Subwoofer Decision??? - AVS Forum
DIY Speakers and Subs > Subwoofer Decision???
royalstud02's Avatar royalstud02 09:20 PM 07-22-2014
I have been trying to decide on a DIY sub or manufactured sub and I have definitely decided to go with DIY or semi DIY. It turns out that I am limited on space after taking some measurements. I have about 48"Wx22"Hx21"D to work with. Unfortunately that rules out the Stonehenge which quite a few people recommended. Budget is still under $1000. The room is very large and has 16 foot ceilings and is adjoined by the kitchen and entry and has an open floor plan. An RCA cable has been prewired with the home about 10' from the receiver. I want to be able to fill the room and best as possible with one sub. It's primarily for HT. Here are some ideas I'm throwing around. I'd like to know what you guys think is my best option or maybe there is a better option out there that I haven't even considered?

1. Dayton Audio T1504K 15" Titanic Mk 4 1000 Watt Subwoofer Kit
2. Dayton Audio RS1202K 1000 Watt Dual 12" Subwoofer Kit
3. Dayton Audio 18" Reference Series HO Subwoofer and Cabinet Package. Add either the Dayton 1000W plate amp or iNUKE NU1000DSP. Or step it up to the Inuke NU3000DSP
4. Something else???

It's driving me crazy not knowing which way to go. I am open to any and all suggestions. Please help!!

jake515 09:49 PM 07-22-2014
Go with option 3. A 18 inch driver will give you plenty of displacement and will look very impressive.

Skip the plate amp and go with the inuke 3000 dsp. Yes that is a lot of power from one driver but it is not much more in cost than the 1000 and if down the road you want to add another driver you are all set. Plus sealed box sub woofers can just absorb huge amounts of power.
The dsp built into the amp will be very valuable getting the sub to sound just right in your room.
chalugadp's Avatar chalugadp 10:20 PM 07-22-2014
Pm me if you want flatpack cut for you.
video1's Avatar video1 11:38 PM 07-22-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by chalugadp View Post
Pm me if you want flatpack cut for you.
Dammit, I was just up in Vancouver a couple of weeks ago. And I had the van with me
chalugadp's Avatar chalugadp 11:52 PM 07-22-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by video1 View Post
Dammit, I was just up in Vancouver a couple of weeks ago. And I had the van with me
Come up again, go to Whistler, English bay , and then drop by with the van
video1's Avatar video1 01:11 AM 07-23-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by chalugadp View Post
Come up again, go to Whistler, English bay , and then drop by with the van
Unfortunately it's an 800 mi drive . We drive up once a year with the kids to visit the in-laws. I love Vancouver. Wife is a Canuck.
BrutalBodyShots's Avatar BrutalBodyShots 08:20 AM 07-23-2014
Sounds like you've got a huge space to fill with bass. I'm not sure you'd be satisfied with a single sealed driver considering it sounds pretty large. Your best be would probably be to have chalugadp cut you a custom flat pack with a ported design. If you were to build the enclosure to your max dimensions you'd probably land somewhere in the 9 cubic foot range for internal volume. If you went with a SI 18 you could tune it pretty damn low so for HT you'd be in good shape. I know a lot of guys run SI 18's in about 5 cubic feet... if it's possible to get away with them in 4.5 cubic feet you could even run two dual opposed in that maximum sized enclosure and would just end up with a higher tune but twice the cone area which may be an option. I'm sure a few others with more experience can chime in on whether or not that's a good idea.

Two of those drivers I believe costs around $350, the Nuke3k dsp $280, which leaves you $370 for the box which I believe would take 2 sheets of MDF and I'm not sure what chalugadp would charge for it. Something to think about though.
Up
Mobile  Desktop