AVS Forum banner

Dual 18" SI enclosure for nearfield use

5K views 72 replies 19 participants last post by  Gorilla83 
#1 · (Edited)
Hi guys,

I've been wanting to build out a nice nearfield enclosure since I moved my other 8 SIs D4s up front behind my screen wall. This box, which will be placed directly behind my second row, will be coupled to my riser. This will be the first 'nearfield experimentation' phase, and next will be building out a few side enclosures for the first row. Pretty basic sealed enclosure, I made it plenty narrow as to not get in the way and tall enough to fire directly into my back seats. :) I'll be powering with one channel with either my Peavey IPR7500 or Inuke6000 DSP.

Google sketchup, including dimensions:

Cuts and dry fitment:

Should be gluing her up in the next few days. Finishing will be duratex to match my other gear - I love that stuff!

See less See more
#9 ·
Hah, now you're on to something. :D

Oh that should be a nice contribution. Once you feel it there's no going back and you've got one of the big issues covered out the gate. A lot of times it's hard to eliminate the feel that the bass is originating behind you depending on how close the subs are up on you. You're stacked up front so that's a huge first step. The only other factor might depend on how high you xover. Good times await :) Btw, I can see you're having fun with the CNC. NICE!
I'm looking forward to this experiment for sure. I used to have one of my DO enclosures right behind the riser as well and I miss the feeling. Even with the 100hz Xover I didn't recall having issues before but we'll see.

+1

IIRC Gorilla has a 10x10HD so he can set a few different curves for some quick switching/comparison. I'm assuming this will be complete and integrated before Aug 2nd?

:D
Oh yeah, still have the 10x10 and it does come in handy. :) I am certainly hoping to have the enclosure ready soon since we go on vacation next week. :) Might even get some time tonight to work on it if I'm lucky. It should go together quickly with the nailer.

#7 ·
Oh that should be a nice contribution. Once you feel it there's no going back and you've got one of the big issues covered out the gate. A lot of times it's hard to eliminate the feel that the bass is originating behind you depending on how close the subs are up on you. You're stacked up front so that's a huge first step. The only other factor might depend on how high you xover. Good times await :) Btw, I can see you're having fun with the CNC. NICE!

#8 ·
+1

If anyone out there is down to expriment with xover and integration, it's G-rillz...

IIRC Gorilla has a 10x10HD so he can set a few different curves for some quick switching/comparison. I'm assuming this will be complete and integrated before Aug 2nd?

:D

#13 ·
Gorilla,

Im looking at your yard in one of your pictures and Im seriously jealous. Look at all that grass! Whatcha got over there, about an acre?

Also, the sub is looking great. With bracing like that, you and your family could crawl into that thing and be safe if the north koreans ever attack us: )

#31 ·
I plan on getting filling and sanding done shortly, so they will be painted soon. They should be ready in no time! We had some family over last night and now this morning, but as soon as I get a chance I will take another crack at it. And yes, I owe you a call back today. :)

Hell yeah, man.

Hero status.
Thanks Scott!

#32 ·
Where do y'all get this filling from, or should I just by a half dozen $3 pillows from Walmart?

Sent using Tapatalk since the mobile version is still 👎

#40 ·
That's not going to sound very good without a driver in it, easy to EQ though. Besides, don't you already have angled surrounds (slant 8s maybe)?

Sent using Tapatalk since the mobile version is still 👎

#41 ·
Right now I have zilch's old eminence 10" coaxial design for sides, and I had the two beyma 8's as rears, but MTG90 has one of the beymas in box right now to work on a crossover, so I have had to disconnect the rear surrounds until it comes back. Well, I want 7.1 back, so I thought I would try out a new design that angles the side surrounds down a little (a lot) more and improve on their aesthetics. This will take the place of the left surround and I will use the previous box (that is identical to the rears) for the rear surround that is missing right now and pop the emmy's back in until I get something with the Beyma. Lotta work for a temporary box, but with this 45 degree angle and the box mounted at the ceiling, it shoots the driver perfectly to the middle of the theater. Pretty gratuitous angle that usually isn't necessary, but with a 12 foot wide space and ceiling mounting, it works out perfect.

I'll have a thread up with pics and such. Before and afters as well. This front baffle is BIG for a 10, but I think overall it will be a huge improvement to where I will end up doing the other side surround the same.

When you have a hankering to do some woodworking, it is impossible to satiate it with anything else :D

#47 ·
Thanks!

Well, got her fired up! Got about 10 minutes to listen so far, but it's certainly a drastic difference. The tactile feeling on the rear seats on the riser increases exponentially with this box playing. I did feel at first that it is somewhat localizeable, but a lot of that may be due to the levels which I have not 100% optimized yet of course. I played with a few different crossover points and the 80hz cross with the front +2 hotter sounded really good. Going to watch a movie tonight to get a better feel!

Dropping in the drivers (before polyfil shot):

Speakon wired up

Well hello boys

New amp in place

Camo mode - in it's new home

#54 ·
Good deal, thanks for the info to experiment with. I'm sure we will be playing quite a bit next weekend too. :)

Nice build! Love the nearfield play...dramatically adds tactile feedback as you've experienced. Also, depending on your HT seating, can give you a similar transducer shake, but also add tactile feedback not only to the base of your seating, but directly on your back and also affect the chest cavity as well. Transducers cannot do this...

Are you nearfield subs 1M or less away from the LP? From my brief reading of this thread, it sounds like they are; which is a good thing from a tactile feedback standpoint. Can measure what your FR is from just those subs? Being that close, they'll likely resemble their native nearfield response. I would play around with their FR and see what gives you the best tactile feedback you're looking for. Personally, I would try and make them extend as deep as possible on their own to the point where they don't limit your front subs and your max listening level. In my room, I find the 10-20hz tactile feedback most impressive...truth be told though, it's all good. :)
My main LP in the second row is right on top of these guys. I did a few quick sweeps with fronts only, rears only, and combined and the native response looked pretty good. It does appear to be adding some room gain as the rears weren't rolling off until 18hz or so IIRC. The sweeps are on my netbook so will have to grab and post them. Lots more testing and playing to do but the tactile response they provide I think would be nearly impossible to achieve in any other way. :) no transducers needed here!

My one 15" is about 18" away and you can feel it in your seat, back,chest, etc. It has made a huge tactile difference. I love it.
:) no going back now.

I think that near field subs may turn into the next popular build on the forum. Lots of good feedback lately, and soon I'll be posting a little build thread for my latest sub.

Ps - gorilla, great idea recessing the speakon connector. I'm definitely gonna do that next time.
I agree that they may become quite popular. Certainly it's not a new concept by any means, but like anything else these builds come in waves. :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.