AVS Forum banner

Good DIY sub to match Paradigm Studio 20 V.5

1K views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  Bassment 
#1 ·
Greetings

As the title suggests, I am looking into a good paring for a possible DIY sub to match my Studio 20's. These are separate from my HT and are dedicated to audio listening in my home office, just for a bit of background. I also do not need anything too massive, as it is a fairly small room, so I was thinking perhaps a 10" or 12" driver should suffice.

I was originally thinking of just going with a Paradigm Sub 12 and being done with it, but I have built my own HT room as well as a few subwoofer projects in the past and would like to take on the project for something to do this summer. I would like to keep the project price at or below that of a SUB 12 (~$1,500 - $2,000). I also would need this to be a powered sub, either an in-enclosure amp or separate, as I am driving the Studio 20's with a 2-channel amp. I think I am leaning toward a all-in-one solution, meaning the amp resides within the enclosure for simplicity, but right now I am open to any and all ideas.

For now I could use some pointers to maybe similar projects or even a good driver choice to start with. I would consider the over-riding criteria, besides price, to be a good sonic match-up to the Studio 20's. I do not need tons of power or super deep bass, just looking to add a little more low end.

See less See more
#3 ·

Thanks for the response. I will look into the amp, as it seems like it might work. Any good plate amp recommendations or is a separate dedicated amp such as the Behringer the way to go?

I am also not sure on the suggested driver selection, but admit I am not up-to-date on current products, so at first glace I am wondering is the Dayton driver a good product sound wise? As I have said, my main concern will be with overall sound quality and a good marriage with my Paradigms more so than high DB output or house shaking bass. I just need to extend the Paradigm's lower end a bit, without bringing the house down with it. :)

I also am looking to do my own cabinet work, as I do have a small woodworking setup in my garage, nothing too fancy but capable of a subwoofer enclosure project. So would be interested in any plans or ideas, of course this will be dependent upon my driver choice and whether or not I incorporate a plate amp.

#4 ·
You want DSP of the inuke. Allows you to properly eq the sub,set hpf, etc. Any solid driver will give you what you want. I just picked an affordable one that fits in that cab. Building a sealed sub is a piece of cake. Six pieces the size of the one I linked and cut baffle out. Will need bracing but that talk for later.

There is no musical sub driver. You can't hear a difference between one driver or the next unless your at the limit of that drive which you won't reach based upon your stated SPL. Forget the smaller subs have tighter bass myth.

#5 ·
Yes that is a very good driver and will sound great. It's one of the best 12" you can get, is a great price, and will fit your application perfectly. You can build a simple sealed box, something like a 17" x 17" x 17" (outer dimensions) from 3/4" MDF would be perfect.

The reason chalugadp recommended the inuke is because it is the cheapest way to do it, and also the best. External amps are cheaper and better than plate amps. A comparable plate amp that would work would be this http://www.parts-express.com/bash-500s-digital-subwoofer-plate-amplifier-500w-rms--300-752

The amp he recommended also has digital EQ on it. Do you have a calibration mic? If not, it would probably be better to get http://www.amazon.com/Behringer-NU1...TF8&qid=1406820193&sr=8-1&keywords=inuke+1000 (same amp but no EQ). If your music source is a computer it's also really easy to set up free EQ with equalizer APO that is much better than the inuke EQ's.

So basically the difference is $100.00 from a plate amp to an external. You can do a fan mod on the inuke if it's near your listening position for about 5 or 6 bucks. The stock fan is pretty loud.

#6 ·
Ok, I'll have a closer look at the Dayton then, thanks for the suggestions.

Indeed, I was looking to build a sealed enclosure, so is the 2 cu ft of internal volume what I am looking for if I go with this driver? I was thinking of maybe trying something other than the standard cube shape, but haven't really committed to anything yet. I would like to finish it to match the rosewood veneer of my Studio 20's, so MDF is fine. Is 3/4" enough or should I look for something thicker like 1", or doubled 3/4" walls?

My current 2-channel setup does not have a calibration mike, so I am unsure of your statement of "Do you have a calibration mic? If not, it would probably be better to get http://www.amazon.com/Behringer-NU10...rds=inuke+1000 (same amp but no EQ)." I read this as meaning I should go with the non EQ version of the iNuke then?

My sources will include some listening via computer (using a Bluetooth adapter), a dedicated CD player (probably the majority of my current listening), a tuner, and soon to include a turntable (yeah, go figure...).

#7 ·
have you decided how you're doing the rosewood veneer? I tried to do a sub to look like my rosewood studio 10's and it ended up being orangey-brown instead of the nice rosewood lol.

3/4" walls are perfect, I'd double wall the front where the driver is mounted though.

Up to you, if you're not buying a calibratoin mic (between $60 and $100) and eq'ing then just get the non-dsp amp and save yourself 50 bucks. Eq'ing is worth it if you're up for it though.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.