sub recommendation for 3500 cu ft theater room sealed vs ported? Keep it simple :-) - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 12 Old 07-24-2014, 01:06 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 12
sub recommendation for 3500 cu ft theater room sealed vs ported? Keep it simple :-)

Without getting into some of the esoteric theory some of the experts here love to debate, can you give me some recommendations for subs for a 21 x 18 x 9.5 theater room? I don't tend to listen at ear splitting 120 db levels. I do love music - accurate music. To that end I do love my BG Radia 520's and I would love to be able to reuse them (I have 4 520's and a 220 center channel) for the theater room for now. I also love movies and all the special effects and sounds.

I may need to build a false wall to hide all the speakers for WAF and to keep my triplet 3 yr olds from destroying the drivers. So the subs can't be more than about 2 ft deep if they're forward facing.

People say ported subs are "bloated and flabby". I doubt the Stonehenge is bloated or flabby, but for my purposes would a sealed sub be a wiser choice? I love accurate, tight bass that is muscial, but I also crave that chest slam during movies.

Can someone compile a short list of ported vs sealed DIY ready to assemble subs and their recommended drivers? And list the advantages/cons of each design?

Please make it easy for a n00b like me to understand. I have no idea what a 4th order harmonic is

Thank you in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 07-24-2014, 04:08 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 565 Post(s)
Liked: 1170
you didn't like any of the suggestions in your other thread?

Listen. It's All Good.
post #3 of 12 Old 07-24-2014, 09:19 AM - Thread Starter

Well basically the choices seemed to be some sort of Marty sub or the Stonehenge.

I haven't seen any info on sealed vs ported however.

And I'm not sure what drivers will work best with each.
post #4 of 12 Old 07-24-2014, 01:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Liked: 440
I like playing my music at all volumes, and there is no home theater that I have heard yet that out-does my own for SQ or sheer output. All of my speakers are sealed, and will remain that way for the foreseeable future.

My room is 3000cuft, I have 16 subwoofers finished, and I'll be adding another 18kW's and be at 20 subwoofers hopefully before October. and then some more killowatts added during winter time.
I hope to be 100% finished V1.0 of my theater by summer-2015, that seems like a realistic target (at the moment).

Here is 8 of my subs at a low volume, some bass songs are near the end:
post #5 of 12 Old 07-24-2014, 02:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 650 Post(s)
Liked: 606
Quote:
Originally Posted by BassThatHz View Post
I like playing my music at all volumes, and there is no home theater that I have heard yet that out-does my own for SQ or sheer output. All of my speakers are sealed, and will remain that way for the foreseeable future.

My room is 3000cuft, I have 16 subwoofers finished, and I'll be adding another 18kW's and be at 20 subwoofers hopefully before October. and then some more killowatts added during winter time.
I hope to be 100% finished V1.0 of my theater by summer-2015, that seems like a realistic target (at the moment).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EdrQC9q8sjA

Can you list what those songs are especially the songs at the end? Good stuff!
post #6 of 12 Old 07-24-2014, 02:47 PM - Thread Starter

Dude, you are my bass hero! I read your thread on the building out of your room and I was amazed. Not to side track this thread, but how did you ever sound proof against all that bass - when you added the extra layer of OSB on the outside? I'm doing double rock with Green Glue, clips and channels, with Roxul mineral wool in the wall. I can't modify the exterior without going to great expense right now because the contractor is done with the outside and my wife would kill me if I asked him to redo it. I'm not thrilled about the idea of doing double walls on the interior either. So are there any other tricks I can use to cut the bass down? I don't want to be a bad neighbor.

It's hard to tell the quality of the bass over youtube. Either your mic was being overloaded by the bass or my headphones were. And with electronic music it's hard to tell how faithfully a system reproduces real music. The first track was good because it had a bass fiddle I think? But it sounded amplified, because bass fiddles don't have that much bass.

Your system sounds rock solid and is way overkill for me. My goals are to have faithful reproduction of music (both orchestral and rock/folk/pop), and a good punch in the chest for movies. Right now I think I have room for two subs to start and they need to be less than 24" deep.

I'm not sure whether to start with a ported or sealed sub. I read about Marty subs and the Stonehenge sub. What are my other options for a sealed sub?

Thanks man.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BassThatHz View Post

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EdrQC9q8sjA
post #7 of 12 Old 07-24-2014, 02:56 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 411 Post(s)
Liked: 164
If you're just looking for two subs, in that size room and with the description of your listening habits, go with two good 18" drivers like the UXL-18's in fairly large ported boxes like 2'x2'x4'
post #8 of 12 Old 07-24-2014, 03:08 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassment View Post
If you're just looking for two subs, in that size room and with the description of your listening habits, go with two good 18" drivers like the UXL-18's in fairly large ported boxes like 2'x2'x4'
So basically a Marty sub. What would be the difference be using the UXL-18 (I've read it's hard to get in touch with the company), and other drivers like the Dayton 18, etc? There's no price on the website for the UXL-18.
post #9 of 12 Old 07-24-2014, 03:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 203 Post(s)
Liked: 585
Quote:
Originally Posted by video1
(I've read it's hard to get in touch with the company)
I sent several e-mails to Mark and got timely replies. YMMV, of course.

Quote:
Originally Posted by video1
There's no price on the website for the UXL-18.
At the bottom of the UXL-18 product page:

Price - $550.00
Price includes shipping within North America (excluding Hawaii)

Last edited by eljaycanuck; 07-24-2014 at 03:45 PM.
post #10 of 12 Old 07-24-2014, 06:11 PM
AVS Special Member

The one at the end was Daft Punk - Solar Sailer, which is one of the main songs in Tron.

DJ BillyE - Beatz 4 My Van
Bass Mekanik - Moonstone
Bass Mekanik - Blufunkn
Imagine Dragons - Radioactive
Robbie Robertson - Unbound
Tracy Thorn - A to Z
Yael Naim - New Soul
Diana Krall - Peal Me a Grape
Holly Cole - I Will Wait For You
Natalie Walker - Waking Dream

I don't know what the "Serious Bass" song was, I've been trying to figure that out for 13 years... anyone know? (MTX? Bass 305?)

Last edited by BassThatHz; 07-24-2014 at 06:29 PM.
post #11 of 12 Old 07-24-2014, 06:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by video1 View Post
It's hard to tell the quality of the bass over youtube. Either your mic was being overloaded by the bass or my headphones were.
Definately both. Good thing that was only 1 watt, huh? (No joke)

Quote:
Originally Posted by video1 View Post
how did you ever sound proof against all that bass - when you added the extra layer of OSB on the outside? I'm doing double rock with Green Glue, clips and channels, with Roxul mineral wool in the wall. I can't modify the exterior without going to great expense right now because the contractor is done with the outside and my wife would kill me if I asked him to redo it. I'm not thrilled about the idea of doing double walls on the interior either. So are there any other tricks I can use to cut the bass down?
Nope. You've done pretty much all you can do! Nothing but 12 inches of solid cement could stop bass, especially 4 UXL-18's or LMS-18's or RE-18's.
post #12 of 12 Old 07-24-2014, 09:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 650 Post(s)
Liked: 606
It sounded good in here at low volume (haha, by good I mean the bass sounded about 40 db's hot!). Crazy amount of bass. If I turned it up much it started sounding distorted. Not loud enough to distort my subs so must have been the mic.

thanks for the song list, I'm off to Spotify!
Reply DIY Speakers and Subs