Forum Jump: 
 5Likes

post #1 of 37 Old 08-01-2014, 08:48 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Nabukicks "not Elusive enough for me" 3x 1099 build

The time has come for me to jump right into to DIY audio. I was one of the lucky few who were able to snatch up 3 of the last batch of 1099's a week or so ago. Lucky for me, I checked one evening, they were there but failed to pull the trigger. Next morning they were gone, but by afternoon they appeared again and I clicked as fast as I could. I was a happy camper. I had been set on Tempests throughout much of my theater build, looking forward to the time when I would need to place the order. Just a few days ago, I posed the question on whether I could save a few bucks and just go with the 10 Pures instead of Temepsts, as my room got to be more expensive than originally planned. However, after reading the Vancouver GTG results and impressions, and some self-justification that I saved a ton of money by doing 100% of the room construction myself, I told myself I could use go all in and spend more money, going with the 1099's. Isn't it funny how you can justify to your self almost anything you really want??

Anyways, these will eventually be paired up with 4 Volt 10's as surrounds, and hopefully 2x SI 18 Marty cubes. For now I will continue to use my current surrounds and a HSU vtf-15h. I am a complete beginner when it comes to soldering/XO's/wiring up speakers, but am confident that I will be able to figure it out. There are a lot of great build threads here to get help, and I trust this thread will prove helpful as well. I got home from family vacation late last night, knowing that 6 boxes awaited me. First trip to the store for supplies, and I am ready to spend most of the day today gluing up the flatpacks and starting on the XO's. These will be going behind a Seymor XD screen, so I will just be doing a basic black finish. Nothing fancy or spendy. I am considering placing uplighting on them behind the screen for some wow factor when I have guests over. That will be decided later though.

Enough typing. Time to get out and get started!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20140801_090932.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	89.3 KB
ID:	191386  
Philip Frederick and skipford like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 37 Old 08-01-2014, 08:49 AM - Thread Starter

reserved for final pic's
post #3 of 37 Old 08-01-2014, 08:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 310 Post(s)
Liked: 540
Good luck with the build. Seems a lot of people pair these with the V10 as surrounds. I approve! and excellent surround choice.
post #4 of 37 Old 08-01-2014, 09:02 AM - Thread Starter

Have you made your trip to Minnesota? I remember you mentioned a while back that you would be in town to see family, and were going to try to come to the Upper Midwest GTG.
post #5 of 37 Old 08-01-2014, 09:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 310 Post(s)
Liked: 540
We were 99% set on our plans. Had the flight picked (not booked) and everything. Then work told me they had a project they needed me on before I could ask for the time off. Literally were gonna book the time off and the flights that very day. Not really any other time will work for us so I think we're gonna put it off until next summer. Oh well.
post #6 of 37 Old 08-01-2014, 09:06 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nabukicks View Post
I am considering placing uplighting on them behind the screen for some wow factor when I have guests over. That will be decided later though.

Enough typing. Time to get out and get started!!

Ok first of all congrats! Secondly, I envy you as I am not in my budgetary position at this time to order the elusives but I SO WANT TO. Thirdly, your screen choice is no doubt a solid one and I think you should TOTALLY at least go buy some cheap LED strip lights to show those babys off behind the screen. That is totally pimp and I plan on doing the same.

I am just really looking forward to making an amazing space out of my home theater and at a fraction of the cost thanks to all of the helpful people on this forum.

Enjoy the build! Post pics so people like me can live vicariously through your experience. (not weird at all)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 37 Old 08-01-2014, 09:18 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuxedocivic View Post
We were 99% set on our plans. Had the flight picked (not booked) and everything. Then work told me they had a project they needed me on before I could ask for the time off. Literally were gonna book the time off and the flights that very day. Not really any other time will work for us so I think we're gonna put it off until next summer. Oh well.
That sound frustrating. Sorry to hear that! Hopefully it works out next year and it coincides with the 2015 GTG. It would be fun to meet the master!
post #8 of 37 Old 08-01-2014, 09:20 AM - Thread Starter

Is it generally better to glue and clamp the box? Or is it acceptable to glue and brad nail the joints? I didn't have any big clamps so I had to go buy some, but it would be nice if I could just use the nail gun and return the clamps. Thoughts?
post #9 of 37 Old 08-01-2014, 09:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 161
Brad nailer is the way to go. You don't have to wait for the glue to dry so you can just keep going.
post #10 of 37 Old 08-01-2014, 09:35 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 290 Post(s)
Liked: 405
Quote:
Is it generally better to glue and clamp the box? Or is it acceptable to glue and brad nail the joints? I didn't have any big clamps so I had to go buy some, but it would be nice if I could just use the nail gun and return the clamps. Thoughts?
Either method works. I glue and clamp. Many other glue and brad nail. I think the clamp method gives a slightly tighter joint.
Erich H likes this.

Mike Garrett, AV Science Sales Call Me: 585-671-2968
Email Me:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Brands we sell: 

Call for B-stock projectors
Stewart, Seymour, SE, SI, Falcon & many more.
RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Technology, MK Sound, BG Radia, SVS & Def Tech.
post #11 of 37 Old 08-01-2014, 10:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 835 Post(s)
Liked: 984
If angles are 90° both are same. You don't need many brads and adjust psi so nail barely goes past surface. Makes filling them super easy when its just a mm.
post #12 of 37 Old 08-01-2014, 12:10 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 290 Post(s)
Liked: 405
Quote:
Originally Posted by chalugadp View Post
If angles are 90° both are same. You don't need many brads and adjust psi so nail barely goes past surface. Makes filling them super easy when its just a mm.
If there is ever any warpage in the wood, the brad nail method may not pull the joint tight.

Mike Garrett, AV Science Sales Call Me: 585-671-2968
Email Me:

Brands we sell: 

Call for B-stock projectors
Stewart, Seymour, SE, SI, Falcon & many more.
RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Technology, MK Sound, BG Radia, SVS & Def Tech.
post #13 of 37 Old 08-01-2014, 12:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AV Science Sales 5 View Post
If there is ever any warpage in the wood, the brad nail method may not pull the joint tight.
Yup, I usually find at least once in a build I need to clamp, nail, and leave clamp on for 15 minutes.
post #14 of 37 Old 08-01-2014, 03:37 PM - Thread Starter

Got all three boxes put together and glue is drying. Flat packs were super easy to assemble. I did the order wrong on the first box, but quickly figured out what would be the quickest and easiest way to assemble them. I ended up using glue and brad nails for the sides. For the front baffle, I glued it down, put one nail in each corner to hold its placement, then put two 50# bags of cement mix I had laying around to press the baffle down. Will let dry overnight and begin to sand and fill holes tomorrow.

Quick put together a potential XO layout. Never done this before, so it could be completely wrong. If anyone with experience could let me know what they think, I would greatly appreciate it. I will cut down the board to size if everything looks OK.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20140801_123555.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	135.3 KB
ID:	192129   Click image for larger version

Name:	20140801_122851.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	227.9 KB
ID:	192137   Click image for larger version

Name:	20140801_134026.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	241.2 KB
ID:	192153   Click image for larger version

Name:	20140801_171751.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	228.0 KB
ID:	192161  
post #15 of 37 Old 08-01-2014, 03:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Looking good
post #16 of 37 Old 08-01-2014, 04:41 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked: 117
Quote:
Quick put together a potential XO layout. Never done this before, so it could be completely wrong. If anyone with experience could let me know what they think, I would greatly appreciate it. I will cut down the board to size if everything looks OK.
Great job so far and welcome to the 1099 club!
For your crossover, get those two air coils further apart and lay the one of them down. You may consider adjusting the layout a bit so everything fits and has room between. Feel free to check out my build which includes a few good crossover pics.

Enjoy!
post #17 of 37 Old 08-03-2014, 02:18 PM - Thread Starter

Frustrated...After two attempts with hooking up the XO, I feel like I am doing something wrong. As far as I can tell, things are hooked up right, but when I connect them to the speakers, something sounds off. Maybe it is just because the speakers are just sitting on my floor and not in a box. Never done this before so I don't know.

First attempt, I had all the components on one board, and copied dtsdig's layout. all the speakers had sound, but sounded very bright and harsh. Second attempt, I split up the pieces onto 3 different boards according the the woofers, mid, and CD. This time the mids had no sounds, and it still sounded bright and harsh.

Does anyone want to put these together for me?? I am getting too frustrated with this.
post #18 of 37 Old 08-03-2014, 02:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Frustrated...After two attempts with hooking up the XO, I feel like I am doing something wrong. As far as I can tell, things are hooked up right, but when I connect them to the speakers, something sounds off. Maybe it is just because the speakers are just sitting on my floor and not in a box. Never done this before so I don't know.

First attempt, I had all the components on one board, and copied dtsdig's layout. all the speakers had sound, but sounded very bright and harsh. Second attempt, I split up the pieces onto 3 different boards according the the woofers, mid, and CD. This time the mids had no sounds, and it still sounded bright and harsh.

Does anyone want to put these together for me?? I am getting too frustrated with this.
Why don't you send it to dtsdig and put in a little gift for putting it together
post #19 of 37 Old 08-03-2014, 02:41 PM

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Quote:

I found them frustrating as well. But once you get the first one done, the rest go pretty quick. Make sure you look at all the 1099 builds, most of them have good pictures to help. I just finished up with all of mine today and you will have forgotten all your frustration once you have your done.

Tux's Elusive 1099 (L/C/R)---Ascend CBM-170 SE (surrounds 9.2)---SVS PB 12 Plus---SVS PC 12 Plus---AVR Denon 4311CI---TV Vizio 70---Unraid 32TB Network Storage---Gateway SX 2370 HTPC with 120 SSD
post #20 of 37 Old 08-04-2014, 12:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked: 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCRSS View Post
I found them frustrating as well. But once you get the first one done, the rest go pretty quick. Make sure you look at all the 1099 builds, most of them have good pictures to help. I just finished up with all of mine today and you will have forgotten all your frustration once you have your done.
Do you have a build thread?

post #21 of 37 Old 08-04-2014, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cw5billwade View Post
Do you have a build thread?
I do not have a build thread. I just wanted to get them built and see how they sound. Now that I have been listening to them for 2 days, I like them a lot. The ones I have are painted in duratex but someone has offered to buy them from me already. If he will buy them I will order another 3 but this time veneer them and keep as show pieces in the living room. I also have some ideas for grills but need to verify a few things first.

Tux's Elusive 1099 (L/C/R)---Ascend CBM-170 SE (surrounds 9.2)---SVS PB 12 Plus---SVS PC 12 Plus---AVR Denon 4311CI---TV Vizio 70---Unraid 32TB Network Storage---Gateway SX 2370 HTPC with 120 SSD
post #22 of 37 Old 08-04-2014, 01:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked: 118
Quote:
I do not have a build thread. I just wanted to get them built and see how they sound. Now that I have been listening to them for 2 days, I like them a lot. The ones I have are painted in duratex but someone has offered to buy them from me already. If he will buy them I will order another 3 but this time veneer them and keep as show pieces in the living room. I also have some ideas for grills but need to verify a few things first.
Not to Hyjack but how much duratex did it take to do all 3. I see PE has in in pints and quarts now? How many coats?

post #23 of 37 Old 08-04-2014, 02:07 PM

I used less than a 1/2 gallon for all 3. I did 3 coats, with the first coat as a cover, then sanded another coat to make even, all with a foam brush, and last coat I used a 3/8 inch nap roller and that gave it a grainy texture. They look good. Not too much texture but just enough to feel rough.

post #24 of 37 Old 08-04-2014, 03:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
At a profit for u ?
post #25 of 37 Old 08-04-2014, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chalugadp View Post
At a profit for u ?
No for what I have in them.

post #26 of 37 Old 08-08-2014, 09:30 PM - Thread Starter

Got my boxes primed last night. Nothing too special, but a step nonetheless. The order was as follows: Assemble boxes, rotary sand edges, 1st coat of Bondo, rotary sand everything, 2nd Bondo coat, sand everything again, vacuum, prime. Could have had it done within a few hours if I had the time to commit it, but was spread out, one or two steps at a time.

I put together my first XO and soldered it all up. First time doing anything like this, but I think it went "OK". I went to test the speakers, and all of them worked...I'm still just not sure if they sound right. Again, I realize just having the speakers sitting on my ledge will sound different than having them in the boxes, but they still sound like something is off. Perhaps its just the difference coming from my Polk Monitor 70's, going to a SEOS which I have never heard before? There also seems to be little to no midbass, which according to reviews I though these were supposed to be strong. There was also a soft static hiss sound when there was no audio being played.

Below are pictures of front and back. Am I missing something extremely obvious? Are my expectations for "out of box" speakers just out of line and everything is likely fine? (that's my hope)

Thanks for any feedback. That's what makes this kind of stuff possible for us noobs!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20140807_193651.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	227.7 KB
ID:	203929   Click image for larger version

Name:	20140808_231525.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	162.7 KB
ID:	203937   Click image for larger version

Name:	20140808_231545 (1).jpg
Views:	79
Size:	167.8 KB
ID:	203945  
post #27 of 37 Old 08-09-2014, 02:33 AM

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Again, I realize just having the speakers sitting on my ledge will sound different than having them in the boxes, but they still sound like something is off.
You really can't judge until you have them in the boxes. Just attach a zip tie to one of the holes and drop the speakers in the box. Even if it's not tightly sealed, you should hear more of the mids and bass that was missing before.
post #28 of 37 Old 08-16-2014, 06:58 PM - Thread Starter

2 out of 3 done! Getting them in the boxes made a huge difference. So far I still only have the 2 speakers plugged in with no other speakers or subs, and have only played music off my phone through the headphone jack. Even so, they are amazing. Both acoustically and visually. My wife was sitting there shaking her head at me as I sat bout 6 feet in front of them with the volume at reference. I couldn't help it!
Should finish up the third XO and install everything tomorrow. I have a guy coming to check out/hopefully buy my Polk monitors tomorrow. If all goes as planned, I'll be placing an order for my volt 10 surrounds. Last step is to sell my HSU 15, and get 2 SI 18's before they go unavailable again. Can't wait!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	188.8 KB
ID:	215657  
Fatshaft likes this.
post #29 of 37 Old 08-16-2014, 07:20 PM

Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 39
I saw that you sanded and primed, but I did not see what you painted them with. They look too smooth in the picture to be duratex (and presumably you wouldn't do that prep work for duratex). I would like to try to achieve a smooth finish on mine, so if that's what you did I would love more info about your process.
post #30 of 37 Old 08-16-2014, 08:08 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Jones II View Post
I saw that you sanded and primed, but I did not see what you painted them with. They look too smooth in the picture to be duratex (and presumably you wouldn't do that prep work for duratex). I would like to try to achieve a smooth finish on mine, so if that's what you did I would love more info about your process.
I sanded as smooth as I could with a rotary sander. The filler I used was Bondo, so with a little effort, it sands down smoother than the wood itself in some cases. I then used a dark-tinted primer that I had left over from my theater build. Do apply it, I used a small 6" roller with 3/8" nap on it. Same process for the paint
I used Hirshfields Heavy Duty, also left over from my basement build. It is intended to be durable, hence the name Heavy Duty, but my speakers will be behind a screen anyways, so shouldn't take much wear and tear. I liked the 3/8" nap, as it gave it a little bit of texture, but nothing crazy. Just make sure you roll straight lines, and re-roll the overlaps. (I am a professional painter, so this was the easiest part of the project for me.)
Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page