• 2 Post By horfcha
  • 1 Post By horfcha

post #1 of 22 Old 08-03-2014, 06:28 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Horfcha builds a couple 1099

I want this to be a resource for others as much as possible so I plan to update this and keep a detailed account of the entire process. There's so much information spread around this forum but it's not really consolidated into a guide for a recipe-follower like me.

After weeks of lurking and reading and absorbing as much as possible, I ordered two 1099 kits from diysoundgroup. The tracking numbers went out and the exceptionally packaged boxes arrived in fine shape. Already thinking how I could reuse those cool pool noodles padding the sides of the box.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1099_packaging.jpg
Views:	366
Size:	232.2 KB
ID:	195905  
djjoshuad and Erich H like this.

Last edited by horfcha; 08-03-2014 at 10:12 PM. Reason: forgot to include picture
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 Old 08-03-2014, 06:30 PM - Thread Starter

Here is my first attempt at laying out the crossover. I had to use a 4 pole terminal instead of a 2 pole since that's all they had at the store. I'll probably order a 2 pole for the finished product. Total measurements are 8"x8.5"

Does that fit within the specifications?

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	1099_crossover_layout.jpg
Views:	416
Size:	240.2 KB
ID:	195585  
post #3 of 22 Old 08-03-2014, 06:40 PM

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by horfcha View Post
Here is my first attempt at laying out the crossover. I had to use a 4 pole terminal instead of a 2 pole since that's all they had at the store. I'll probably order a 2 pole for the finished product. Total measurements are 8"x8.5"

Mine are the same dimensions but you could possible go smaller if you want.

Tux's Elusive 1099 (L/C/R)---Ascend CBM-170 SE (surrounds 9.2)---SVS PB 12 Plus---SVS PC 12 Plus---AVR Denon 4311CI---TV Vizio 70---Unraid 32TB Network Storage---Gateway SX 2370 HTPC with 120 SSD
post #4 of 22 Old 08-03-2014, 06:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 762 Post(s)
Liked: 940
If you really want it easy to follow then I suggest either putting all the how to in first post or make up a couple of pages in Word(or something similar) and then take pics and post pics. Then I and others can save the instruction pics and post in others threads when they struggle.
post #5 of 22 Old 08-03-2014, 07:03 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by chalugadp View Post
If you really want it easy to follow then I suggest either putting all the how to in first post or make up a couple of pages in Word(or something similar) and then take pics and post pics. Then I and others can save the instruction pics and post in others threads when they struggle.
That's the idea. However, I have to reach the end of the road before I can vouch for the map I make Once I'm done I'll edit the first post to consolidate the thread.
chalugadp likes this.
post #6 of 22 Old 08-04-2014, 04:29 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked: 110
Quote:

The layout looks good. The only thing I would suggest is moving that small 0.56uF cap somewhere close to the large 1.0mH inductor just because they are in parallel with eachother and it will make for less wiring on the bottom side.
Congrats on your 1099 purchases!
post #7 of 22 Old 08-09-2014, 09:38 PM - Thread Starter

Okay I made a few changes and mounted up the XOs. I chose to use zip ties and mounting putty to secure all of the components.

As you can see I like drilling holes.

I abstained from hot glue since it's more permanent and questionably bad for the electronics to heat up? I moved the small .56uf cap as you suggested dtsdig, although I didn't measure my spacing perfectly and a couple of the components ended up squished together.

I bought some threaded brass wood inserts and machine screws so that I can remove the boards if necessary. I read somewhere that nearby ferrous metals could impact the inductance. Hopefully the barrier strips don't have too much of an effect.

Next up is soldering tonight and then box building tomorrow!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	xo-board.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	144.7 KB
ID:	205953   Click image for larger version

Name:	mounted-xo.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	205.9 KB
ID:	205961  
post #8 of 22 Old 08-10-2014, 08:35 AM

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Nice job. What was your finally dimension of the board after all the adjustments? I bought some plastic spacers at home depot, glued them to bottom of board and screwed through the board to cab through the spacer. I like your idea with the brass.

Tux's Elusive 1099 (L/C/R)---Ascend CBM-170 SE (surrounds 9.2)---SVS PB 12 Plus---SVS PC 12 Plus---AVR Denon 4311CI---TV Vizio 70---Unraid 32TB Network Storage---Gateway SX 2370 HTPC with 120 SSD
post #9 of 22 Old 08-10-2014, 08:45 AM - Thread Starter

Final dimensions are 7.5" x 8.5"

I bought some pine board that I will glue into the MDF where I intend to mount the crossover. The pine will hold the brass inserts a lot better than MDF (or so the carpenter who sold me them says).
post #10 of 22 Old 08-10-2014, 10:58 PM - Thread Starter

Well the crossovers are gonna have to get soldered later this week. No rush though. Life is best when you learn to appreciate the process

Here are the cuts (left to right in the thumbnail) intending to produce 2 speaker cabinets:
(8) 11.5" x 13.25" top/bottom/internal braces
(2) 1099 baffles included with kit -- thanks, diysoundgroup!
(4) 36.25" x 13" sides
(1) pineboard for making crossover mounts
(2) 36.25" x 12.5" backs

The cuts were all made from one 4'x8' sheet of 3/4" MDF. The internal braces are over-sized on three sides to accommodate for the 1/4" depth of the dado (the four trenches you see cut into the back and side pieces). The baffle will just butt-join since using dado joints up front looked a little sketchy. Having a table saw and a generous friend who is familiar with its operation really made this possible. If I was left to a circular saw and my own limited wits, I should have / would have ordered the flatpacks.

We started to dry fit, but the dados were so tight that it probably wouldn't come apart again. Next weekend, I'll just glue and cross my fingers, I suppose. Hopefully I'll be able to validate my cuts with a picture of a complete box.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	post-cut-full.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	107.0 KB
ID:	207113  
post #11 of 22 Old 08-10-2014, 11:23 PM
AVS Special Member

To get good dado fit from where you are just take 120-150 grit sandpaper block and sand edge of piece going into the dado. Hold block on about a 70° angle and only sand both edges for about 10 seconds. Then test. A good dado fit is it slides in all the way, and turned upside down the wood just holds in place. Should've able to take it out with one hand easily.
post #12 of 22 Old 08-11-2014, 07:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked: 118
Quote:
Okay I made a few changes and mounted up the XOs. I chose to use zip ties and mounting putty to secure all of the components.
Mounting Putty what is that?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #13 of 22 Old 08-11-2014, 08:40 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked: 110
Quote:

As you can see I like drilling holes.

I abstained from hot glue since it's more permanent and questionably bad for the electronics to heat up? I moved the small .56uf cap as you suggested dtsdig, although I didn't measure my spacing perfectly and a couple of the components ended up squished together.

I bought some threaded brass wood inserts and machine screws so that I can remove the boards if necessary. I read somewhere that nearby ferrous metals could impact the inductance. Hopefully the barrier strips don't have too much of an effect.

Next up is soldering tonight and then box building tomorrow!
Final layout looks great, nice and clean. Electronic components can take loads of heat in most cases. Just look up circuit board populating No worries there. Using hot glue would have no effect on anything. As long as everything is tied down, you'll be fine. Also, no need to worry about your standoffs affecting anything. This is all (relatively) low frequency stuff.

post #14 of 22 Old 08-11-2014, 08:46 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
yep,Hold block on about a 70° angle and only sand both edges for about 10 seconds. Then test. A good dado fit is it slides in all the way, and turned upside down the wood just holds in place. Should've able to take it out with one[IMG]http://*******/xp1ekA[/IMG] hand easily.
post #15 of 22 Old 08-11-2014, 09:31 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cw5billwade View Post
Mounting Putty what is that?
It's the rubbery gunk used to put up posters of Scarface and bikini babes in your dorm room. The blue stuff is better supposedly, and available at most stores that sell office/school supplies.
post #16 of 22 Old 08-11-2014, 09:36 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtsdig View Post
Final layout looks great, nice and clean. Electronic components can take loads of heat in most cases. Just look up circuit board populating No worries there. Using hot glue would have no effect on anything. As long as everything is tied down, you'll be fine. Also, no need to worry about your standoffs affecting anything. This is all (relatively) low frequency stuff.
Thanks for the reassurance. I read this and got scared: http://www.troelsgravesen.dk/coils.htm . I guess that's sitting on a thick solid disk of aluminum, not just a couples screws or terminals.
post #17 of 22 Old 08-12-2014, 11:16 PM - Thread Starter

I got one of my crossovers soldered up and it looks like an awful mess. But...I hooked it up and sound came out! Hopefully as long as the speakers are all firing and the sound is mostly natural (a little tinny due to free-air, of course), I don't need to tear it apart. I don't have a DMM, but is there any other good way to test my work?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	soldered-xo.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	492.0 KB
ID:	209953   Click image for larger version

Name:	testing-xo.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	468.4 KB
ID:	209961  
post #18 of 22 Old 08-12-2014, 11:57 PM
AVS Special Member

The mids feel like toys don't they. Amazing they sound so good.
post #19 of 22 Old 08-13-2014, 05:22 PM

Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
I got one of my crossovers soldered up and it looks like an awful mess. But...I hooked it up and sound came out!
I was kind of surprised how terrible the wires on my crossover looked, especially after I had put together such a nice wiring diagram for myself. Oh well, at least they're functional! I need to post some pictures in my thread... as soon as I figure out where I hid my camera?
post #20 of 22 Old 08-13-2014, 05:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked: 142
They'll look perfect once in the cabs

Equipment Speakers:
3x 1099's for LCR duty
4x Fusion 8's for surround duty
8x subs: 4x FTW21's and 4x SI18's
post #21 of 22 Old 08-13-2014, 05:56 PM

Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatshaft View Post
They'll look perfect once in the cabs