes around: sealed, ported, horn, sealed, ported, horn, etc. About a year of each. Not to mention, if you're limiting LF bandwidth, why not just go horn. We're due for a horn frenzy
post #17 of 122 Old 07-15-2014, 03:14 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
I think horns should become popularized again. Seems there's a circle that goes around: sealed, ported, horn, sealed, ported, horn, etc. About a year of each. Not to mention, if you're limiting LF bandwidth, why not just go horn. We're due for a horn frenzy
The horns do at least have great names

I think horns are less noob friendly. I'm pretty comfortable with a ported box "marty" style, but not so much with a horn fold.

-

post #18 of 122 Old 07-15-2014, 03:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
but can I make a horn in under two hours start to finish. I don't have room but I would like to build one for someone else. definitely would like to hear one. tux why don't you bring a horn to the gtg as well
post #19 of 122 Old 07-15-2014, 03:18 PM - Thread Starter
The Truth Hz

I love that particular name and it lives up to the hype for sure. My last build that turned out to be "The Corinthians" I wanted to initially call Mjolnir (The hammer of Thor) but another DIY'er had already coined that after looking it up (Bodhisafa IIRC). The Corinthians was purely to the fact that they ended up being a stack, floor to ceiling like a corinthian column, but with a brute force amount of power emanating from the 4 18's with the danley horn sandwiched in between....

The names that just depict total brutality are always my favorite though.

OS
Housewrecker
Submaximus
The silverbacks

Good stuff

post #20 of 122 Old 07-15-2014, 03:19 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
but can I make a horn in under two hours start to finish. I don't have room but I would like to build one for someone else. definitely would like to hear one. tux why don't you bring a horn to the gtg as well
That seems optimistic but I don't want to doubt you The question is can you refold or design one ?

You should build a Ghorn. Just because! I am sure you can find someone to sell it off too for a couple hundred bucks to recoup your wood costs. It would be interesting to try it vs the marty I think. I'd like to see that.

-

post #21 of 122 Old 07-15-2014, 03:21 PM - Thread Starter
The Truth Hz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mfusick View Post
But if you changed it to 22.3" cubed is it still a "marty" ???? haha..
Well at least change it to 23 7/8" to account for saw blade cutout to fit it to a normal sized sheet...Oh wait...

post #22 of 122 Old 07-15-2014, 03:22 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
I love that particular name and it lives up to the hype for sure. My last build that turned out to be "The Corinthians" I wanted to initially call Mjolnir (The hammer of Thor) but another DIY'er had already coined that after looking it up (Bodhisafa IIRC). The Corinthians was purely to the fact that they ended up being a stack, floor to ceiling like a corinthian column, but with a brute force amount of power emanating from the 4 18's with the danley horn sandwiched in between....

The names that just depict total brutality are always my favorite though.

OS
Housewrecker
Submaximus
The silverbacks

Good stuff

I want to port a box that's way to big for a consumer home, or perhaps fold a horn for the 24" in my theater and call it "Supernova" explosion. 4 of those should get the job done.

what was the "silverbacks" ? I missed that one.

I agree that the names are awesome. Someone should start a thread about possible names for subwoofer builds. That could be a cool and funny thread.

-

post #23 of 122 Old 07-15-2014, 03:23 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Well at least change it to 23 7/8" to account for saw blade cutout to fit it to a normal sized sheet...Oh wait...
MDF is oversized It's bigger than 4x8

-

post #24 of 122 Old 07-15-2014, 03:24 PM - Thread Starter
The Truth Hz

Quote:
That seems optimistic but I don't want to doubt you The question is can you refold or design one ?

You should build a Ghorn. Just because! I am sure you can find someone to sell it off too for a couple hundred bucks to recoup your wood costs. It would be interesting to try it vs the marty I think. I'd like to see that.
My first DIY with nothing more than a jigsaw, circular saw and drill was the f-20 horn, and while the first took some time with my skills being a little rusty from the car audio days of long ago, the second I managed to cut in one evening after work, and assemble the following friday night. I think I had it up and running by the end of that weekend, but it didn't end up getting painted for several months after that... Who would do such a thing?!?! Haha.

post #25 of 122 Old 07-15-2014, 03:25 PM - Thread Starter
The Truth Hz

Quote:
MDF is oversized It's bigger than 4x8
Yep, I know, but for those of us that stick to ply, you gotta account for that But no, it would make no difference at all

post #26 of 122 Old 07-15-2014, 03:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
but can I make a horn in under two hours start to finish.
I don't really consider build time at all important when building something I plan to live with (test boxes are always sealed though). Performance first. Cost second. Looks third. Build complexity down around 42nd.

Quote:
tux why don't you bring a horn to the gtg as well
Ya I'll just whip one up and strap it to my roof
post #27 of 122 Old 07-15-2014, 03:35 PM

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 45

what I did when I had my first springtime in retirement . . . simple joys
Mfusick and Bombelman like this.

Denon X4000 , Emotiva UPA7, Yamaha 663 for 12.3, configurable
Klipsch F3 FL/R, G-28 CB, Icon 25 CT,RC3II: SL/R SLX: Rears ,TF & TR
2 30" BF THTLP'S and SubMaximus and Inuke6000DSP
Mitsy DLP 73837 Xbox1 PS4 Panny BD 220
post #28 of 122 Old 07-15-2014, 04:30 PM

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Oh oh I want a marty-horn!

15hz and Dayton rss460ho since I have 4.
post #29 of 122 Old 07-15-2014, 04:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 38
What in Gods name is a Marty sub, or who is Marty......I've been busy....

<Multi sub Thread

< Garage Audio !!!
post #30 of 122 Old 07-15-2014, 05:01 PM

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Marty McFly, isn't he the one " it's in B, follow me and try to keep up" . .

Chuck! Chuck!, It's Marvin.
Your cousin, Marvin Berry
You know that new sound you been lookin' for . .
Well, Listen to THIS!

You kids are gonna love this....

All right , all right , all right,
AKA
"one of the kids"

Denon X4000 , Emotiva UPA7, Yamaha 663 for 12.3, configurable
Klipsch F3 FL/R, G-28 CB, Icon 25 CT,RC3II: SL/R SLX: Rears ,TF & TR
2 30" BF THTLP'S and SubMaximus and Inuke6000DSP
Mitsy DLP 73837 Xbox1 PS4 Panny BD 220
Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version