• 2 Post By tuxedocivic

post #1 of 22 Old 07-17-2014, 10:16 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Fusion 10 Pure or Fusion 12 Tempest?

Hey all,

I am at the point where I need to pull the trigger on my speakers for my dedicated theater room. Room is roughly 18x14x8 with AT screen. I have already designed columns to house the Volt 10's, but need help deciding on the front stage. Currently I have an HSU vtf-15h, but would like to sell and go with 2x SI 18" marty cubes. I have been anticipating ordering the Tempests for about 4 months now, but am starting to reconsider.

With that size room, volt 10's and 2 marty cubes, what would you guys recommend for my LCR. Yes, I know the Tempests are the better speaker between the two, but is it necessary to spend the extra ~$400 for them? My build has gotten to be more expensive than I had planned, so it would be nice to save some money here if possible. What do you pro's think? Thanks a lot for any guidance or help, I really appreciate it!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 Old 07-17-2014, 10:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 887 Post(s)
Liked: 1011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nabukicks View Post
Hey all,

I am at the point where I need to pull the trigger on my speakers for my dedicated theater room. Room is roughly 18x14x8 with AT screen. I have already designed columns to house the Volt 10's, but need help deciding on the front stage. Currently I have an HSU vtf-15h, but would like to sell and go with 2x SI 18" marty cubes. I have been anticipating ordering the Tempests for about 4 months now, but am starting to reconsider.

With that size room, volt 10's and 2 marty cubes, what would you guys recommend for my LCR. Yes, I know the Tempests are the better speaker between the two, but is it necessary to spend the extra ~$400 for them? My build has gotten to be more expensive than I had planned, so it would be nice to save some money here if possible. What do you pro's think? Thanks a lot for any guidance or help, I really appreciate it!
I went from hsu to martycube and you will love the upgrade. as for mains I have alpha minions and from 120hz and up I don't think the tempest are any better. if 50-100 hz is important for your mains then get tempest. if you crossover at 80hz and that little extra midbass isn't critical then go with the 10' s. the 10's will fill the room plenty loud.
post #3 of 22 Old 07-17-2014, 10:43 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the quick reply chalugadp!

It should be noted that this is a dedicated theater room, meaning 98% movies, 2% music for a couple minutes while I try to decide on a movie, lol.
post #4 of 22 Old 07-18-2014, 12:00 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Alternatively, Elusive 1099, Fusion 15 - Sentinel V2 or SEOS Maximus

Last edited by WereWolf84; 07-18-2014 at 12:17 AM.
post #5 of 22 Old 07-18-2014, 12:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 776 Post(s)
Liked: 905
From the limited listening that I have with the Tempest and 1099's which I actually have in my HT room right now, I have to say that I prefer the 1099's.
post #6 of 22 Old 07-18-2014, 05:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 308 Post(s)
Liked: 621
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrown15 View Post
From the limited listening that I have with the Tempest and 1099's which I actually have in my HT room right now, I have to say that I prefer the 1099's.
Your measurements of the Tempest show that something is not right. They should be double checked to be sure they're assembled correctly.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Twelve 10" NHT subwoofer build.
Cloning of a NHT VR-3.
2 ACI 15" subwoofers.

post #7 of 22 Old 07-18-2014, 05:53 AM - Thread Starter

I had looked at the 1099's as well, but again, trying to keep cost lower that that range. I am willing to do tempests if they will really affect my "smaller-ish" room in a way that is worth the extra cash. The price point of the Pures is much more appealing to me.
post #8 of 22 Old 07-18-2014, 06:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 354 Post(s)
Liked: 556
As the designer of the Fusion 10, let me put it this way... And chalugadp pretty much nailed it. The single biggest difference you're gonna hear is right at the hand off with the subs (about 80hz). There aren't many high sensitivity 10" woofers that can do bass with authority. It'll certainly do it just fine, I personally use a variant of the fusion 10 in my theatre. But not quite with the same umph the fusion 12 can. And if you blend the subs well at 80hz you'll find they're both gonna do the job. You'll also get a little better directivity with the 12" width of the fusion 12.

So is the added size and extra $400 worth it? That's for you to answer.
Mfusick and chalugadp like this.
post #9 of 22 Old 07-18-2014, 06:14 AM

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Quote:
Please go on. Would love to hear what you think.

Tux's Elusive 1099 (L/C/R)---Ascend CBM-170 SE (surrounds 9.2)---SVS PB 12 Plus---SVS PC 12 Plus---AVR Denon 4311CI---TV Vizio 70---Unraid 32TB Network Storage---Gateway SX 2370 HTPC with 120 SSD
post #10 of 22 Old 07-18-2014, 06:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCRSS View Post
Please go on. Would love to hear what you think.
not yet...... just wait two more days
post #11 of 22 Old 07-18-2014, 06:53 AM

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by chalugadp View Post
not yet...... just wait two more days

Yes, yes I read about not spilling the beans on them, so I sent jbrown a pm. I ordered 3 - 1099 instead of the 228's and hoping I did the right thing.

Tux's Elusive 1099 (L/C/R)---Ascend CBM-170 SE (surrounds 9.2)---SVS PB 12 Plus---SVS PC 12 Plus---AVR Denon 4311CI---TV Vizio 70---Unraid 32TB Network Storage---Gateway SX 2370 HTPC with 120 SSD
post #12 of 22 Old 07-21-2014, 01:34 PM - Thread Starter

I was ready to pull the trigger last night, and then I read the Vancouver GTG results thread and saw the raving reviews of the 1099's and apparent issues that the tempests had. Yes, I understand that they were up against pretty stiff competition with the 228's and 1099's. Got me to thinking, if I am leaning towards The Tempest, why not spend $80 bucks more (assembled XO's with the tempests) for the 1099's. Only questions is how difficult would the crossover be? I have never soldered, nor built a speaker. I am fairly handy though, having completely finished off my basement, starting with concrete floors and stud walls to a dedicated home theater 100% on my own. I know overkill is a laughed at term in this DIY audio world, but would 1099 LCR, 4 volts 10 surrounds, and 2x SI 18 marty cubes be overkill for a 14x18 room?
post #13 of 22 Old 07-21-2014, 01:59 PM
AVS Special Member

No they wouldn't and that would be one hell of a setup!!
And I think it's safe to say that the Tempest's didn't have any issues at the GTG. We measured them and there's nothing wrong with the pair we tested and listened too.
post #14 of 22 Old 07-21-2014, 05:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I was ready to pull the trigger last night, and then I read the Vancouver GTG results thread and saw the raving reviews of the 1099's and apparent issues that the tempests had. Yes, I understand that they were up against pretty stiff competition with the 228's and 1099's. Got me to thinking, if I am leaning towards The Tempest, why not spend $80 bucks more (assembled XO's with the tempests) for the 1099's. Only questions is how difficult would the crossover be? I have never soldered, nor built a speaker. I am fairly handy though, having completely finished off my basement, starting with concrete floors and stud walls to a dedicated home theater 100% on my own. I know overkill is a laughed at term in this DIY audio world, but would 1099 LCR, 4 volts 10 surrounds, and 2x SI 18 marty cubes be overkill for a 14x18 room?
That would be killer. Don't worry about assembling the xo. I got a feeling there is going to be a lot more 1099 build threads. There is a few people who can already help , tux, fatshaft, etc. Maybe Erich will get a preassembled ones.
post #15 of 22 Old 07-21-2014, 10:01 PM - Thread Starter

Welp. I started this topic wondering if I could go the cheaper route, and ended up going the more expensive route. Put my order in for 3 1099's tonight. That will get me started, and when I can sell my current Polk's and older Onkyo HTIB system, I will order my Volts. Sell my vtf-15 and go double SI 18's and my neighbors will hate me more than they do now. Good problem to have, right? Now, time to research soldering and XO's.
post #16 of 22 Old 07-21-2014, 10:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Don't think of it as a more expensive route, think of it as a cheaper route then wasting me on really expensive poorly sounding commercial speakers!...lol
post #17 of 22 Old 07-21-2014, 10:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Are you planning two rows of seats in your HT or one row?
post #18 of 22 Old 07-21-2014, 10:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Welp. I started this topic wondering if I could go the cheaper route, and ended up going the more expensive route. Put my order in for 3 1099's tonight. That will get me started, and when I can sell my current Polk's and older Onkyo HTIB system, I will order my Volts. Sell my vtf-15 and go double SI 18's and my neighbors will hate me more than they do now. Good problem to have, right? Now, time to research soldering and XO's.
I checked today a couple of times and they were out of stock. When did you order the 1099 ?

I went from vtf15 to double diy. You will love the improvement. Trust me that your system will be worth every penny. To get commercial equivalent it would cost you 10k.
post #19 of 22 Old 07-21-2014, 10:35 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Don't think of it as a more expensive route, think of it as a cheaper route then wasting me on really expensive poorly sounding commercial speakers!...lol

Now to explain that to the wife.....

Quote:
Are you planning two rows of seats in your HT or one row?

I will have one row of 3 power recliners, and one row of 4 $70 Ikea chairs behind on a riser. Its a tight fit, but have done some testing with image size and I like the big screen effect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chalugadp View Post
I checked today a couple of times and they were out of stock. When did you order the 1099 ?

I went from vtf15 to double diy. You will love the improvement. Trust me that your system will be worth every penny. To get commercial equivalent it would cost you 10k.

I checked last night and they were out, but then they were available every time I checked today. I guess they are living up to the elusive name. "finding them in stock makes me a winner"
post #20 of 22 Old 07-22-2014, 03:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 220 Post(s)
Liked: 160
Quote:
Now to explain that to the wife.....

I will have one row of 3 power recliners, and one row of 4 $70 Ikea chairs behind on a riser. Its a tight fit, but have done some testing with image size and I like the big screen effect.

I checked last night and they were out, but then they were available every time I checked today. I guess they are living up to the elusive name. "finding them in stock makes me a winner"

Where in the world did you find decent home theater seating for $70 each? Can you post a link to the specific chairs on their website?
post #21 of 22 Old 07-22-2014, 05:55 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martycool007 View Post
Where in the world did you find decent home theater seating for $70 each? Can you post a link to the specific chairs on their website?
http://m.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/spr/79825225/

certainly nothing fancy, but very comfortable. Not sure about durability or lifespan yet, as they haven't been used yet. I've seen these recommended once or twice over in the dedicated theater area. Given the price and how often (or not often) they will he used, I am confident they were a good pickup.
post #22 of 22 Old 07-22-2014, 08:30 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked: 855
I'd put it in this order:

Tempest 12"
Fusion Pure 10"

Even the FUSION 8 would be "enough" though. Play louder than you'd ever need.

It's hard to answer subjective questions on three or more great speakers because at the end of the day all of them are great. You might get a little more of something with one over the other, and that usually costs a bit too. If it's "worth" it is a hard question because only the person buying can really make that decision.

Do you need the benefits of the bigger wave guide and sweet spot and soundstage of the FUSION 12" with bigger SEOS in it ? Do you need the extra midbass OOMPHFF that a 12" driver will provide ?

The 1099 probably has the best sound, and has dedicated midranges, and also dual woofs. So it's probably the best of the bunch, especially after the recent GTG confirming it's awesomeness. But again, even a FUSION 8" is probably great choice and enough. Sky is the limit but with any of these DIY designs value is just oozing out of them from every place. I think you'd be surprised how awesome even the 6" and 8" designs can be if you'd never experienced a CD/waveguide and high dynamic range and efficiency speaker before. A Tempest of 1099 will just seem silly to you what they can do. You'll be impressed with any of the great designs.

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page