Forum Jump: 
 19Likes

post #61 of 70 Old 07-29-2014, 12:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 19
With enough subs and power, we should be able to get to the 4D experience ... 4th D being wind and air moving past your face just like a real helicopter was in the room
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 70 Old 07-29-2014, 01:33 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 244 Post(s)
Liked: 398
Quote:
Originally Posted by klipsch View Post
Nice work!

How's F'in Irene feel with the new near fields?
Didnt get a chance to play any of the demo disc just yet. We are away for the week and will be back Friday to continue playing. I did get a chance to crank up bass I love you which sounded fantastic though.
post #63 of 70 Old 07-29-2014, 01:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 628 Post(s)
Liked: 594
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorilla83 View Post
Didnt get a chance to play any of the demo disc just yet. We are away for the week and will be back Friday to continue playing. I did get a chance to crank up bass I love you which sounded fantastic though.
Did that long drawn out 17hz note shake the crap out of you? I found that when messing with sub locations around the room and using 2 of the SI's as end tables they did not give near the shake with the low stuff that the Crowson's did, that 17hz note from Bass I Love you is a great test for that.

However, your back row is on a riser and since the subs are right behind you I'm betting it's a lot more impressive than on concrete with the SI's as end tables.
post #64 of 70 Old 07-29-2014, 02:10 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by carp View Post
Did that long drawn out 17hz note shake the crap out of you? I found that when messing with sub locations around the room and using 2 of the SI's as end tables they did not give near the shake with the low stuff that the Crowson's did, that 17hz note from Bass I Love you is a great test for that.

However, your back row is on a riser and since the subs are right behind you I'm betting it's a lot more impressive than on concrete with the SI's as end tables.
The shake on the low notes was much more potent than I would have expected. From the quick sweep I did I appear to be getting a bit of room gain as well. Not as much as up front, but still decent and when felt on the riser its a really cool effect. Now on to experiment with what to do for the first row.
post #65 of 70 Old 07-29-2014, 02:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorilla83 View Post
Now on to experiment with what to do for the first row.
I'll be VERY interested to see what you come up with for that.
post #66 of 70 Old 08-04-2014, 08:44 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Got a chance to dial these in a bit and crank them up for some guests this weekend. I've concluded that for normal music/movie watching I like them crossed at 80hz and run -6DB compared to the front sub array. For spirited demos I bumped up that level a bit, but the normal level I found to be most natural and less distracting from the content being displayed/heard. Also received a bunch of feedback - almost everyone seemed to enjoy the new setup. I'm glad I took this on.

The nice part was that even with the box behind the second row, it still seems to add quite a bit of punch to the first row as well. I'm debating as to if it's worth adding any more enclosures to the room to support the first row. Honestly, if I didn't already have extra SI drivers around I wouldn't be considering anything. However, since I do I may churn out a box or two just to play with. Quite possibly maybe I could sneak something narrow onto the "step" of my riser that would fire into the first row? Besides, what else can I do at this point for LFE? AS far as output I am DONE. The demos we did on Saturday gave me bass like I never heard bass in my room like that before.

Also - I posted some measurements in my basement hangout thread and wanted to share here:

Some quick/dirty sweeps before EQ/distance settings/phase:

Rear subs only:

Front subs only

All subs

All subs after distances set and 4DB shelf applied at 20hz - NO smoothing used

Full range sweep, back row (used to have big nulls before all treatments and new subs added) 1/24 smoothing, no other EQ applied

Last edited by Gorilla83; 08-04-2014 at 08:49 AM.
post #67 of 70 Old 08-04-2014, 09:03 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Just wondering when using Nearfield subs if any Delay has to be applied to the further subs ?
post #68 of 70 Old 08-04-2014, 09:13 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by randyc1 View Post
Just wondering when using Nearfield subs if any Delay has to be applied to the further subs ?
In most rooms (including mine) there will be some type of phase adjustment/delay/distance calculation to get everything to integrate properly. With all of my subs being sealed, this was a 20 minute effort with some trial and effort to get it set up. This would be very difficult to get correct without measurement gear as I had to tweak quite a bit after Audyssey set distances.
randyc1 likes this.
post #69 of 70 Old 08-04-2014, 01:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Where was the mic for the measurements? Do both rows measure well?

Good stuff!
post #70 of 70 Old 08-04-2014, 01:33 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by carp View Post
Where was the mic for the measurements? Do both rows measure well?

Good stuff!
Mic was in the second row, left seat for these sweeps. This is usually where I listen when watching with the wife. Front row center seat had a bit of a dip at 50hz but otherwise most seats were similarly and smooth. I was surprised how much the new box smoothed out the back row. Sorry I should have clarified that, thanks for asking!
carp likes this.

Last edited by Gorilla83; 08-04-2014 at 01:37 PM.
Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page