• 1 Post By Samps

post #1 of 11 Old 07-31-2014, 01:51 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 95
FL/FR Medium-size Bookshelf to Team with 88 Special

Although I have yet to build the 88 Special, I think it looks like a pretty brilliant design idea. Might I interest any of the gallery and certainly the 88 designer to come up with a vertically orientated design to use as an accompanying FL/FR?

Although the other larger Fusion designs are said to be good with the 88, I can't help but be attracted to a design with an 8" woofer/SEOS-15/8" woofer vertical configuration. Or maybe SEOS-15 over two vertical 8" woofers?

Ideally, it would have a slightly smaller footprint than the Fusion-12 Tempest that would retain the high sensitivity and same CD as the 88. Yes, it would be a design that would require sub(s), but the somewhat smaller footprint would also be more friendly to built-in installations.

Very desirable about this vertical configuration would be that the woofers would also have very wide and smooth horizontal dispersion, along with the already awesome SEOS-15. Hopefully, the crossover would remain low like the 88. It seems to me that this would also be a design superior to the single woofer design of the Fusion-10.

Thoughts? Interest?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 07-31-2014, 03:00 PM

Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Wouldn't the waveguide still make the box the same width? I too would like the dual 8 footprint but that would need the eos waveguide not the seos. I don't know enough about them to tell if the seos is much better than the eos.
post #3 of 11 Old 07-31-2014, 03:12 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 182 Post(s)
Liked: 921
Fusion 8 or fusion 8 MTM dude... Or step up to 1099

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
post #4 of 11 Old 07-31-2014, 05:39 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samps View Post
Wouldn't the waveguide still make the box the same width? I too would like the dual 8 footprint but that would need the eos waveguide not the seos. I don't know enough about them to tell if the seos is much better than the eos.
I'm not knowledgable enough to know the relationship/requirement of width the wave guide to the woofer diameter. Yes, it would keep the baffle wide. It probably wouldn't look good, but how would it perform when it can cross at 950Hz?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mfusick View Post
Fusion 8 or fusion 8 MTM dude... Or step up to 1099
The Fusion 8 MTM would appear to be close to a bulls-eye. Tough to find that MTM on the site. I had to search MTM to find it. Potential problem with the Fusion 8 MTM is that it does not use the same CD as the 88.

I read here that the folks really like the 1099. There is virtually no information on the site at this time. Can somebody provide some data on the dispersion characteristics that two side by side woofers create? Traditionally, the dispersion will be wide in the axis perpendicular to center line through two woofers, and narrow in the axis through the woofers. That is why an MTM (vertical) orientation is beneficial; wider horizontal dispersion, narrower vertical. The 1099 puts the mid-ranges horizontally (as does the 88, for that matter). That typically results in lobing across the listening area. How is the 1099 overcoming this ... or is it?
post #5 of 11 Old 07-31-2014, 05:58 PM
AVS Addicted Member

The 205 compression driver and DNA360 should blend up very well - especially if the same crossover designer did them. I think Jeff Bagby did the FUSION 8 and 12 and also the 88 so you are in luck Should work perfectly together.

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
post #6 of 11 Old 07-31-2014, 06:10 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
The 205 compression driver and DNA360 should blend up very well - especially if the same crossover designer did them. I think Jeff Bagby did the FUSION 8 and 12 and also the 88 so you are in luck Should work perfectly together.
I noticed that Jeff Bagby was the designer of both, which is a plus. Tempting.

I'm actually first going to cannibalize a legacy JBL Synthesis S2C into a center channel design similar to the 88 only in a side saddle configuration to keep the woofers vertical and horn horizontal so that I retain the dispersion as much as possible. I'll see how the factory crossover and XT32 handle smoothing it out. If that becomes wanky, I'll try to clone the crossover in an external DSP and modify/customize to improve. Sounds interesting, huh?

Of course, the FL/FR will be S2Cs in their original form. I have cabinet compartments that conceal it all, so that available real estate is a driving factor, obviously.

Fusion will be next.
post #7 of 11 Old 07-31-2014, 06:31 PM
AVS Addicted Member

How about this little bad boy popping it heads out of the bushes...

http://www.diysoundgroup.com/wavegui...tower-kit.html
Samps likes this.

-

post #8 of 11 Old 07-31-2014, 07:16 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
How about this little bad boy popping it heads out of the bushes...

http://www.diysoundgroup.com/wavegui...tower-kit.html
Wow, Guy like! (for any old MXC fans out there :-D) How are you finding these? I'm looking all over the site and can't find it. Thanks for the link. That looks like a design with terrific potential!

If my Synthesis adventure doesn't pan out, these with an 88 center in my system would be awesome.

Does the Volt-10 in larger rooms work harmoniously with these LCRs?
Mfusick likes this.

Last edited by Cam Man; 07-31-2014 at 07:46 PM.
post #9 of 11 Old 07-31-2014, 08:42 PM

Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked: 30
That alchemy tower is exactly what I've been lookin for. I also did not notice that on the diysg site.
Mfusick likes this.
post #10 of 11 Old 07-31-2014, 08:47 PM
AVS Addicted Member

I'm pro

(It's new)

-

post #11 of 11 Old 08-14-2014, 09:41 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cam Man View Post
If my Synthesis adventure doesn't pan out, these with an 88 center in my system would be awesome.

The Synthesis adventure is done, and it worked out spectacularly. I'll have to do a build thread.
Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page