39Likes

post #1 of 83 Old 08-03-2014, 07:25 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 187 Post(s)
Liked: 371
Going away party for Popalock / DIY fest GTG / Speaker listening

Yesterday we gathered together in celebration of one of our good friends @popalock leaving for a two year stint overseas. I shot out sort of a last minute (a few weeks ago) email to our 'AVS crew' to gather interest and we had 9 or so guys come over to hang out, crank some tunes, and pound out some good ol' DIY projects. It was a very buy day for us all. Here were the highlights of the day:

-Home depot run for 9 sheets of ply @6:50am plus some extras
-Dry fit and glue/nail assembly of @Sibuna 's SI24 enclosure
-Cut, sand, and dry fit 2 X popalock's SI24 boxes @ 9.5 cubes each (8 total sheets of plywood!)
-A little photoshoot session of my theater room by Mark @imagic (Thanks Mark!
-Listening to the Behringerr B215s, DIYSoundgroup Tux 1099s, Triad Platinums, DIYsoundgroup Volts (mainly outdoors), and my Yorkville U215s
-Later in the evening: firepit, beer, and cake around 10:30 PM

Thanks to all who came out. Ben @rush2049 , Steve @NWCgrad ), Matt @mbyrnes , Adam @Sibuna , Mark @imagic , Mike @mhrischuk , Dave @Reefdvr27 and of course our guest of honor Austin @popalock . I consider myself very fortunate for several reasons:
-a VERY understanding wife who permits me to host crazy events like this, on several occasions
-For having met a group group of fun guys who have become very good friends
-Having a decent space and understanding neighbors that make way for such events

Really missed not having our good buddies @beastaudio , @ChopShop1 , @JimWilson as well as our KC buddies @Archaea and @carp there yesterday. See you guys next time?

As usual due to me running around, I didn't get as much time as I would have liked to listen, but from what I did hear yesterday:

All speakers level matched. No EQ was used. Distances kept the same for all, should be within a few inchs of each other. 10 SI 18's powerd by 2 x Peavey IPR7500s and an inuke6000 used to supplement the low end. Everything crossed at 80hz. We free formed the track selection, but kept a few favorites constant for each.

Behringer B215s: Really awesome for the money. I could not build this speaker for what you can buy them for, unreal value. Played loud and clear, the way I light it. Slightly less refined than more expensive offerings, but still a very good speaker. Competitive at several times its price IMO.

DIYSoundgroup 1099s: I enjoyed these tremendously, both in my upstairs setup and my theater in the basement. Super clear and refined sounding and very efficient to boot. Level matching trims were within 2db of my U215 yorkvilles so that should tell you something. Some thought they were bright sounding but not at all to my ears. I wouldn't change a thing. Awesome, awesome job with these @tuxedocivic . Well done, one of my favorite SEOS designs so far, if not my favorite. Sounded fantastic in my treated room especially vs. upstairs. Nice job Matt on the build as well - I'm very glad you brought these. I'm thinking about buying a pair of these for the shed or possibly the Behringers to save time if needed.

Triad Platinums: The heavy hitter 'hifi speaker' of the bunch. Super detailed and clean, probably the most refined I heard all day. This is kind of the oddball of our group since it was the only non PRO/DIY design, but it was nice to hear them. Output wise they weren't quite enough to satisfy my psycho listening habits but I'm sure plenty for the sane person. Trims were a full 10db off from my U215s so they are certainly power hungry. On some of the harder rock tracks (like metallica) they started to cry uncle quite a bit sooner.

Yorkville U215s: These are my speakers and I continue to enjoy them thoroughly. We played just a few quick tracks for the group but at very high levels. I'll let others comment.

Other experiment: I recently installed my nearfield sub setup with 2 x SI18 D4s right behind my rear riser. I think this was an awesome addition not only in tactile feedback for the second row, but also in providing smooth, chest pounding bass thoroughly the room. I did find it distracting when run level matched with the front setup so I enjoy it most when set about 6db less than the front stage and crossed at 80hz. I'll be keeping this around. @beastaudio - reccomended you give it a try.

My crappy pics for the day:

A few pictures from yesterday's extravaganza. Wish I had some moments to take a few more, but I felt like I was running all over the place yesterday. I know Sibuna (Adam) and Mark took quite a few so hopefully they will pick up my slack.

Mark (imagic) doing his thing!

Crazy lighting contraption

Left to right (popalock, Sibuna, reefdiver). Looks like Ben (rush2049) peeking in on the far left also.

Popa handling some bracing

Teamwork!

Cake for Austin

Enjoying some tasty treats

Cool scrap/leftover shot after cutting Austin's 8th sheet

Austin packing up 28 baffles cuts to take overseas with him. Enjoy my friend!!
its phillip, abatsky and Boomassiv like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Gorilla83; 08-03-2014 at 07:41 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 83 Old 08-03-2014, 07:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked: 276
minchar

post #3 of 83 Old 08-03-2014, 07:30 AM
AVS Special Member

the rest

post #4 of 83 Old 08-03-2014, 08:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 310 Post(s)
Liked: 540
Awesome seeing your CNC. Sounds like you all had a great time.

I wonder if mbyrnes would do the resistor change in the 1099 after hearing it against other speakers.

The U215 always impresses me with its insane effeciency, huge woofers and unihorn mids. Seems like good performance to me. Only drawback is size, which for some isn't a drawback of course.
Mfusick and Gorilla83 like this.
post #5 of 83 Old 08-03-2014, 08:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked: 77
Looks like a great day. Also great to see a lot of GTG's occurring lately to match a face to screen names that I see everyday on this forum.

post #6 of 83 Old 08-03-2014, 08:26 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked: 827
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrapladm View Post
Looks like a great day. Also great to see a lot of GTG's occurring lately to match a face to screen names that I see everyday on this forum.
There should be a facebook page or something for everyone to join (if they want) to keep in touch and put some personalization into things. [anyone wants add me PM me] It makes the forum a fun and friendly place too. People aren't just strangers anymore. I'm jealous looking at the pics and reading about the event it looks super fun. Wish I was there.

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
post #7 of 83 Old 08-03-2014, 08:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked: 304
Looks like an awesome time! I bet everyone was drooling over the CNC LOL I know I would be.

Man I wish there were more audio guys in my area, I have met a few guys I keep in touch with but none of them have current systems setup, this city is mostly audio snobs.

Blasting brown notes for 10 years and counting!

post #8 of 83 Old 08-03-2014, 09:05 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 366 Post(s)
Liked: 144
Looks like a fun gtg. Is that maple ply you used for everything? Did you guys listen to the SI 24?

post #9 of 83 Old 08-03-2014, 10:23 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 187 Post(s)
Liked: 371
Quote:
Originally Posted by tuxedocivic View Post

I wonder if mbyrnes would do the resistor change in the 1099 after hearing it against other speakers.

The U215 always impresses me with its insane effeciency, huge woofers and unihorn mids. Seems like good performance to me. Only drawback is size, which for some isn't a drawback of course.
I think the resistor mod will depend on a couple things:

1) Most importantly, the listening environment. With a treated room and/or AT screen, the highs that would otherwise seem bright, would be perceived as far more mild.
2) Listening preferences and music selection. Listening to heavy metal is far difference than jazz or classical.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mfusick View Post
There should be a facebook page or something for everyone to join (if they want) to keep in touch and put some personalization into things. [anyone wants add me PM me] It makes the forum a fun and friendly place too. People aren't just strangers anymore. I'm jealous looking at the pics and reading about the event it looks super fun. Wish I was there.
I was thinking the same. Done! Spread the word.
https://www.facebook.com/AVSGTG

Quote:
Originally Posted by N8DOGG View Post
Looks like an awesome time! I bet everyone was drooling over the CNC LOL I know I would be.

Man I wish there were more audio guys in my area, I have met a few guys I keep in touch with but none of them have current systems setup, this city is mostly audio snobs.
See above.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassment View Post
Looks like a fun gtg. Is that maple ply you used for everything? Did you guys listen to the SI 24?
Home Depot 3/4 (actual around .71) birch ply. This stuff is hit or miss with quality, but if you get a fresh stack to pick through it's fairly decent for the price.

post #10 of 83 Old 08-03-2014, 10:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 161
Quote:
Originally Posted by tuxedocivic View Post

Tux I may do the resistor change for situations like this where I bring them to a gtg and they aren't eq'd. MCACC does a nice job in my room and I love their sound.

It wouldn't be hard to do and now I am just curious. I plan on bringing them again so I think I will. If I don't like what it does I can always remove it.

Also seeing how easy a speakons are I think I am going to change over to them. So while I have the speakers open I may as well add the resistor.
post #11 of 83 Old 08-03-2014, 11:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked: 358
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sibuna View Post

I don't even what to say about that!

Quote:
But I do know what to say about this one; nice socks Mike...

If you take yourself too seriously expect me to do the exact opposite
post #12 of 83 Old 08-03-2014, 11:06 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked: 827
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorilla83 View Post

I was thinking the same. Done! Spread the word.
https://www.facebook.com/AVSGTG
Great ! Joined Well done!
[anyone wants add me do it up, just drop me a line who you are on AVS so I can put 2 and 2 together ]

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."

Last edited by Mfusick; 08-03-2014 at 11:14 AM.
post #13 of 83 Old 08-03-2014, 11:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 669 Post(s)
Liked: 881
Geeze Andrew I feel sorry for you to have to deal with such a terrible wood shop!..lol
post #14 of 83 Old 08-03-2014, 11:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 161
His CNC machine is awesome. That was the star of the show! Lol
post #15 of 83 Old 08-03-2014, 11:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by N8DOGG View Post

These GTG's happen because of Andrew, and all of the regulars - myself included - know that.

All kidding aside... a lot of my posts are sarcastic or joking in nature, because that's who I am, but this time I'm dead serious. Andrew is one of the nicest guys you'll ever meet. Period. He's very enthusiastic and absolutely loves this hobby, and that shows every time we have one of these GTG's. He will help anyone with anything at anytime, another fact all us regulars can readily attest to. He's about as genuine as they come.

And let's not forget his wife. After all, she tolerates this nonsense on a regular basis. Incredibly gracious women for putting up with us time and time again. I assume she must be very patient by nature though. I mean, look who she married (sorry, I simply had to throw in something ).
Mfusick and NWCgrad like this.

post #16 of 83 Old 08-03-2014, 11:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 835 Post(s)
Liked: 984
Man if I had that setup in his shop I'd be in heaven.
Mfusick and Boomassiv like this.
post #17 of 83 Old 08-03-2014, 01:12 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by chalugadp View Post
Man if I had that setup in his shop I'd be in heaven.
I bet you would, your woodworking is already first rate and this setup would just take it new heights. You would have lots of time to spend on cabinet finishing and making videos that educate us all.
chalugadp likes this.

Varibus Mari Victoria
post #18 of 83 Old 08-03-2014, 01:33 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 208 Post(s)
Liked: 432
Looks like a great time! I hope someday I can get away to attend one of these as it seems you guys have all the fun. I have my regulars and it is a treat when a member comes to visit. I wish Austin good luck and enjoy.
popalock likes this.
post #19 of 83 Old 08-03-2014, 01:36 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Wish I didn't live in BFE and could attend some of these. Looks fun. Also would like to hear the B215s...or maybe not because they would have been much cheaper than the Acoustech setup I purchased lol.
post #20 of 83 Old 08-03-2014, 03:13 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Was very fun to attend and not have to do any work before hand!

Whens the next one? I hear its in Qatar?
popalock likes this.
post #21 of 83 Old 08-03-2014, 03:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Jealous, jealous, jealous !!!!!!

<Multi sub Thread

< Garage Audio !!!
post #22 of 83 Old 08-03-2014, 03:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Posted on the FB page. And Boomassiv I know all about living far away. I still plan on trying to attend one of these GTG's in the next coming years. And yet I live in Australia.
Mfusick likes this.

post #23 of 83 Old 08-03-2014, 04:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Posted on the FB page. And Boomassiv I know all about living far away. I still plan on trying to attend one of these GTG's in the next coming years. And yet I live in Australia.
If you actually make it to one of Andrews GTG's I'll buy the first round!

post #24 of 83 Old 08-03-2014, 04:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
just tie it into a site seeing trip of the USA, if you haven't been here before. Lots of stuff is close to the east coast

post #25 of 83 Old 08-03-2014, 05:02 PM
AVS Special Member

the mini G2G was fun as always. Really good to see Austin before he heads out, and its really nice as Ben said to just chill with like minded people and talk about AV stuff and not have to worry about track lists and swapping in and out speakers like crazy.

Andrews room updates will prob never end but its sounding as good as it has IMO, the added treatments really have helped out. as well as the black ceiling tiles. it LOOKS much better, not that it looked bad before. The yorks were as impressive as always, and yes Metallica at +18 is something everyone should experience. im not gonna lie it was FING LOUD, but it sounded so good. The Through the never BR is worth buying even if you don't really like Metallica, its one of the best sounding BRs i own. http://www.amazon.com/Metallica-Thro.../dp/B00GYVPJ0A

The addition of his nearfield sub is fun. He said he normally runs it -6 from the mains and it feels a lot like the DO15 i run behind my couch. however when he cranked it it was like a massage chair.

i only really listened to the speakers downstairs as i was building the box when the upstairs listing was happening

all the other speakers sounded good in Andrews room. because everything sounds good in it. I like the 1099s and the Triads more than the 215s but nothing sounded bad, both the 1099s and the Triads sounded very clean and tight, that intro track we listened to sounded great on both of them. The triads were prob a little smoother sounding but very close. the 1099s are noticeably more efficient. We ran them to ~+10 and they sounded fine, the triads started to distort badly at that level. they took all 500 watts or so from the sherbourn and didn't catch on fire. They reminded me of the other SOES offerings, Id assume this is because they all use the same horn design for the most part, i really liked them.

The triads i think are made out of lead, heaviest speaker for its size ive ever had to move

the 215s sounded very nice as well and they can take some power and produce some real volume, reminded me a lot of the sentinals. nothing bad to say about them, i didn't give them a critical listen but hard to beat for what they cost.

Big thanks to Ben and Austin who were my main 2 helpers on putting that monster box together. as well as Andrew for making it all happen. Great to see everyone again and meet some new people who share the same sickness as the rest of us
Gorilla83 likes this.

post #26 of 83 Old 08-03-2014, 05:02 PM
AVS Special Member

I was born in Oakland Cali. Then moved to Indiana when I was 6. Joined Navy at 25 and got Married to an Ozzie at 26. Been in OZ since 2008. Havent been back since because I have four children now. BUT I do plan on coming back and most likely will hit home(Indy) and the east coast for sure. Most of the guys here all seem to have very similar backgrounds as me so I am sure we would all get along.

Not a drinker since the Navy days but I could go for a few shots of Liquid Cocaine or Chocolate Cake. So I may take you up on that round.

post #27 of 83 Old 08-03-2014, 05:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Also i hooked the volts up to my little T-Amp and was playing them outside, i was going to try and get a video for people showing them playing but the 20 WPC T-amp was not up to the task, We cranked it and that was a bad idea lol

ill try to do it here this weekend if it ever stops raining. I got home and it had rained 3 inches here today :/

post #28 of 83 Old 08-03-2014, 05:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Pics from my phone
The bathroom equipment racks always makes me chuckle

Reef contemplating life

It fits

rest of them

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	0802142046.jpg
Views:	592
Size:	110.3 KB
ID:	195377   Click image for larger version

Name:	0802141812.jpg
Views:	759
Size:	342.6 KB
ID:	195385   Click image for larger version

Name:	0802141558.jpg
Views:	587
Size:	178.9 KB
ID:	195393   Click image for larger version

Name:	0802141509a.jpg
Views:	586
Size:	271.6 KB
ID:	195401   Click image for larger version

Name:	0802141509.jpg
Views:	580
Size:	265.6 KB
ID:	195409  

Click image for larger version

Name:	0802141045.jpg
Views:	579
Size:	153.5 KB
ID:	195417   Click image for larger version

Name:	0802140950a.jpg
Views:	581
Size:	203.8 KB
ID:	195425   Click image for larger version

Name:	0802140950.jpg
Views:	581
Size:	232.6 KB
ID:	195433   Click image for larger version

Name:	0802140900.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	653.1 KB
ID:	195441  

Last edited by Sibuna; 08-03-2014 at 05:16 PM.
post #29 of 83 Old 08-03-2014, 05:17 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Quote:
the mini G2G was fun as always. Really good to see Austin before he heads out, and its really nice as Ben said to just chill with like minded people and talk about AV stuff and not have to worry about track lists and swapping in and out speakers like crazy.

Andrews room updates will prob never end but its sounding as good as it has IMO, the added treatments really have helped out. as well as the black ceiling tiles. it LOOKS much better, not that it looked bad before. The yorks were as impressive as always, and yes Metallica at +18 is something everyone should experience. im not gonna lie it was FING LOUD, but it sounded so good. The Through the never BR is worth buying even if you don't really like Metallica, its one of the best sounding BRs i own. http://www.amazon.com/Metallica-Thro.../dp/B00GYVPJ0A

The addition of his nearfield sub is fun. He said he normally runs it -6 from the mains and it feels a lot like the DO15 i run behind my couch. however when he cranked it it was like a massage chair.

i only really listened to the speakers downstairs as i was building the box when the upstairs listing was happening

all the other speakers sounded good in Andrews room. because everything sounds good in it. I like the 1099s and the Triads more than the 215s but nothing sounded bad, both the 1099s and the Triads sounded very clean and tight, that intro track we listened to sounded great on both of them. The triads were prob a little smoother sounding but very close. the 1099s are noticeably more efficient. We ran them to ~+10 and they sounded fine, the triads started to distort badly at that level. they took all 500 watts or so from the sherbourn and didn't catch on fire. They reminded me of the other SOES offerings, Id assume this is because they all use the same horn design for the most part, i really liked them.

The triads i think are made out of lead, heaviest speaker for its size ive ever had to move

the 215s sounded very nice as well and they can take some power and produce some real volume, reminded me a lot of the sentinals. nothing bad to say about them, i didn't give them a critical listen but hard to beat for what they cost.

Big thanks to Ben and Austin who were my main 2 helpers on putting that monster box together. as well as Andrew for making it all happen. Great to see everyone again and meet some new people who share the same sickness as the rest of us
You are one of the few people who have heard both the sentinels (albeit the V1s) and the 1099s. From what you can recall, can you please comment a bit more on these two speakers and how they compare with each other?

Thanks
Rick
post #30 of 83 Old 08-03-2014, 05:31 PM
AVS Special Member

thats a better question for andrew I have not heard the sents in a while

Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page