1Likes
  • 1 Post By Martycool007

post #1 of 8 Old 07-17-2014, 02:54 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Built-in sub ideas

We are building a house and the trim carpenter will begin soon. We have a center fireplace with TV above and built in cabinets on both sides. I am looking for ideas on ways to have a sub in he great room that isn't visible. I thought about possibly trying to figure out a way to have the trim carpenter build one in.

Its our great room, I have ceiling speakers and building a custom center speaker not looking for a ton of bass (thats for theater room) just something that will make it sound good. Currently in our old house I have surround without a sub in the great room, and it needs more lows.

Seen the above ceiling idea, and in the floor idea both a possibility

Ideas?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 07-17-2014, 03:09 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 182 Post(s)
Liked: 926
Grab a couple infinity 1260 subs for $60 each and put them up in the attic space ? You could use an HVAC vent to vent the bass into the room. Two of those should get it done for about $125 + some wood and glue. The box does not have to be huge.

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
post #3 of 8 Old 07-18-2014, 04:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 273 Post(s)
Liked: 168
Why not get those 12" Infinity 1260's and put them in a small ported box built and designed to look like end tables for each side of your couch with the driver firing down towards the floor so that no one knows it's there and everyone, possibly even your wife will just think that you have really pretty end tables!
Mfusick likes this.
post #4 of 8 Old 07-18-2014, 09:31 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
The end table idea is cool, but no matter what they won't be the ones she wants.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #5 of 8 Old 07-19-2014, 11:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 303 Post(s)
Liked: 402
All you have to do is show her NotNyt's boxes, which are like two 8x8x8ft... and then she won't think your idea is so crazy...

Although it may backfire... as she will think you are associating-with/being-influenced-by the crazies who run this asylum!
post #6 of 8 Old 07-19-2014, 04:03 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by drewscm View Post
We are building a house and the trim carpenter will begin soon. We have a center fireplace with TV above and built in cabinets on both sides. I am looking for ideas on ways to have a sub in he great room that isn't visible. I thought about possibly trying to figure out a way to have the trim carpenter build one in.

Its our great room, I have ceiling speakers and building a custom center speaker not looking for a ton of bass (thats for theater room) just something that will make it sound good. Currently in our old house I have surround without a sub in the great room, and it needs more lows.

Seen the above ceiling idea, and in the floor idea both a possibility

Ideas?
I have been wrestling with this same idea. My wall is 13' wide, and I am looking at a small direct-vent fireplace that only needs a 33" wide framed opening. The central section with the fireplace will project 21' - 24". The bookcase/cabinet sections on either side will be set back 3". If these bookcase/cabinets sections are 3'6" wide, then the center section is 6'/72". That means there is room for a ~ 18" sub enclosure on each side. With a 21" depth and 30" height, that is at least a 3 cu ft enclosure allowing for clearance so that the subs don't shake the cabinetry. To hide it, I would build a down-firing sub cabinet so that the driver sits 6" to 8" above the floor, and has solid side and back legs so that the soundwaves can only exit to the front (create a U-shaped stand for the sub). Then cover the 18" x 8" slot with some kind of grill that visually matches the fireplace.

I think this is all pretty feasible. I am unnecessarily complicating my life because I'd like to run the 2 subs in stereo for music and as LFE 1 & 2 for HT, so I still have a lot of planning to do around that before I can even think about starting.

Brian
post #7 of 8 Old 07-19-2014, 09:13 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 29
Something like this? It has a white grill too!

(P.s. I have three of those epics up for grabs)

Dan
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	68.4 KB
ID:	171074  
post #8 of 8 Old 07-20-2014, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saabracer23 View Post
Something like this? It has a white grill too!

(P.s. I have three of those epics up for grabs)

Dan
I'd like to see a photo with the grill on, please

Brian
Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page