AVS Forum banner

Cinema 1 Special 88 build thread

3K views 32 replies 14 participants last post by  corradizo 
#1 · (Edited)
Greetings.

After much research I decided to order the Cinema 1 Special 88. I recieved the kit yesterday on the 23th of july.

I wanted to thank everyone for their input and patience along the way while I was going from SEOS-24 Radian BE all the way to Fusion 6 back to Tux 1099 and then back here.....

Anyways I wanted to share my build.

I've just glued up the cabinet, it's drying now and I wanted to get startet on the crossover.

I wasn't expecting the XO layout looking like it did on the guide. Basicly there are 2 sets of + -, one for the woofers and one for the tweeter. I can identify the parts and I've layed them out on a piece of paper, however I don't know how to connect it all:) I've looked at various pictures of the XO layout and it doesn't corrospond to the guide I have - or atleast I don't understand how to combine the 2 sets of +- into 1 set for the amp to hook up to.

I'll add pictures later, just wanted to maybe get some help with the XO:)

Regards

Claus

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
#5 ·
Looks good man, you are making some quick progress already. For the common ground on the crossover, I usually use 1 wire that all the negative points in the crossover can link to so you don't need to make too many jumper wires...you can certainly avoid that by getting all of the cross over parts as close as possible to each other, just watch out for inductor coupling, but your looks good. Are you building three of them then? I look forward to your impressions! Also, have you chosen a finish yet?

#6 ·
Everything is looking good so far from what I can see.
I built three early this year and am a big fan. Your going to love these when you get them finished.

Allow some break in time for the woofers they start off pretty stiff and go light on the stuffing. Mine sound best with about 6-8 ounces in each. Started with over a pound in there and it sounded pretty dead to my ears removing some of the poly fill cleared that right up.

#12 · (Edited)
Made some progress, in fact I'm finished with the build:)

I had help from my nearly 3 year old son, so it was a bit hectic, as he wanted to fiddle with just about everything ALL the time...talk about stress. I managed to do make the XO pictures below and it seems to work. The speaker sounds about right so I suppose the XO is working correctly.

Here are some pictures:

Now don't laugh:)

This was my first attempt at spraypainting. It worked ok, but it smelled horribly. I actually ended up sanding it all away again and using a grey paint that is very good on your health instead. Since this speaker will go behind fabric it wouldn't matter all the much, but I still like a clean looking speaker just the same.

Before putting everything together I tested the XO. Was quite stressful as my son kept wanting to touch the woofers. His silly dad showed him how the woofers vibrated in a feeble attempt to explain to him how everything worked:)

Upon nightfall I managed to get our kids sleeping and daddy went back to his late night activities assembling crossovers and mounting drivers!

Voila, the result, sorry for the dark picture:

It was just a quick hook up to the right channel and I listened to some stereo just to check if everything still worked.

Just a very rough initial impression is that it sounds good. Quite similar to the Dynaudio's in fact, but perhaps a bit clearer sounding. I'll refrain from commenting too hard at this point since it's been a long day. This speaker will function as a center speaker by the way and it was a "test" for me into DIY speakers and possibly ordering more SEOS DIY kits.

#13 ·
Before putting everything together I tested the XO. Was quite stressful as my son kept wanting to touch the woofers. His silly dad showed him how the woofers vibrated in a feeble attempt to explain to him how everything worked:)
I show my 3-year old son how things work all the time in an attempt to take away any mystery about playing with them... I regret it in nearly 100% of the cases almost immediately. Congratulations on making any progress at all in light of the circumstances.

#16 · (Edited)
I've only listened to it for a few hours. I managed to measure it as well and create a set of EQ filters for Jriver. There wasn't much to EQ, but some room modes were present and some fine tuning of an 80hx XO slope. I don't have the measurements on this computer, but can post them another time.

Since it's so new I'm reluctant to come out too quickly with a verdict. I am/was using a Dynaudio Confidence center which is quite expensive, so I wasn't expecting the Special 88 to wipe the floor with it. Considering the almost ridiculous price difference between the two the Special 88 held it's own favorably. On the first day of testing I simply put the Special 88 on top of the rack/cabinet where the Dyn Center sits. I ran it without EQ first then some quick filters. I immediately noticed a more clear and open sound. To level the playing field I actually removed the rack and positioned the Special 88 where my Dynaudio resides and put some pillows around it. Not an optimal position, which is exactly the problem with the Dynaudio setup right now, it is simply not able to perform as intended as I've installed it. To compare the two I felt it best to position it where I have the Dynaudio center. I should note, than once I'm settled on the Special 88, it will go onto the wall and behind some fabric and an AT screen infront of it. All the racks in the pictures will be removed.

In depth review will have to wait until it has more playtime, but the following clips I will leave some short comments on some scenes that incorperate center speaker action.
Hurt Locker - Barret scene. Compared to the Dynaudio in this scene, the dynamic impact of the shots are alot more impressive and they sound good, not just loud.
Transformers 3 - Optimus Prime voice is really awesome sounding. I had a friend over on testday two and we immediately noticed that Optimus' voice just sounded superb.
Avatar - Intro - first voice was quite "present" a bit overwhelming, did not sound natural. Once you switch to the scene in the cryotube, it sounded better. I found it odd, maybe the mix is like that?
Tron - Race - Very dynamic sounding, more ease to the sound and I could play this really loud without harshness. I was getting the kind of midbas impact I am searching for.
(Remind me to take notes, because I watched ALOT of clips but can't reminder:)

I though it to be generally neutral sounding, which the Dynaudio are as well, so it seemed pretty seamless with the Special 88 as center and Dyn left/right.

I won't be able to continue listening tests until a week from now, since I'm abroad working right now, which is a shame because I would rather be home watching movies!

My gut right now is, I'll be sorry that I didn't buy 3 right away!

PS: I had to to turn down the center channel 9dB to match the other speakers.

#17 ·
Just a small update. I havent had a real chance to fully evaluate it yet but it's installed in its resting place now.

I have remodelled my frontwall a bit and waiting for an AT screen. Right next to it to the left I will move two of my four rear 10" subs to complete the "baffle". The measurement below are with a quasi baffle that is just some absorbtion to. It's 9" deep and the dip around 373hz on the MLP response is SBIR I think? With the baffle it should be even better although not bad right now in terms of frequency respons. The MLP is 1/6 smoothed and then the other is average across the listening area.

#28 ·
Basicly yes.

In my room - some EQ is required. It could be placement, acoustical room issues etc. Lately I have used Dirac and the help of that is sounds absolutely wonderful. Voices are natural and everything sounds smooth.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.