post #31 of 70 Old 07-26-2014, 04:05 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 199 Post(s)
Liked: 384
Quote:
Originally Posted by beastaudio View Post
I expect you to have that thing up and running before duratex for listening impressions like, before the end of the weekend.
I plan on getting filling and sanding done shortly, so they will be painted soon. They should be ready in no time! We had some family over last night and now this morning, but as soon as I get a chance I will take another crack at it. And yes, I owe you a call back today.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Simonian View Post
Hell yeah, man.

Hero status.
Thanks Scott!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 70 Old 07-26-2014, 08:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 249 Post(s)
Liked: 398
Where do y'all get this filling from, or should I just by a half dozen $3 pillows from Walmart?

Sent using Tapatalk since the mobile version is still 👎
post #33 of 70 Old 07-26-2014, 03:25 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ambesolman View Post
Where do y'all get this filling from, or should I just by a half dozen $3 pillows from Walmart?

Pillows or fiberfill from Walmart, joann fabric, etc. available lots of places including craft stores.
ambesolman likes this.

post #34 of 70 Old 07-26-2014, 03:32 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I expect you to have that thing up and running before duratex for listening impressions like, before the end of the weekend.
Since you requested:

Prep, fill, sand, repeat

3 coats Duratex drying:

I'm going to get shot for hanging in the shed for a lot of the afternoon.

Last edited by Gorilla83; 07-26-2014 at 03:36 PM.
post #35 of 70 Old 07-26-2014, 04:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 309 Post(s)
Liked: 660
Send a message via Skype™ to popalock
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorilla83 View Post
I'm going to get shot for hanging in the shed for a lot of the afternoon.
Gotta get that DIY fix in before the vaycay.

Challenge: Don't visit AVS one time during your trip.

post #36 of 70 Old 07-26-2014, 04:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 79
Wow that was fast.
post #37 of 70 Old 07-26-2014, 04:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpmbc View Post
Wow that was fast.
Looks like...

popalock and Gorilla83 like this.
post #38 of 70 Old 07-26-2014, 04:40 PM
The Truth Hz

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 510 Post(s)
Liked: 752
Since I don't have my own thread yet, I will post here. Doing a little fun myself trying a little new surround mock-up...

(European models do not accept banana plugs.)

"If you done it, it ain't bragging." ~ Walt Whitman

post #39 of 70 Old 07-26-2014, 04:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 79
Lol ambesolman
post #40 of 70 Old 07-26-2014, 06:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Dual 18" SI enclosure for nearfield use

Quote:
Since I don't have my own thread yet, I will post here. Doing a little fun myself trying a little new surround mock-up...

That's not going to sound very good without a driver in it, easy to EQ though. Besides, don't you already have angled surrounds (slant 8s maybe)?

post #41 of 70 Old 07-26-2014, 08:05 PM
The Truth Hz

Right now I have zilch's old eminence 10" coaxial design for sides, and I had the two beyma 8's as rears, but MTG90 has one of the beymas in box right now to work on a crossover, so I have had to disconnect the rear surrounds until it comes back. Well, I want 7.1 back, so I thought I would try out a new design that angles the side surrounds down a little (a lot) more and improve on their aesthetics. This will take the place of the left surround and I will use the previous box (that is identical to the rears) for the rear surround that is missing right now and pop the emmy's back in until I get something with the Beyma. Lotta work for a temporary box, but with this 45 degree angle and the box mounted at the ceiling, it shoots the driver perfectly to the middle of the theater. Pretty gratuitous angle that usually isn't necessary, but with a 12 foot wide space and ceiling mounting, it works out perfect.

I'll have a thread up with pics and such. Before and afters as well. This front baffle is BIG for a 10, but I think overall it will be a huge improvement to where I will end up doing the other side surround the same.

When you have a hankering to do some woodworking, it is impossible to satiate it with anything else

post #42 of 70 Old 07-26-2014, 09:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thread jacker!!!!

I'm trying to envison that box with the edges rounded over... Just to imagine it... Hummm...

post #43 of 70 Old 07-26-2014, 11:03 PM
The Truth Hz

Quote:
Originally Posted by popalock View Post
Thread jacker!!!!

I'm trying to envison that box with the edges rounded over... Just to imagine it... Hummm...
Check the build thread then homey

post #44 of 70 Old 07-27-2014, 05:06 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpmbc View Post
Wow that was fast.
Got to get it done. Have some visitors coming next weekend that might want to check it out in action. And we are away on vaca this week so doesn't leave many choices.

Quote:
Looks like...

Sent using Tapatalk since the mobile version is still ������
You could say that. The wife had me fixing up my sons playground all morning to get ready for his upcoming 1st birthday party - among a few other things. The sub was worked on in between those projects. Haha.

Quote:

Good deal B! Like we discussed before I'm going to experiment with cutting up some angled boxes soon.

Quote:
Gotta get that DIY fix in before the vaycay.

Challenge: Don't visit AVS one time during your trip.

Challenged REJECTED!!

I've got baby duty this morning and I'm earning my 'credits' for some playtime later on. the box is still drying (curing), but I've got the wiring ready to go (and amp connected) for when she's dry. I will be running on one channel of the inuke6000 DSP.

I will have to check my polyfil inventory as I might need a few pounds.

Last edited by Gorilla83; 07-27-2014 at 05:17 AM.
post #45 of 70 Old 07-27-2014, 06:12 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Few more shots of the box:

Recessed speakon connector

Back view showing small roundovers

Some sunspots on the lens, bah

post #46 of 70 Old 07-27-2014, 06:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Schweeeet The sun flair was a nice JJ Abrams touch!

post #47 of 70 Old 07-27-2014, 02:23 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Schweeeet The sun flair was a nice JJ Abrams touch!

Thanks!

Well, got her fired up! Got about 10 minutes to listen so far, but it's certainly a drastic difference. The tactile feeling on the rear seats on the riser increases exponentially with this box playing. I did feel at first that it is somewhat localizeable, but a lot of that may be due to the levels which I have not 100% optimized yet of course. I played with a few different crossover points and the 80hz cross with the front +2 hotter sounded really good. Going to watch a movie tonight to get a better feel!

Dropping in the drivers (before polyfil shot):

Speakon wired up

Well hello boys

New amp in place

Camo mode - in it's new home

post #48 of 70 Old 07-27-2014, 02:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Try a 40Hz cross and give that bottom end a ULFtacular boost...

That's pretty much what I did for watching movies (didn't like hearing voices in my back).

For music, I would run the same curve for front and back, +2-3db louder in front and I would HPF with a 24db slope @ 20Hz... that would give me headroom for dayz!

post #49 of 70 Old 07-27-2014, 03:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked: 185
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorilla83 View Post
Thanks!

Well, got her fired up! Got about 10 minutes to listen so far, but it's certainly a drastic difference. The tactile feeling on the rear seats on the riser increases exponentially with this box playing. I did feel at first that it is somewhat localizeable, but a lot of that may be due to the levels which I have not 100% optimized yet of course. I played with a few different crossover points and the 80hz cross with the front +2 hotter sounded really good. Going to watch a movie tonight to get a better feel!
Nice build! Love the nearfield play...dramatically adds tactile feedback as you've experienced. Also, depending on your HT seating, can give you a similar transducer shake, but also add tactile feedback not only to the base of your seating, but directly on your back and also affect the chest cavity as well. Transducers cannot do this...

Are you nearfield subs 1M or less away from the LP? From my brief reading of this thread, it sounds like they are; which is a good thing from a tactile feedback standpoint. Can measure what your FR is from just those subs? Being that close, they'll likely resemble their native nearfield response. I would play around with their FR and see what gives you the best tactile feedback you're looking for. Personally, I would try and make them extend as deep as possible on their own to the point where they don't limit your front subs and your max listening level. In my room, I find the 10-20hz tactile feedback most impressive...truth be told though, it's all good.
post #50 of 70 Old 07-27-2014, 05:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 887 Post(s)
Liked: 1011
My one 15" is about 18" away and you can feel it in your seat, back,chest, etc. It has made a huge tactile difference. I love it.
Gorilla83 likes this.
post #51 of 70 Old 07-27-2014, 05:16 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked: 198
I think that near field subs may turn into the next popular build on the forum. Lots of good feedback lately, and soon I'll be posting a little build thread for my latest sub.

Ps - gorilla, great idea recessing the speakon connector. I'm definitely gonna do that next time.

post #52 of 70 Old 07-27-2014, 05:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 887 Post(s)
Liked: 1011
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevings View Post
I think that near field subs may turn into the next popular build on the forum. Lots of good feedback lately, and soon I'll be posting a little build thread for my latest sub.

Ps - gorilla, great idea recessing the speakon connector. I'm definitely gonna do that next time.
Looking forward to it. You always have great pics
post #53 of 70 Old 07-27-2014, 05:59 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked: 198
Thx Donny,

I'm in ohio for the next week, but I'll start a thread when I get back.

post #54 of 70 Old 07-27-2014, 07:57 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Try a 40Hz cross and give that bottom end a ULFtacular boost...

That's pretty much what I did for watching movies (didn't like hearing voices in my back).

For music, I would run the same curve for front and back, +2-3db louder in front and I would HPF with a 24db slope @ 20Hz... that would give me headroom for dayz!
Good deal, thanks for the info to experiment with. I'm sure we will be playing quite a bit next weekend too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dominguez1 View Post
Nice build! Love the nearfield play...dramatically adds tactile feedback as you've experienced. Also, depending on your HT seating, can give you a similar transducer shake, but also add tactile feedback not only to the base of your seating, but directly on your back and also affect the chest cavity as well. Transducers cannot do this...

Are you nearfield subs 1M or less away from the LP? From my brief reading of this thread, it sounds like they are; which is a good thing from a tactile feedback standpoint. Can measure what your FR is from just those subs? Being that close, they'll likely resemble their native nearfield response. I would play around with their FR and see what gives you the best tactile feedback you're looking for. Personally, I would try and make them extend as deep as possible on their own to the point where they don't limit your front subs and your max listening level. In my room, I find the 10-20hz tactile feedback most impressive...truth be told though, it's all good.
My main LP in the second row is right on top of these guys. I did a few quick sweeps with fronts only, rears only, and combined and the native response looked pretty good. It does appear to be adding some room gain as the rears weren't rolling off until 18hz or so IIRC. The sweeps are on my netbook so will have to grab and post them. Lots more testing and playing to do but the tactile response they provide I think would be nearly impossible to achieve in any other way. no transducers needed here!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chalugadp View Post
My one 15" is about 18" away and you can feel it in your seat, back,chest, etc. It has made a huge tactile difference. I love it.
no going back now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevings View Post

I agree that they may become quite popular. Certainly it's not a new concept by any means, but like anything else these builds come in waves.

post #55 of 70 Old 07-28-2014, 06:46 AM
The Truth Hz

Is the box sitting on your riser? Or on the floor behind the riser? Looks too fun not to try myself, really. Ok, move front row up more, make second row MLP from now on, get current bar out of theater, create new bar with 4-6 nearfield 18's....or 8....

post #56 of 70 Old 07-28-2014, 07:39 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Is the box sitting on your riser? Or on the floor behind the riser? Looks too fun not to try myself, really. Ok, move front row up more, make second row MLP from now on, get current bar out of theater, create new bar with 4-6 nearfield 18's....or 8....
It is on my floor direct behind the seats. I set it up so that we can fully recline and be right next to the woofs. I had plans to couple it but after watching a movie last night it's working great and I will leave as is. My wife was saying her face and back itched at times from the bass, lol. I was originally planning to do 4 drivers behind the row but I think 2 is substantial and I'll focus on what to do for the first row next, if anything. I also noted that running the subs very hot is much more noticeable and had to dial them down just a bit since it started to get distracting,heh. hope you can make it this weekend to listen!

Before leaving this morning I all but finished up running another 30amp line just in case I run into trouble with the two amps (more like 1.5) on one line.

Last edited by Gorilla83; 07-28-2014 at 07:44 AM.
post #57 of 70 Old 07-28-2014, 10:37 AM
The Truth Hz

I was redoing my wall wiring after I tossed the peavey back in the rack, I almost plugged it into the same as the crest but thought better of it... I still have to put one of the two on the same run as the Dsonic, but won't be a problem methinks.

post #58 of 70 Old 07-28-2014, 05:32 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I was redoing my wall wiring after I tossed the peavey back in the rack, I almost plugged it into the same as the crest but thought better of it... I still have to put one of the two on the same run as the Dsonic, but won't be a problem methinks.
On a 30 amp dedicated line like we have, I wonder if 2 of our amps running in 4 ohm mode would be ok? They seem pretty efficient, guess it would depend on how hard they are pushed.

post #59 of 70 Old 07-29-2014, 09:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Nice work!

How's F'in Irene feel with the new near fields?
post #60 of 70 Old 07-29-2014, 11:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by klipsch View Post
Nice work!

How's F'in Irene feel with the new near fields?
Haha, I wonder what it would take for anyone to think 6Hz was intense? I know pushing 6Hz close to 120db never phased any of my guest. Looking at the drivers flex and watching my storage room doors go nuts was fun, but not really eventful at my MLP in my space anyway. I'd imagine one would need another 20db or so (140db) to feel like... WHOA...

Don't know of anyone with remotely anywhere close to that...in the world...

Archaea hates that scene...worthless in his eyes.

Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page