13w7 dual PR - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 07-19-2014, 03:01 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
13w7 dual PR

Purchased a JL 13w7 for a new project. Been searching the forums and haven't seen to many diy builds with them so figured I'd reach out and look for some input. Thoughts are to go dual PR's. Did some modeling and was looking at 3.8 net running 2x15" PR weighted 1400grs. Power would be supplied by a Behringer 3000dsp running 2ohm. If I model at 1200w I'm well within cone excursion an tuning would be around 15hz. Looking for input on cab size and also PR weighting or even if I should look at doing dual 18". Thanks guys
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 07-20-2014, 02:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked: 72
Is the excursion for the PRs within Xmax within their limits too?
Excursion below tune accelerates rapidly below tune just like a ported does so a HPF >2nd order is suggested just below tune.
Post the sims and you'll likely get more response.
post #3 of 8 Old 07-27-2014, 08:15 PM - Thread Starter

I am familiar with the PR setup as 2 subs in my system right now are diy PR setups. The PR's for this build I was thinking of going with acoustic elegance. I'm not sure weather to go with the 15" or 18". Modeling with the dual 15" with the following spec.
PR15-1050
Fs: 4.9 Hz
Qms: 52
Vas: 978 L
Mms: 1050 g
Sd: 830 sqcm
Vd: 4.2 L
Xmax: 50mm p-p
Modeling these Xmax on the PR's are good. I'm not really showing much difference between the 1050 weight and the 1400 weight. always try to look for opinions and input as the first diy sub I did I did years ago I completely messed up a couple inputs in my modeling and needless to say had to redo the whole enclosure. I like others ideas as many out here have some great ideas. I'm trying to keep the enclosure on the smaller side still. Max for me on this would be 4.5 cubic but would prefer to stay around 3.5-4.0 cubic if the modeling shows it a viable option. Let me know your thoughts
post #4 of 8 Old 07-28-2014, 06:09 PM - Thread Starter

Did some more modeling so looking for input with using a pair if the PR's above I am looking at doing 3.85 cubic net. Let me know how this looks when someone gets a minute to model up to see if I'm looking good on this design
post #5 of 8 Old 07-28-2014, 06:34 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Out of curiosity, with that much power, why not just go sealed and save a bit of the headache? I've just picked up an iNuke3000dsp as well and haven't decided exactly what I'm going to be building yet-I'm quite interested on what you decide.
post #6 of 8 Old 07-28-2014, 06:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Liked: 394
I'd just go ported instead of PR. Save the cost/headache. Most around here don't use the 13w7 since it's not really economical. Low displacement and high price. Good for a car where you can use it in a small enclosure.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #7 of 8 Old 07-28-2014, 06:41 PM - Thread Starter

I like the PR set up. 2 subs in my system right now are PR's. My two other subs in the system are sealed. The sealed are used when I'm listening to music and the ones with the PR's are used for movies. I really like the PR's output from the smaller size enclousre versus going ported and SQ that I get from them is very nice also. Not really much of a headache just a couple extra holes to route out and figure out were to brace. I'm not really set on the 3000dsp right now as I'm looking for other amp options for this also.
post #8 of 8 Old 07-28-2014, 07:09 PM - Thread Starter

For me displacement will be a small step up. Not like all the 18" ultra's. But a small step up. I currently have 5 DIY subs. All are 12". So the 13" is a step up not a lot but some. I really just do this for the fun of it. I like to hear the difference in the builds I do and it helps keeps me busy. After this project I will be making the leap to a 15". Not sure what to look at for that. But I'll hit that one in about a month or so. If you have any suggestions on that I'm open to all to get the ball rolling. Heck can pick up a sub early an do the planning for it while I'm doing the cutting and assembly for the 13" I have now. It seems you have a preference for the LMS drivers. Didn't you originally have them all in sealed? Ideas on a solid 15" for HT? Would go either ported or PR for that build. Cost for the 15" I'm open to all price ranges.
Reply DIY Speakers and Subs
Gear in this thread - 13w7 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page