• 1 Post By likelinus
  • 1 Post By action_jackson

post #1 of 11 Old 08-03-2014, 10:58 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 10
DIY subwoofer bug...cost vs. tools vs. sq/output

I recently picked up a dayton audio rss390hf diy subwoofer that was almost fully constructed when the owner decided to go a different route. I picked it up and finished the build but was slightly disappointed with its output. It is Approx 4.5 cubic foot sealed enclosure stuffed with a couple lbs of polyfil and driven with a dayton audio spa240 plate amp. The sound quality of the sub is rather fantastic it is very accurate but it just seems very underpowered. Now...I really want to do "my own" build given this 15 was pretty much given to me by the seller. I currently do not have the ability (tools/space) to cut my own made for the build but have come across some pre cut boxes parts express. You can buy an rss390ho and a 3 cubic foot enclosure for 224 dollars with free shipping...or of course upgrade to the ultimate for like 35 dollars more...two of these and an inuke1000dsp could be had for around 650. Given I have all the clamps, fasteners, plugs, and cables...could this combo be beat for 650 for sq/output for mostly movies. I am not an out and out bass head...most of the time. I just really enjoy good accurate sound quality with low enough extension to feel the explosions and such in movies...would a marty sub flat pack and si18 or dayton audio18 be better for this option for around the same price range. Anyone have any experience with either...I love the thought of duals with not that big if a foot print but would I be cut short on extension versus a ported/vented sub? Pretty new to the diy end of this forum and I am trying to catch up with the readings his section of the forum has but I figured it would be easier to start a post on it and get direct input
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 08-03-2014, 11:17 AM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 63
I would definitely go with the largest ported enclosure your room would allow, though much over 5 ft^3 is starting to cross over into a region of diminishing returns.

Here is a quick comparison of ported vs. sealed for the Dayton RSS460HO 18" driver. The ported configuration really gives an extended bottom end compared to the sealed. These were both modeled in 6 ft^3 boxes with 600W power.

You also will get improved bass response in your room with multiple subs. 2 smaller subs are usually better than just one large sub. 3 or 4 is usually sufficient to achieve smooth bass response throughout the room, IF, they are placed in appropriate positions.

Mike
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.JPG
Views:	29
Size:	120.8 KB
ID:	194921  

Last edited by mhutchins; 08-03-2014 at 11:22 AM.
post #3 of 11 Old 08-03-2014, 11:39 AM - Thread Starter

Is there a way to compare 2 sealed 15s to 1 vented 18...I see a lot of people model their enclosures using winisd but I do all my internet stuff on an ipad while I am at my current location and I have not found an app for that haha...you said 2 smaller subs ia generally better than 1 large but at the start you said you would definitely go with a larger ported enclosure so I am slightly confused...maybe I should get the best of both and see if there are marty flatbacks built for a dayton audio rss390hf seeing as I already have 1...get a second driver and call it good haha...I should be able to do my own construction once I move...but I'm not sure if I can hold out for a year ha
post #4 of 11 Old 08-03-2014, 11:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 885 Post(s)
Liked: 1011
If you need flatpacks pm me.
Choppsho likes this.
post #5 of 11 Old 08-03-2014, 12:02 PM

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Choppsho View Post
Is there a way to compare 2 sealed 15s to 1 vented 18...I see a lot of people model their enclosures using winisd but I do all my internet stuff on an ipad while I am at my current location and I have not found an app for that haha...you said 2 smaller subs ia generally better than 1 large but at the start you said you would definitely go with a larger ported enclosure so I am slightly confused...maybe I should get the best of both and see if there are marty flatbacks built for a dayton audio rss390hf seeing as I already have 1...get a second driver and call it good haha...I should be able to do my own construction once I move...but I'm not sure if I can hold out for a year ha
dayton audio spa240 plate amp - That is your first problem right there. That sub takes 500 watts RMS and Max is 1000 watts. You're powering it with less than half what it runs RMS. That's one reason why you're getting low output.
post #6 of 11 Old 08-03-2014, 12:10 PM - Thread Starter

I figured this much...but it was included in the purchase although I see most other diy sealed builds using the rss390hf-4 tend to use a 300watt bash amp...i got the enclosure driver and amp all together...I just needed to glue some bracing in, add some sealing/stuffing and then mounting of the components...

Last edited by Choppsho; 08-03-2014 at 12:17 PM.
post #7 of 11 Old 08-03-2014, 03:10 PM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Sorry for the confusion...

Bigger is better, more is better, multiple large is better than multiple small.

If you have the room, I would run 4-8 ported 18" subs in 8-12 ft^3 enclosures. But most people have neither the space nor the desire to sacrifice that much of their theater in the name of bass. I have one of the original Marty subs and the internal volume of the enclosure is over 11 ft^3. Build as many of those as you can afford and you will have great bass.

The Dayton18" 460HO and the Stereo Integrity 18" sub are very comparable. If you have the cash, there are better subwoofers than the Dayton/SI. The new Dayton Ultimax 18" sub has got a lot of people excited, but its release date is "just around the corner"... There is the UXL and most impressive is the LMS5400 but now you are spending big bucks for just the woofer

Mike
LTD02 likes this.
post #8 of 11 Old 08-04-2014, 12:21 PM - Thread Starter

Would picking up a 500 watt class d amp with added boost at 25htz be a good temporary solution until I move to a more permanent location to start some new builds...I seen parts express has a good deal on a 300 watt with boost at 30hz and a 500 watt with a boost at 25... I need to get on a desktop to install winisd and start messing around myself haha
post #9 of 11 Old 08-04-2014, 04:56 PM

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Choppsho View Post
Would picking up a 500 watt class d amp with added boost at 25htz be a good temporary solution until I move to a more permanent location to start some new builds...I seen parts express has a good deal on a 300 watt with boost at 30hz and a 500 watt with a boost at 25... I need to get on a desktop to install winisd and start messing around myself haha
Personally, I wouldn't spend $250 for a plate amp. You can pick up the iNuke 3000DSP for $279 and it gives you a much better upgrade path in the future, not to mention a sophisticated DSP that can help you with EQing for your room.

You could even wait until they have another (labor day?) $25 off $250 and get it for $250 like I did.
chalugadp likes this.

Last edited by likelinus; 08-05-2014 at 10:11 AM.
post #10 of 11 Old 08-04-2014, 05:18 PM - Thread Starter

Valid point...I am just thinking in reference to my already built enclosure with a cut out for a plate amp already in it...I believe it's 140 for the 300w with 6db boost at 30hz given the roll off of my sealed enclosure I thought it might be a cheap temporary fix until I move to a more permanent location. This old spa240 just isn't driving this sub much at all...I am afraid if I pick up an iNuke I will immediately want to build a new enclosure to get rid of the plate amp cut out...then I will realize I have a whole other channel I can tap into and then find myself ordering another 390hf haha...

http://www.parts-express.com/yung-sd...30-hz--301-510

So many decisions in the diy world!
post #11 of 11 Old 08-05-2014, 08:27 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked: 30
You could just seal the hole that the plate amp is mounted in. That would be much easier than building a new box.
Choppsho likes this.

Epson Home Cinema 3010 Projector____Paradigm 9SE MK II Main LR
Yamaha RX-V667 AVR_______________Paradigm CC-270 V.3 Center
Emotiva UPA-5 Amplifier______________Dual Stereo Integrity 18" Infinite Baffle
Sony BDP-570 Blu Ray_______________DIY Sound Group Volt 10
Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page