AVS Forum banner

Mixing Sealed and Ported Subs - Bad Idea?

1K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  Axel 
#1 ·
I have currently (4) of Erich's 4cuft sealed flat packs with 18" SI drivers and (2) SVS PC13 Ultras (sealed mode) and are looking to add more woofage. I had originally planned to add (2) more of the flat packs. However, based on Erich's latest info, they may not become available again after all. Therefore I am looking for options and alternatives. I have already the (2) additional SI drivers on (pre-)order and I would like to use them.

Unfortunately, I am very limited when it comes to woodworking tools and skills. That's why I went with Erich's flat pack to begin with. Reworking Dayton flat packs (which are seemingly available) to fit SI drivers would be a bigger challenge.

I was wondering if I could mix either (2) of the Stonehenge or chalugadp's Marty flat packs into my setup. However, I have heard that mixing sealed and ported subs can create cancellation issues and can be acoustically very challenging.

You guidance is greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

_____
Axel

See less See more
#4 ·
That 2nd thread is mine. Disregard all the early issues I had when applying a high pass filter, all is blending great now with or without a HPF.

The main thing is to just keep trying different distance settings until it measures well, meaning measure the output of just the sealed subs and save that curve. Then measure the output of the ported subs and match the level to the sealed. Now, play both at the same time and you should add 3-5 db's across the bass frequencies.

Keep tweaking the distance settings of the subs until this happens and make sure you measure the other seating areas in the room to make sure the same thing is happening at those seats.

Like this:

1) the blue line is sealed subs (speakers ran as small crossed at 80hz)

2) black line is ported speakers (speakers large no subs)

3) the red line is both playing at the same time at the same volume.

My AVR has a nasty roll off when you get closer to 10hz but other than that I'm VERY happy with how everything blended. That said I don't use the subs all that much, and never for music. It's nice to have them when I want them though.

Do you have a minidsp or some other way to change the distance settings of the subs?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.