The Exclusive 1099 - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 31Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #31 of 119 Old 08-04-2014, 09:15 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
Robert Jones II's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Charlotte, NC
Posts: 197
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtsdig View Post
Well that sure looks familiar! 😉
I like the way you made up the drawing for the wiring. I should be able to take a look at it next to the schematic tomorrow morning. Assuming it's correct, your drawing will be a great resource for people trying to figure this out! Nice job!
Yep, it's familiar. So familiar that after playing around with various layouts for an hour, I kept coming back to yours for its clean separation between inductors. Finally I gave in and decided to stop trying to reinvent the wheel. Credit was given in the diagram to you . If you can cross check it that would be great. I think there were some variations in my wiring from yours, but hopefully they'll be functionally equal. My hot glue gun comes in tomorrow, so I should be able to glue everything down and solder the components in the next day or two. Then it'll be on to the boxes. I love the process, but I can't wait to hear the monster speak.
Robert Jones II is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #32 of 119 Old 08-05-2014, 07:27 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
Robert Jones II's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Charlotte, NC
Posts: 197
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADAIR View Post
Both of the diagrams are wired in parallel. Series wiring would look like this:
Thanks for the correction Adair.
Robert Jones II is offline  
post #33 of 119 Old 08-05-2014, 09:11 AM
Advanced Member
 
dtsdig's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Rochester NY
Posts: 849
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Liked: 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Jones II View Post
Anyone have time to perform a sanity check on my mock-crossover? See attached. Left side is top of board. Right side is bottom/wire side of board. Thanks!
Robert, you have the value for "T2" incorrect. It should be 6.2uF. Can you update your picture and repost it? I think this might have been from one of the incorrect crossover diagrams that someone posted a while back when attempting to put it into electronic form.
I am going over your connections now....

Hard at work!

Last edited by dtsdig; 08-05-2014 at 09:26 AM.
dtsdig is offline  
post #34 of 119 Old 08-05-2014, 09:22 AM
Advanced Member
 
dtsdig's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Rochester NY
Posts: 849
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Liked: 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Jones II View Post
Yep, it's familiar. So familiar that after playing around with various layouts for an hour, I kept coming back to yours for its clean separation between inductors. Finally I gave in and decided to stop trying to reinvent the wheel. Credit was given in the diagram to you . If you can cross check it that would be great. I think there were some variations in my wiring from yours, but hopefully they'll be functionally equal. My hot glue gun comes in tomorrow, so I should be able to glue everything down and solder the components in the next day or two. Then it'll be on to the boxes. I love the process, but I can't wait to hear the monster speak.
Your connections are correct! Nice job with this! So nice that once you fix the value for C4 (your "T2"), I think this should be posted on Tux's original thread. This may just be the thing that helps people through the crossover fear.
Black adder likes this.
dtsdig is offline  
post #35 of 119 Old 08-05-2014, 09:25 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
Robert Jones II's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Charlotte, NC
Posts: 197
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtsdig View Post
Robert, you have the value for "T2" incorrect. It should be 6.2uF. Can you update your picture and repost it? I think this might have been from one of the incorrect crossover diagrams that someone posted a while back when attempting to put it into electronic form.
I am going over your connections now....
Great catch. Thank you. I had the part number mislabeled C4 (which is 25uF), when it should have been C5 6.2uF. The diagram in the original post has been updated.
Robert Jones II is offline  
post #36 of 119 Old 08-05-2014, 09:29 AM
Advanced Member
 
dtsdig's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Rochester NY
Posts: 849
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Liked: 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Jones II View Post
Great catch. Thank you. I had the part number mislabeled C4 (which is 25uF), when it should have been C5 6.2uF. The diagram in the original post has been updated.
Funny, I didn't notice that the C4 label was also incorrect. lol. Fix those two things and this diagram is golden!
dtsdig is offline  
post #37 of 119 Old 08-05-2014, 09:32 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
Robert Jones II's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Charlotte, NC
Posts: 197
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtsdig View Post
Your connections are correct! Nice job with this! So nice that once you fix the value for C4 (your "T2"), I think this should be posted on Tux's original thread. This may just be the thing that helps people through the crossover fear.
Fantastic! Thank you for taking the time to review this. I can't wait to start gluing and soldering - hopefully today. I think I may be able to simplify the process even further with a few companion files to go with this one. Anything that helps us first-time assemblers is a good thing Thank goodness for early pioneers - yourself included!
Robert Jones II is offline  
post #38 of 119 Old 08-05-2014, 09:36 AM
Advanced Member
 
dtsdig's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Rochester NY
Posts: 849
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Liked: 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Jones II View Post
Fantastic! Thank you for taking the time to review this. I can't wait to start gluing and soldering - hopefully today. I think I may be able to simplify the process even further with a few companion files to go with this one. Anything that helps us first-time assemblers is a good thing Thank goodness for early pioneers - yourself included!
Not a problem! I love being able to help out and encourage people where I can. I just linked your build over on Tux's master post so that more folks can see what you've put together here.
dtsdig is offline  
post #39 of 119 Old 08-05-2014, 11:08 AM
AVS Special Member
 
cw5billwade's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: GA
Posts: 1,486
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 184 Post(s)
Liked: 130
thanks I put your hard work in my build thread as well. I was going to just out right steal er borrow Dtsdig's layout anyway now I am 100% sure I will use it.
dtsdig likes this.
cw5billwade is offline  
post #40 of 119 Old 08-05-2014, 11:29 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
Robert Jones II's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Charlotte, NC
Posts: 197
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtsdig View Post
Not a problem! I love being able to help out and encourage people where I can. I just linked your build over on Tux's master post so that more folks can see what you've put together here.
Excellent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cw5billwade View Post
thanks I put your hard work in my build thread as well. I was going to just out right steal er borrow Dtsdig's layout anyway now I am 100% sure I will use it.
Anything I can do to promote stealing is A-okay with me. In fact I think there ought to be a "stolen" counter on everyone's build thread so that people can keep track of who is stealing from them. Bill, I bet the counter on your own thread would be quite high!

This community is supposed to be about audio and video, but I think that is just a facade. It is really a community of kleptomaniacs that feed off of stealing everyone else's work. Finally a place I feel right at home.
dtsdig and skipford like this.
Robert Jones II is offline  
post #41 of 119 Old 08-05-2014, 12:08 PM
Member
 
skipford's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Denton Texas
Posts: 78
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtsdig View Post
R

Hard at work!
I see soap, and bottom.
skipford is offline  
post #42 of 119 Old 08-05-2014, 12:27 PM
Advanced Member
 
dtsdig's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Rochester NY
Posts: 849
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Liked: 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by skipford View Post
I see soap, and bottom.
LOL. Not soap, sanitizer! Got to keep these things clean!
dtsdig is offline  
post #43 of 119 Old 08-06-2014, 11:23 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
Robert Jones II's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Charlotte, NC
Posts: 197
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtsdig View Post
LOL. Not soap, sanitizer! Got to keep these things clean!
I'm not even going to hazard a guess about what that statement means in relation to that picture.
Robert Jones II is offline  
post #44 of 119 Old 08-06-2014, 11:39 AM
Advanced Member
 
dtsdig's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Rochester NY
Posts: 849
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Liked: 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Jones II View Post
I'm not even going to hazard a guess about what that statement means in relation to that picture.
HAHA, yeah, I can see where this could be going. However, that is my work computer! Gotta keep the job to keep affording the speakers!
dtsdig is offline  
post #45 of 119 Old 08-06-2014, 12:29 PM
AVS Special Member
 
chalugadp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Vancouver, BC, Canada
Posts: 5,594
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1200 Post(s)
Liked: 1163
Hey mine shipped out today. Now waiting for fedex.
Black adder likes this.
chalugadp is online now  
post #46 of 119 Old 08-06-2014, 01:09 PM
AVS Special Member
 
cw5billwade's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: GA
Posts: 1,486
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 184 Post(s)
Liked: 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by chalugadp View Post
Hey mine shipped out today. Now waiting for fedex.
Me too me too
Black adder likes this.
cw5billwade is offline  
post #47 of 119 Old 08-06-2014, 06:42 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
Robert Jones II's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Charlotte, NC
Posts: 197
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked: 54
I'm feeling like a slacker. I have had my parts since the last round of shipments went out and I am nowhere near complete. I just finished wiring/soldering my first board, but I haven't had a chance to test it yet. I'm really scared to fire it up in case I didn't solder something right. I have no idea how I'd even diagnose any issues. Well, I'm drowning before I have even gotten into the water. First things first.

Congrats on your orders shipping out!
cw5billwade and chalugadp like this.
Robert Jones II is offline  
post #48 of 119 Old 08-06-2014, 07:51 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Fatshaft's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Posts: 1,466
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Liked: 233
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Jones II View Post
I'm feeling like a slacker. I have had my parts since the last round of shipments went out and I am nowhere near complete. I just finished wiring/soldering my first board, but I haven't had a chance to test it yet. I'm really scared to fire it up in case I didn't solder something right. I have no idea how I'd even diagnose any issues. Well, I'm drowning before I have even gotten into the water. First things first.

Congrats on your orders shipping out!
Hang in there...you're going forward and that's what counts...you'll know once you fire it up...don't be afraid...nothing will blow up!
Just go easy on the volume....carry on

My Build Thread
Equipment Speakers:
3x 1099's for LCR duty
4x Fusion 8's for surround duty
8x subs: 4x FTW21's and 4x SI18's
Fatshaft is online now  
post #49 of 119 Old 08-06-2014, 07:59 PM
Advanced Member
 
dtsdig's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Rochester NY
Posts: 849
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Liked: 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Jones II View Post
I'm feeling like a slacker. I have had my parts since the last round of shipments went out and I am nowhere near complete. I just finished wiring/soldering my first board, but I haven't had a chance to test it yet. I'm really scared to fire it up in case I didn't solder something right. I have no idea how I'd even diagnose any issues. Well, I'm drowning before I have even gotten into the water. First things first.

Congrats on your orders shipping out!
I've had my front kits for ~3 months! No worries, man. The work you did on the crossover diagram was awesome. If you followed that with your actual wiring, you'll be golden.
dtsdig is offline  
post #50 of 119 Old 08-06-2014, 09:46 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
Robert Jones II's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Charlotte, NC
Posts: 197
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Thanks guys.

I plugged my first board in for a test.... No sound. Ugh. Where do you even begin to diagnose no sound. I went through the wiring. Everything checked out. I gave all the wires a quick tug to see if anything was loose. Nope, everything was snug. What could it be... My receiver is brand new, though never tested since.... I don't have any speakers. My source is an old DVD player, but I didn't have a display hooked up to it (everything is just kind of strewn across the couch for this test).

Well, I finally checked the little tiny display on the DVD player and noticed that it was paused! I must have hit play twice on the unit by accident. I hit play again and - and I don't use this phrase lightly: O.M.G. The drivers came alive. At first I couldn't believe my ears... how crisp the sound was. The DVD was an old Sponge Bob Christmas special. My wife said it sounded like Sponge Bob was in the room.

Now I've never owned a great pair of speakers, so take this with a grain of salt, but even with the drivers haphazardly laying around they sounded better than any speaker I've ever owned. This is by no means my review. I still have a ways to go, i.e. two more crossovers plus the cabinets, but this has me super excited.
Erich H, cw5billwade and Boxozaxu like this.
Robert Jones II is offline  
post #51 of 119 Old 08-06-2014, 09:47 PM
AVS Special Member
 
chalugadp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Vancouver, BC, Canada
Posts: 5,594
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1200 Post(s)
Liked: 1163
You own a great pair now
Black adder likes this.
chalugadp is online now  
post #52 of 119 Old 08-07-2014, 03:03 AM
AVS Special Member
 
mbyrnes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Media, PA (outside Philly)
Posts: 3,507
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked: 182
Very rewarding when your crossover works. Wait till you get them in the cabinet!
mbyrnes is online now  
post #53 of 119 Old 08-07-2014, 08:04 AM
AVS Special Member
 
cw5billwade's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: GA
Posts: 1,486
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 184 Post(s)
Liked: 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Jones II View Post
Thanks guys.

I plugged my first board in for a test.... No sound. Ugh. Where do you even begin to diagnose no sound. I went through the wiring. Everything checked out. I gave all the wires a quick tug to see if anything was loose. Nope, everything was snug. What could it be... My receiver is brand new, though never tested since.... I don't have any speakers. My source is an old DVD player, but I didn't have a display hooked up to it (everything is just kind of strewn across the couch for this test).

Well, I finally checked the little tiny display on the DVD player and noticed that it was paused! I must have hit play twice on the unit by accident. I hit play again and - and I don't use this phrase lightly: O.M.G. The drivers came alive. At first I couldn't believe my ears... how crisp the sound was. The DVD was an old Sponge Bob Christmas special. My wife said it sounded like Sponge Bob was in the room.

Now I've never owned a great pair of speakers, so take this with a grain of salt, but even with the drivers haphazardly laying around they sounded better than any speaker I've ever owned. This is by no means my review. I still have a ways to go, i.e. two more crossovers plus the cabinets, but this has me super excited.
I am excited tooooo
cw5billwade is offline  
post #54 of 119 Old 08-07-2014, 08:31 AM
Senior Member
 
Boxozaxu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Rhode Island
Posts: 385
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked: 91
That's fantastic! Hey, we're all rooting for you. With your attention to detail I sure your build will turn out great.
Robert Jones II likes this.
Boxozaxu is offline  
post #55 of 119 Old 08-07-2014, 03:08 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
Robert Jones II's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Charlotte, NC
Posts: 197
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbyrnes View Post
Very rewarding when your crossover works. Wait till you get them in the cabinet!
Cannot wait! I left on a family trip for a long weekend, so the other two crossovers will have to wait until Monday. Darn family obligations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cw5billwade View Post
I am excited tooooo
I can't wait to see your build!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxozaxu View Post
That's fantastic! Hey, we're all rooting for you. With your attention to detail I sure your build will turn out great.
Thank you! I was able to read the crossover circuit just fine, but the little diagram I put together really helped simplify the process in my head. For the second and third crossovers it should be easy enough to just copy what I did in the first one. I'll try to post pics on Monday. The wiring/soldering is not pretty, but it is functional . I should be able to get to the box construction mid-next week.
Robert Jones II is offline  
post #56 of 119 Old 08-08-2014, 03:31 PM
Member
 
24Changer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Kannapolis,NC
Posts: 171
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 58
This is all very encouraging as I am going this route as well, thanks to TMcG. I am really looking forward to it

Creekside Stone Cinema
24Changer is offline  
post #57 of 119 Old 08-09-2014, 07:49 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Mfusick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Western MA
Posts: 24,220
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 197 Post(s)
Liked: 1016
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Jones II View Post
I had my MDF delivered yesterday. I ordered 6 sheets of 4'x8' in anticipation of also building subs and surrounds for my next projects.

For anyone that might be in North Carolina, South Carolina, Virginia, Georgia, or Florida, you might want to check out OrderOnsite.com to see if they service your area. They are a building supply company that offers free delivery in select areas. I had seen them mentioned elsewhere on the forums, but I was skeptical about using them. I figured a 6 sheet order of MDF would make for a good trial run. Well, they delivered the sheets the next day. What's more, the cost per sheet was actually ~$5 less than the big box stores. If you factor in the $60 truck delivery fee from the big box stores I saved $90... and yes this was a residential delivery. I do not have a truck, but even if I did I think I would still use them just for the convenience. The only problem with the service is that they do not give you a delivery window. I think the website says that they try to make it by 2pm, but my order arrived around 5:30pm. I work from home so that was not an issue, but it is something to be aware of.

(dts, I accidentally posted this in your thread also thinking that I was in my own. Hopefully more people will benefit)
This is cool!

Having juts bought 10 sheets last week I'm jealous! I've been chopping it all up making wifey a closet organizer. Heavy

I like to have the store rip it for me because I have trouble managing the full size sheets. One trick is to use a hand saw but make cut 1/2" bigger and then run the piece through the table saw with the fence set using the factory edge for a nice perfect guide and trimming the side I cut with the circular saw. That works good. It's an extra cut, but you'll get better results if you can do it.

Another tidbit of advice would be if you do this technique try to rip all your pieces through at the same time without adjusting the fence. Every dimension that's the same cut it all the same, or trim them all the same. That way you get identical cut pieces, which makes for a perfect box. If you measure and draw a line method one piece at a time it's never as accurate.

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
Mfusick is offline  
post #58 of 119 Old 08-13-2014, 08:52 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
Robert Jones II's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Charlotte, NC
Posts: 197
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked: 54
I had lost my camera that I was taking pictures with, but I just found it so thought I would post some progress. First, boxed parts and ports galore.





Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0377.JPG
Views:	323
Size:	57.7 KB
ID:	210969   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0373.JPG
Views:	321
Size:	57.6 KB
ID:	210977   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0369.JPG
Views:	322
Size:	96.7 KB
ID:	210985  
Robert Jones II is offline  
post #59 of 119 Old 08-13-2014, 08:55 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
Robert Jones II's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Charlotte, NC
Posts: 197
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked: 54
I lost my camera for a little bit, along with the pictures I was taking of my progress, but alas it has been found.

Box of parts and ports galore:



Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0377.JPG
Views:	316
Size:	57.7 KB
ID:	211041   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0373.JPG
Views:	442
Size:	57.6 KB
ID:	211049   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0369.JPG
Views:	312
Size:	96.7 KB
ID:	211057  
Robert Jones II is offline  
post #60 of 119 Old 08-13-2014, 08:57 PM
Member
 
SpinMonster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Colorado Springs, CO
Posts: 156
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Jones II View Post

You get a free kid with a purchase of three 1099's?
SpinMonster is offline  
Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off