• 1 Post By N8DOGG

post #1 of 8 Old 07-26-2014, 03:50 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Using Peavey IPR2 series for mains

I'm curious if anyone has used a Peavey IPR2 series amp to run their mains? I have an extra 7500 sitting doing nothing and I had the idea of having tons of power to run my mains. I first ran my iPod directly to the and and then a sony ES CD player directly to the amp. The CD player has a variable output so no need for a preamp. The CD player got way louder due to the fact that it puts out 2V. Neither got super loud though, as in over a 1000 watts of power loud. So I'm thinking I would need a preamp in there that can output several volts, like 5-8 volts.

Anyways I know there are those that think all amps sound the same, I am not one of those. With the very brief listening session I had the amp sounded thin and somewhat bright.

Anyone else try these amps and want to share their thoughts? Should they stick to powering subs?

Dan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 07-26-2014, 07:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Liked: 305
I used one to power my JTR's at one point, sounded great. It's a great idea, no reason not to!.
popalock likes this.

Blasting brown notes for 10 years and counting!

post #3 of 8 Old 07-26-2014, 10:06 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Ok great, it's good to see someone with positive results.

Dan
post #4 of 8 Old 07-27-2014, 08:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked: 375
We used my IPR7500 at the January GTG to power a half dizen different setups, all sounded great.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 8 Old 07-27-2014, 09:49 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

What were you guys using as preamps? Do you by chance know their output voltage capability?

Dan
post #6 of 8 Old 07-27-2014, 11:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked: 375
Peavey says needs 2.25V for full power at 4 ohms. I've driven mine to the clip lights using the 2V output of the minidsp as well. Most AVRs will have no trouble with this. We were using a Marantz 8801.

post #7 of 8 Old 07-27-2014, 12:38 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Well the say that the standard for CD players is 2.0v output yet when hooked up to the 7500 directly I was getting nowhere near the full output of the amp. My 6-1/2" two way was taking the power with ease when the CD player variable output was at full tilt.

The subout of my yamaha RX-V3000 is rated at 4.0v but I measured it outputting closer 9.5v I believe. I feel as though I was getting all the amp could give. The RX-V3000 main outputs are rated at 1.0v but I never measured them. When hooked up to the 7500 it would get loud but nowhere near the 2022 watts it's spec says. It wasn't much, if any, louder than the built in amp of the yammi which is rated at 100 watts. I'm looking to power a pair of SUPER inefficient magnepans that can take tons of power.

My options for a cheap preamp looks like the NAD 1130 may be a good choice. It has a high output rated at 15v and should easily be able to pull everything from the amp. Any other suggestions for high output preamp?

Dan
post #8 of 8 Old 07-27-2014, 12:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked: 187
I've used my similar Crest ProLite 2.0 to power mains, and don't recommend it. The frequency response varies with the impedance curve of the driven loudspeaker.

Great sub amps, or amps for active systems where the interactions are taken into account up front, but for mains with passive crossovers, not high-fidelity.

--
"In many cases there aren’t two sides unless one side is 'reality' and the other is 'nonsense.'" - Phil Plait

Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page