matching air motion tweeter? - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 07-22-2014, 08:16 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Liked: 44
matching air motion tweeter?

Went to a Best Buy Magnolia store today and heard some Martin Logan motion 40's, can't really afford a room full of them but I fell in love with the tweeter, hoping that I can use the Dayton below to copy it but have more bass:

http://www.parts-express.com/dayton-...4-ohm--275-094

I don't know what to use on the bottom end though because I'm new to building towers and whatnot, have only done bass projects in the past. Keep looking for two 8-ohm woofers that I can run in parallel that have about 88 db sensitivity, thinking that having two would bump that up 6 db to 94 and match the tweeters. Is this the right idea? Kind of looks like I need an 800 Hz crossover at 18 db per octave if I can find some woofers. The reference 10's would probably work if nothing else assuming my strategy is correct.

Even if I do that on the towers, I don't know how I'd do the rest. I'm wanting one of these and at least two maybe four 6.5's for a center channel, and one plus a single 6.5 on each surround. That may not work worth a crap though due to the mismatched sensitivity. So what do I do on the rears and whatnot? They don't have a single midbass that has 94 db for sensitivity. Could switch to silk domes or whatever for the rear but I don't know if I will run into timbre matching issues and whatnot. Any thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 07-23-2014, 03:44 PM - Thread Starter

As a related question/explanation, I like to watch concert movies. It is aggravating because I like a big wall of full range sound for covering kick drums but my current Wharfedale towers just can't hang, they bottom out and whatnot. Yeah I need subs, which I plan to order two 18's, but I'm wanting more fast punchy bass up front. My question is can I just put subs in the towers and send them full range signals? If I use this air motion tweeter I can go down to 800 Hz, and a 12" Dayton Reference sub has a frequency response up to 1,000 and two combined should be 92 dB, with the tweeter being 94. May need some attenuation or it may be fine, I don't know for sure. I can go higher with the normal woofers but if I am just going to cross them over at 800 Hz, what's the point?
post #3 of 6 Old 07-23-2014, 06:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 728 Post(s)
Liked: 974
Have you ever designed a crossover before?

post #4 of 6 Old 07-23-2014, 09:12 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erich H View Post
Have you ever designed a crossover before?
20 years ago. The tech support guys at Parts Express acted like they could do that for me, basically I just need to pick out the drivers I want then they can help. So, I'm asking what drivers would go with a fat air motion tweet. The statement about 18 db @ 800 Hz is apparently what the original AMT's that these were copied off of used.

Last edited by corndogggy; 07-23-2014 at 09:17 PM.
post #5 of 6 Old 07-24-2014, 08:14 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 12
The freq response from PE might claim 800Hz, but trust me, for volume levels that are bottoming out your current woofers, you DO NOT want to run these that low. I'd suggest no lower than 1,500-2,000Hz. Also, not to burst your bubble of excitement, but just because this tweeter uses the same technology to make sound, does not guarantee a result similar to the sound your heard from the Martin Logan. That's not to say this is not a good tweeter and perhaps more powerful than the smaller ones in those ML's, but just diving in with some crossover parts recommended by PE or chosen from textbook values rarely leads to a great finished product. Check around, look for some good, documented projects using similar tweeters and maybe copy one.

Greg
post #6 of 6 Old 07-24-2014, 09:21 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbegland View Post
Check around, look for some good, documented projects using similar tweeters and maybe copy one.

Yeah, that seems to be the problem, I can't find any. I did however find a test of several drivers and apparently they were not consistent at all. About to give up and go with something that was designed to go together. Their new esoteric line sounds interesting, especially since the cone material would match the two ultimax 18's I just preordered.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page