1Likes
  • 1 Post By blackoper

post #1 of 8 Old 08-02-2014, 05:52 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 162 Post(s)
Liked: 811
CNC cut files ? How come no one uses them ?

Isn't it possible to zip up a cut file and then have someone take that to a shop locally ?

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 08-02-2014, 02:17 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 25
yes you can. but I'm not sure what format you are referring to as a "cut file". I think a big reason you don't see them is a lot of the DIY community here is not using cnc for their builds and that there are a ton of Cad programs out there so a lot of variety in file types.

The normal file type we use for transfer is Autocad dgn or dxf for 2d and OBJ or STL for 3d formats. These can be easily imported by the cad drawer and then they can run their cnc code generation/pathing tools/machine post-processor to get the gcode to use with their specific machine. That cut file generated by the post-processor would then only be good with that exact machine without someone making changes to formatting/M and G code usage and some of the tool management features a post processor does for the individual machine and controller type. Depending on how many lines of code that is, it could be a massive PITA. I have hand edited cnc plenty of times though.

There is a ton of variety in cad and cnc software out there. Just for me, the different software I use for programming: Autocad, Solidworks, Rhino 4.0/cam, Vectric, Procad, and I'm in the process of learning Mastercam.

Summary: 2d I prefer to import dxf or dgn files. 3d: prefer obj or stl files. Sketchup stuff can be modified for use usually without a ton of effort
Boxozaxu likes this.

Last edited by blackoper; 08-02-2014 at 02:49 PM.
post #3 of 8 Old 08-02-2014, 06:30 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

I was just thinking that wouldn't it be easier to get a kit all cut up locally with a file than have it shipped ? Especially for more complex builds like ported subs, horns and full 7.1 speaker sets.

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
post #4 of 8 Old 08-02-2014, 06:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 778 Post(s)
Liked: 946
The person who owns the CNC will usually want to charge you to do the plans himself. ( unless he's a buddy) then the price is not cheaper then shipping.
post #5 of 8 Old 08-03-2014, 12:59 AM

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by chalugadp View Post
The person who owns the CNC will usually want to charge you to do the plans himself. ( unless he's a buddy) then the price is not cheaper then shipping.
I don't know very much about CNC but I was farting around doing some google searches and came up with this website. You can either design yourself or have them design it for you and cut everything. They have a database of machinists that have these machines. Just enter you zip and you get a list. Interesting.

http://100kgarages.com/

Find a designer: http://100kgarages.com/map_fabber.php?usertype=Designer

Find a fabber: http://100kgarages.com/map_fabber.php?usertype=Fabber
post #6 of 8 Old 08-03-2014, 06:00 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

I know I can find a shop locally to do the cuts but my problem would be this community lacks any cut files.

-

post #7 of 8 Old 08-03-2014, 07:22 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 25
What is it you are wanting to make?
post #8 of 8 Old 08-03-2014, 07:40 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Not really sure. My table saw and router skills are strong Not sure I need anything, but just wondering if it would be cool idea or something that lets a project really advance ?

Complex builds like horn subs, or bigger complete speaker kits would probably get a little more traction. It's nice to get 15 sheets cut locally rather than ship big kits.

Let's assume someone wanted to build LCR + Surround and (4) ported or horn subs. That's a lot of heavy ass MDF to ship. Getting it cut locally with cut files would be cheaper I would assume.

-

Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page