External Crossover - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

Old 07-30-2014, 04:27 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 15
External Crossover

So I've ordered the 1099s but this musing isn't really specific to any one speaker model. I've been gearing up for the build process and I realized that it might be more fun to showcase the crossover by building it outside of the speaker cabinet. Maybe I'm just nerdy, but I like the look of the electronic components and think that there a pleasing amount of functional artistry going on in some of the layouts I've seen. Has anyone attempted to incorporate their crossover as a visual component to their cabinet?

I was imagining a nicely finished box with a plexi face for viewing. One could even get really fancy and tap into the standby power to run a small LED for internal backlighting or paint the components in some sort of art deco color scheme.

Here is the breakdown as I see it--mostly aesthetic, as I didn't find a lot of literature suggesting a tangible sonic difference.

Pros:
  • could look nice
  • easier to replace and/or modify
  • less vibration / heat

Cons:
  • extra work to make it look nice
  • larger due to external location
  • longer + more visible wires
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-30-2014, 04:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 338 Post(s)
Liked: 221
Quote:
Originally Posted by horfcha View Post
So I've ordered the 1099s but this musing isn't really specific to any one speaker model. I've been gearing up for the build process and I realized that it might be more fun to showcase the crossover by building it outside of the speaker cabinet. Maybe I'm just nerdy, but I like the look of the electronic components and think that there a pleasing amount of functional artistry going on in some of the layouts I've seen. Has anyone attempted to incorporate their crossover as a visual component to their cabinet?

I was imagining a nicely finished box with a plexi face for viewing. One could even get really fancy and tap into the standby power to run a small LED for internal backlighting or paint the components in some sort of art deco color scheme.

Here is the breakdown as I see it--mostly aesthetic, as I didn't find a lot of literature suggesting a tangible sonic difference.

Pros:
  • could look nice
  • less vibration / heat

Cons:
There won't be any sonic difference from just moving it outside the enclosure unless it was perhaps metres away. The idea doesn't appeal to me, bit if you like it, have at it.
Old 07-30-2014, 05:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1617 Post(s)
Liked: 1373
Definitely a little

Go for it.
Old 07-31-2014, 07:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 756 Post(s)
Liked: 650
I am doing external crossovers for my LCR, I was gonna do surrounds too but decided against the idea.

The only reason I'm doing it is to be able to go full active if I want.

Here is the back of my center channel.
Old 07-31-2014, 07:47 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Liked: 90
Why didn't you use Speakon connectors?
Old 07-31-2014, 08:17 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by horfcha View Post

Pros:
  • could look nice
  • less vibration / heat

Cons:
Visible crossovers were pretty standard fare for car audio separates back in the day. Some used plexi or wire mesh for the cover. You can still find examples by searching 'passive crossovers' on ebay. I still have an old set somewhere. Oh and I very much like the idea!