DIY or OEM??? - AVS Forum
DIY Speakers and Subs > DIY or OEM???
royalstud02's Avatar royalstud02 12:13 AM 07-21-2014
I am trying to decide what sub would be a good fit for my home theater. The room is very large and has 16 foot ceilings and is adjoined by the kitchen and entry and has an open floor plan. I would prefer one sub and really don't want to spend more than $1000. I'm not concerned with how nice it looks or how big it is. I mainly watch movies and rarely listen to music so I'm thinking a large ported sub might be best. It was recommended to post a thread in the DIY section to save money and have a better end product. However, I have no idea where to start nor do I have the tools or skills to custom build a box. Does anyone have any recommendations on what to purchase?

chalugadp's Avatar chalugadp 12:24 AM 07-21-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by royalstud02 View Post
I am trying to decide what sub would be a good fit for my home theater. The room is very large and has 16 foot ceilings and is adjoined by the kitchen and entry and has an open floor plan. I would prefer one sub and really don't want to spend more than $1000. I'm not concerned with how nice it looks or how big it is. I mainly watch movies and rarely listen to music so I'm thinking a large ported sub might be best. It was recommended to post a thread in the DIY section to save money and have a better end product. However, I have no idea where to start nor do I have the tools or skills to custom build a box. Does anyone have any recommendations on what to purchase?
Stonehenge from diysoundgroup.
LTD02's Avatar LTD02 01:02 AM 07-21-2014
this and all the builds linked through it will really get you up to speed.


Large Ported Dayton HO18's
jake515 09:19 AM 07-21-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by royalstud02 View Post
I am trying to decide what sub would be a good fit for my home theater. The room is very large and has 16 foot ceilings and is adjoined by the kitchen and entry and has an open floor plan. I would prefer one sub and really don't want to spend more than $1000. I'm not concerned with how nice it looks or how big it is. I mainly watch movies and rarely listen to music so I'm thinking a large ported sub might be best. It was recommended to post a thread in the DIY section to save money and have a better end product. However, I have no idea where to start nor do I have the tools or skills to custom build a box. Does anyone have any recommendations on what to purchase?
Go with ported 18's. Start with one or two and then add on as you see fit.
The stonehenge kit from diysoundgroup is easy to assemble and a good value.

If this is your first project the si18's are a great value and are less than 200 each shipped.
The lms5400 are awesome and for $925 each plus shipping they should be.
I am a fan of using the lower cost drivers to begin with and see if you need/want more.
For me it is all about the performance for the dollar.

Designing and building your own box would be the most affordable option. You would have to break out the saw and be able to work with 4x8 stock. Just depends on how comfortable you are with your wood working skills.
I prefer the flat pack option, well designed braces, easy to assemble and looks great.
For the result I get and the time and mess I save it is well worth the money.

Do plan on using an out board amp and skip the plate amp options. A pro style amp will give you way more watts for your dollar and many come with dsp built in to help you get your in room response the way you want it. The inukes are very popular and are the best value out there.

Good Luck Post pics of what you build!
royalstud02's Avatar royalstud02 06:25 PM 07-21-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by jake515 View Post
Go with ported 18's. Start with one or two and then add on as you see fit.
The stonehenge kit from diysoundgroup is easy to assemble and a good value.

If this is your first project the si18's are a great value and are less than 200 each shipped.
The lms5400 are awesome and for $925 each plus shipping they should be.
I am a fan of using the lower cost drivers to begin with and see if you need/want more.
For me it is all about the performance for the dollar.

Designing and building your own box would be the most affordable option. You would have to break out the saw and be able to work with 4x8 stock. Just depends on how comfortable you are with your wood working skills.
I prefer the flat pack option, well designed braces, easy to assemble and looks great.
For the result I get and the time and mess I save it is well worth the money.

Do plan on using an out board amp and skip the plate amp options. A pro style amp will give you way more watts for your dollar and many come with dsp built in to help you get your in room response the way you want it. The inukes are very popular and are the best value out there.

Good Luck Post pics of what you build!
I am having a hard time deciding between the Stonehenge kit with a ported 18" or going with the Dayton Audio T1504K 15" Titanic Mk 4 1000 Watt Subwoofer Kit or the Dayton Audio RS1202K 1000 Watt Dual 12" Subwoofer Kit. Being a complete newb makes me hesitant of the stonehenge kit and lean toward a prefab enclosure. Is the performance of a ported 18" going to be that much better than either one of those that I mentioned? What else would I need to purchase to go with the stonehenge option? If I go with an out board amp does the sub have to be close to the receiver? The reason I ask is because our house came prewired for a sub and it is about 10 feet away from the receiver. I was thinking I had to go with a plate amp. Am I wrong?
video1's Avatar video1 06:46 PM 07-21-2014
I'm going to build two subs for the HT. I'm leaning towards the Stonehenge flat pack. Not sure about which driver to use though.
chalugadp's Avatar chalugadp 06:51 PM 07-21-2014
Yes Stonehenge would be my vote. The DSP on the inuke alone would be enough difference to go that route. Get the si18d4 for driver.
BassThatHz's Avatar BassThatHz 07:09 PM 07-21-2014
A pair of these boxes and two HO-18's with an inuke3000DSP would be a pretty good starter.
http://www.parts-express.com/denovo-...seri--300-7079

All you need is glue, two wood clamps, a powered screwdriver and some screws.

You might even be able to pop two SI-18's in them instead (and if it don't fit, that's what a router is for...)
niktak11's Avatar niktak11 07:17 PM 07-21-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by royalstud02 View Post
I am having a hard time deciding between the Stonehenge kit with a ported 18" or going with the Dayton Audio T1504K 15" Titanic Mk 4 1000 Watt Subwoofer Kit or the Dayton Audio RS1202K 1000 Watt Dual 12" Subwoofer Kit. Being a complete newb makes me hesitant of the stonehenge kit and lean toward a prefab enclosure. Is the performance of a ported 18" going to be that much better than either one of those that I mentioned? What else would I need to purchase to go with the stonehenge option? If I go with an out board amp does the sub have to be close to the receiver? The reason I ask is because our house came prewired for a sub and it is about 10 feet away from the receiver. I was thinking I had to go with a plate amp. Am I wrong?
I'm assuming the cable they ran for the sub is an RCA...? If so you'll just need to have the amp where the cable is
royalstud02's Avatar royalstud02 08:04 PM 07-21-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by niktak11 View Post
I'm assuming the cable they ran for the sub is an RCA...? If so you'll just need to have the amp where the cable is
Yes they ran an RCA cable. Can you mount the inuke on the back of box like a plate amp?
jake515 10:16 PM 07-21-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by royalstud02 View Post
I am having a hard time deciding between the Stonehenge kit with a ported 18" or going with the Dayton Audio T1504K 15" Titanic Mk 4 1000 Watt Subwoofer Kit or the Dayton Audio RS1202K 1000 Watt Dual 12" Subwoofer Kit. Being a complete newb makes me hesitant of the stonehenge kit and lean toward a prefab enclosure. Is the performance of a ported 18" going to be that much better than either one of those that I mentioned? What else would I need to purchase to go with the stonehenge option? If I go with an out board amp does the sub have to be close to the receiver? The reason I ask is because our house came prewired for a sub and it is about 10 feet away from the receiver. I was thinking I had to go with a plate amp. Am I wrong?
If you are having doubts buying an all in one kit may be the best choice for you.
You are going to be spending some real $$ on this equipment and you need to be comfortable hooking all this up.

A pro style amp and 2 stonehenges with a 18's will mop the floor with a titanic but a titanic kit comes with instructions and someone to talk you thru hooking everything up on the phone if you get stuck.

Order the all in one kit either the titanic or dual 12 are good choices, you will love it.

Eventually you will want for some bigger and badder and this is where this forum comes in.
Up
Mobile  Desktop