Differences between MiniDSP / AntiMode / Bassis / SEQSS ? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 08-01-2014, 10:24 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Question Differences between MiniDSP / AntiMode / Bassis / SEQSS ?

So, this is an ultra-n00b post but I'm not sure I've seen a post or thread that summarises all the differences between the various non-AVR EQ options that are available.

From what I can tell we have:

- Behringer Feedback Destroyer (BFD)
- MiniDSP
- AntiMode 8033
- old-skool bassis
- Bossobass SEQSS

Am I missing any?

Going entirely from memory of what I think I've read (so the following may well be complete rubbish)...

- The BFD seems to have its lowest EQ filter as 20Hz, but I understand it's possible to boost/cut below that through some clever manipulaton.
- The MiniDSP offers full signal manipulation via PC interface - but IIRC it rolls off / is limited to 5Hz?
- The AntiMode can only cut frequencies rather than boost them? (I'm guessing from the name... lol)
- Old-skool Bassis are hard to find and a couple of hundred £/$ on ebay, therefore I think I would rule them out.
- Bosso's SEQSS looks to have the lowest and most powerful extension (flat to 2Hz or 3Hz?) but it applies a boost across the board rather than having the manipulation abilities of the MiniDSP?

Out of all of those I'm considering the MiniDSP and Bossobass SEQSS, so if my recollections detailed above are correct, it looks like a trade off between precise signal manipulation and higher power to lower frequencies?

(Oh, and I imagine cost as well - MiniDSP = cheap, I'm not sure the SEQSS will be... lol)

I think?? lol
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 08-01-2014, 11:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 17
You may want to also include the DCX2496.
post #3 of 6 Old 08-01-2014, 11:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1626 Post(s)
Liked: 1401
Missing inuke DSP amps, and my emotiva umc200 does a great job of manual peq
post #4 of 6 Old 08-01-2014, 11:30 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1780 Post(s)
Liked: 942
Also depends in which MiniDSP you are talking about. I have two 10x10HD's and they offer pretty much anything that you would want.

Mike Garrett, AV Science Sales Call Me: 585-671-2968
Email Me: Mike@AVScience.com
Brands we sell: http://avscience.com/brands/ 
Call for B-stock projectors
Sony, JVC, Stewart, Seymour, SE, SI, Falcon, DNP & more.
RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Tech., MK Sound, SVS & Def Tech, Denon, Marantz, Yamaha & MiniDSP.
post #5 of 6 Old 08-01-2014, 02:45 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Liked: 86
You can also use a PC, which will do everything any of those boxes can do and more.
post #6 of 6 Old 08-02-2014, 04:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 280 Post(s)
Liked: 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate Hansen View Post
You can also use a PC, which will do everything any of those boxes can do and more.
Nate is right! Something like JRiver would offer a great deal of flexibility for EQ'ing your setup. You could use JRiver for many other things as well ranging from movie and music streaming, active crossovers, and many other possible options as well! One day I would like to use JRiver in place of my receiver and BluRay player using my PC + JRiver as my pre/pro & source all rolled into one! Although, that is a pretty costly way of doing things as you have to spend over a grand on hardware in order to ditch the AVR and BluRay player using a PC solely for the source and pre/pro!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply DIY Speakers and Subs