Really noob... need guide diy subwoofer. - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
Old 07-26-2014, 11:25 PM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 4
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Question Really noob... need guide diy subwoofer.

Hi everyone, I recently disassemble a logitech z313 speaker's subwoofer(wires into pieces by my pet...), after throwing away all the things in the box(amp, ac), I finally get these:

1:An 4" drive, unknown specs, even in logitech web page.
2:That black box

I know the drive is still useful, however, I am totally noob in speakers, can someone tell me what to do to diy this subwoofer?
benny10033 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 07-26-2014, 11:53 PM
AVS Special Member
 
A9X-308's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Australia; now run by adults.
Posts: 5,468
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 180 Post(s)
Liked: 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by benny10033 View Post
Hi everyone, I recently disassemble a logitech z313 speaker's subwoofer(wires into pieces by my pet...), after throwing away all the things in the box(amp, ac), I finally get these:

1:An 4" drive, unknown specs, even in logitech web page.
2:That black box

I know the drive is still useful, however, I am totally noob in speakers, can someone tell me what to do to diy this subwoofer?
You are going to need to measure the Thiele Small parameters for the driver. You may get them from Logitech, but I wouldn't hold my breath on that happening. An example of how to measure them is here. Then you need to take the T/S and plug them into a modelling program like Unibox, WinISD or Hornresp and with a few iterations and see what you can come up with in terms of output and response.

However, my advice will be to throw that little toy driver in the bin and build a proper sub from a known design and ask questions along the way to learn more if interested. If not interested in the finer details of loudspeaker design this is by far the best way.

Of course, you could just stuff it into any convenient box of 5-10L or so and hope for the best.
A9X-308 is offline  
Old 07-27-2014, 12:13 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
LTD02's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 16,852
Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 566 Post(s)
Liked: 1170
what are you hoping to accomplish here? you have a ported box and a 4" driver. are you looking for an amplifier recommendation? I'm not completely following...

Listen. It's All Good.
LTD02 is offline  
Old 07-27-2014, 02:27 AM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 4
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by LTD02 View Post
what are you hoping to accomplish here? you have a ported box and a 4" driver. are you looking for an amplifier recommendation? I'm not completely following...
Well, yeah, I have the box and the drive, but not a plug into my soundcard and plug to power. I want to diy an active sub, I know I need to buy and put something in the box.(What is/are they?)
benny10033 is offline  
Old 07-27-2014, 02:29 AM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 4
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by A9X-308 View Post
You are going to need to measure the Thiele Small parameters for the driver. You may get them from Logitech, but I wouldn't hold my breath on that happening. An example of how to measure them is here. Then you need to take the T/S and plug them into a modelling program like Unibox, WinISD or Hornresp and with a few iterations and see what you can come up with in terms of output and response.

However, my advice will be to throw that little toy driver in the bin and build a proper sub from a known design and ask questions along the way to learn more if interested. If not interested in the finer details of loudspeaker design this is by far the best way.

Of course, you could just stuff it into any convenient box of 5-10L or so and hope for the best.
But...I just went bankrupt to build my pc... Are those measuring parts expensive?
benny10033 is offline  
Old 07-27-2014, 10:01 AM
Member
 
95bat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 57
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Buying an amp to power those is probably going to be more money than buying a new set.

If you just spent your money on building a computer, save yourself the trouble and buy a new set. I doubt you'll find anything for less than the $35 those cost on amazon (with free shipping).
95bat is offline  
Old 07-27-2014, 02:08 PM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 4
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by 95bat View Post
Buying an amp to power those is probably going to be more money than buying a new set.

If you just spent your money on building a computer, save yourself the trouble and buy a new set. I doubt you'll find anything for less than the $35 those cost on amazon (with free shipping).
Thanks you guys, however, is there any suggestions?
benny10033 is offline  
 

Tags
diy , noob , subwoofer
Thread Tools


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off