Little Corner/Ceiling Mount Coax Design - AVS Forum

AVS Forum > Audio > DIY Speakers and Subs > Little Corner/Ceiling Mount Coax Design

DIY Speakers and Subs

beastaudio's Avatar beastaudio
12:02 AM Liked: 1000
post #1 of 14
07-27-2014 | Posts: 8,146
Joined: Dec 2010
So I got the bug to do a little woodworking this weekend and wanted to re-design my side surrounds to a "slightly" less profile design, whilst improving the angle of the box to aim the surrounds better. I ended up coming up with this, which wasn't my original plan, but in a 12 foot wide theater, the angle actually puts the CD firing almost dead center of the theater, which should do exactly as was intended.

Oh, and screw triangular boxes, they just aren't as fun as your traditional square box. This prototype will eventually house the Beyma coax, but this one I built out for the old Zilch designed Eminence 10" and d220ti CD combo.
Attached: 2014-07-26 17.08.13.jpg (126.2 KB)  2014-07-26 19.31.47.jpg (109.7 KB)  2014-07-26 22.41.08.jpg (68.5 KB)  2014-07-27 01.18.05.jpg (95.5 KB) 
ambesolman's Avatar ambesolman
12:46 AM Liked: 469
post #2 of 14
07-27-2014 | Posts: 3,717
Joined: Jun 2009
Subbed! Looking good so far


Sent using Tapatalk since the mobile version is still 👎
popalock's Avatar popalock
01:15 AM Liked: 903
post #3 of 14
07-27-2014 | Posts: 3,973
Joined: Jul 2009
Night owl son!!!!

Well then...rounding over the edges looks phonomenal.
Gorilla83's Avatar Gorilla83
05:37 AM Liked: 425
post #4 of 14
07-27-2014 | Posts: 3,597
Joined: Aug 2011
Did you get a hold of the CD or crossover parts? Subbed! Nice work.
beastaudio's Avatar beastaudio
07:47 AM Liked: 1000
post #5 of 14
07-28-2014 | Posts: 8,146
Joined: Dec 2010
Heck no I didn't! This will house the emminence 10 with the zilch crossover design that I currently use as a side surround, and the rear surround will go back to the stock eminence crossover with the apt50's in until I get the beyma's back.
beastaudio's Avatar beastaudio
09:10 AM Liked: 1000
post #6 of 14
07-28-2014 | Posts: 8,146
Joined: Dec 2010
Couple test pieces to work on this polyeurethane game:




Attached: 2014-07-28 11.06.48.jpg (223.7 KB)  2014-07-27 16.09.41.jpg (135.4 KB) 
Bassment's Avatar Bassment
11:46 AM Liked: 166
post #7 of 14
07-28-2014 | Posts: 905
Joined: Aug 2013
What did you do on the round-over to get the grain like that?
beastaudio's Avatar beastaudio
12:03 PM Liked: 1000
post #8 of 14
07-28-2014 | Posts: 8,146
Joined: Dec 2010
Just a good ole 1/2" roundover is all
Bassment's Avatar Bassment
12:13 PM Liked: 166
post #9 of 14
07-28-2014 | Posts: 905
Joined: Aug 2013
isn't that ply though? Why does it look like solid wood grain when you stain the round-over? Usually ply that gets rounded over looks kinda off. Did you do something special to it? Any filler or anything?
beastaudio's Avatar beastaudio
12:27 PM Liked: 1000
post #10 of 14
07-28-2014 | Posts: 8,146
Joined: Dec 2010
There were a couple spots where I used filler, and the wood is pretty junky so the layers of ply are a little jacked up, but with a really large roundover like 5/8's or 3/4", you can still get a pretty neat effect.
beastaudio's Avatar beastaudio
05:28 PM Liked: 1000
post #11 of 14
07-28-2014 | Posts: 8,146
Joined: Dec 2010
So, test panel turned out pretty good with the sanding and finishing method. What do ya think?




Attached: 2014-07-28 18.28.51.jpg (98.7 KB)  2014-07-28 18.43.32.jpg (86.5 KB) 
ambesolman's Avatar ambesolman
11:00 PM Liked: 469
post #12 of 14
07-28-2014 | Posts: 3,717
Joined: Jun 2009
Damn, that's quite a sheen! What is your sanding and finishing method?
Is that Soul Glow?
COACH2369's Avatar COACH2369
06:15 PM Liked: 80
post #13 of 14
07-30-2014 | Posts: 1,715
Joined: Nov 2004
Looks good.
beastaudio's Avatar beastaudio
09:03 PM Liked: 1000
post #14 of 14
07-30-2014 | Posts: 8,146
Joined: Dec 2010
Front Baffle is doing a little better but this wood from Lowes is (once again) garbage. I used the sanding sealer and while I feel like it helped a little with the wood pulling in the poly, there are still spots that still took it and created some craters. Regardless, here are the sides that I was testing on, and got to pretty nice finish, then the front baffle drying after 2 coats of poly. One more before bedtime and tomorrow I will hopefully be able to take the 800 grit to it and get a smooth surface to continue on with. If not, I will get it the best I can and hit another coat or two of poly and go from there.


I know, hard to really grasp what is going on there, but a reflection nonetheless


Attached: 2014-07-29 20.58.49.jpg (82.6 KB)  2014-07-30 22.57.09.jpg (90.2 KB) 
Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

Subscribe to this Thread

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3