brand new to the game! - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 07-28-2014, 08:48 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 0
brand new to the game!

im looking to build my own studio and home theater speakers and subwoofers. i have some wood work experience. i currently own a table saw, impact and power drills, sander and a porter-cable 2 1/2 hp plunge router. im waiting on my jasper jig pro 200 to get here. i need some help on router bits. i need a bit for cutting perfect circles and flush mounting. a round over bit would be nice to. im not trying to get to fancy, just the basic bits i need to make my job easier. also, i bought a brand new router and i found these 2 bits in the packaging. will these be any good for what im trying to do? thank you

1). 1/2" pattern/flush trim bit
1/4" diameter shank

2). 3/4" pattern/flush trim bit
1/2" diameter shank
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20140728_113637.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	162.5 KB
ID:	184026   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20140728_113702.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	192.0 KB
ID:	184034   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20140728_113708.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	170.7 KB
ID:	184042  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 07-28-2014, 10:42 AM - Thread Starter

anybody?
post #3 of 10 Old 07-28-2014, 10:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 161
Well what are you trying to do? Build your own design from scratch? That's much more difficult and could take a while to perfect.

You looking for a pre-designed speaker that you can build and finish yourself that you know will sound good?

What are your goals? High spl? Certain size? You building subs? Any info will help
post #4 of 10 Old 07-28-2014, 11:08 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 366 Post(s)
Liked: 144
those look like really cheap bits so they probably aren't that useful. Most useful bits are a 1" cut length flush trim bit (similar to yours, but a better quality one), an upspiral bit for cutting out circles, a roundover bit for the edges of the boxes (if you don't want it to have square edges). Get all the bits with 1/2" shank.

Check out diysoundgroup.com for some really good speaker kits. Most popular ones are the 1099's, Fusion 12 tempests, and Fusion 8 Alchemy's. For subs, if you can do 4 subs or more go with Stereo integrity 18" drivers, if less than 4 look at UXL-18 from innovative sound technologies (mach5 audio).

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 10 Old 07-28-2014, 11:09 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbyrnes View Post
Well what are you trying to do? Build your own design from scratch? That's much more difficult and could take a while to perfect.

You looking for a pre-designed speaker that you can build and finish yourself that you know will sound good?

What are your goals? High spl? Certain size? You building subs? Any info will help
i plan on building high efficient bass horns and monitors. use someone elses designs. im pretty good at reading blue prints. i just need a little help with router bits. ive always used other peoples routers. this is my first router set up.
post #6 of 10 Old 07-28-2014, 11:12 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassment View Post
those look like really cheap bits so they probably aren't that useful. Most useful bits are a 1" cut length flush trim bit (similar to yours, but a better quality one), an upspiral bit for cutting out circles, a roundover bit for the edges of the boxes (if you don't want it to have square edges). Get all the bits with 1/2" shank.

Check out diysoundgroup.com for some really good speaker kits. Most popular ones are the 1099's, Fusion 12 tempests, and Fusion 8 Alchemy's. For subs, if you can do 4 subs or more go with Stereo integrity 18" drivers, if less than 4 look at UXL-18 from innovative sound technologies (mach5 audio).
MLCS makes cheap bits? thats what these bits are. same from the kit below

http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/191255139123?lpid=82
post #7 of 10 Old 07-28-2014, 11:38 AM
Advanced Member

MLCS does make cheap bits, but they make some pretty decent quality ones too though. The 3/4" bit you have is too short to flush trim speaker boxes, and the 1" one you have is long enough, but I would be worried about the 1/4" shank. I'd suggest buying one of their higher quality 1/2" shank, 1" or more cut, flush trim bits, they're only like 12.00 but it would give you a much faster and better cut for flush trimming than the ones you have I think.

Or you could probably just buy one of their bit sets instead, that's what I did. They're a really good value.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 10 Old 07-28-2014, 12:33 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassment View Post
MLCS does make cheap bits, but they make some pretty decent quality ones too though. The 3/4" bit you have is too short to flush trim speaker boxes, and the 1" one you have is long enough, but I would be worried about the 1/4" shank. I'd suggest buying one of their higher quality 1/2" shank, 1" or more cut, flush trim bits, they're only like 12.00 but it would give you a much faster and better cut for flush trimming than the ones you have I think.

Or you could probably just buy one of their bit sets instead, that's what I did. They're a really good value.
your speaking foreign language to me lol. could you send me a link to the bits you described? there's so many different types of bits. i tried googling... im lost
post #9 of 10 Old 07-28-2014, 12:41 PM - Thread Starter

so... i need bit like the ones i have circled in the picture? these are 1/2"
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	bit rim.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	54.5 KB
ID:	184266  
post #10 of 10 Old 07-28-2014, 01:24 PM
Advanced Member

I have this set http://www.mlcswoodworking.com/shops...et15piece.html

It is fairly limited with what you can do but is good enough for building speakers.

The one thing it's missing is an up-spiral bit, which will cut circles better than a straight cut. http://www.mlcswoodworking.com/shops.../bt_solid.html something like the 901, 902 or 903 would be good.

The flush trim in this set isn't super great but it works, as it's a 1" cut length.

Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page