Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 08-04-2014, 03:33 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Ribbon and Planar DIY design question/s

Hi All,
Going to convert my bonus room to a HT, and instead of purchasing the speakers, I was toying with the idea of building them myself - to some degree. The bottom end (<80Hz) will be 2x 18" in a vented dedicated subwoofer enclosures. The eq. for the subs will be handled by the receiver. Pretty sure I want to do V10 Volts (DIYSG) for the surrounds/heights and for the 3 mains I was thinking (per enclosure):
2x 10" ported for lower/mid (not sure yet - maybe Eminence Delta-10As to help match the V10 surrounds?)
1x Bohlender Graebener Neo10 Planar for upper/mid
1x Aurum Cantus G2 Ribbon for the highs

Anyone have experience with both Planars and Ribbons in the same speaker design?
Also, would this XO suffice for the main speaker design?
Dayton Audio XO3W-700/5.6K 3-Way Speaker Crossover 700/5,600 Hz

The ribbon would get >5,600, planar would get 700 - 5,600, the 10"s would get 80 - 700, and the SWs would get <80.
Thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 08-04-2014, 04:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 280 Post(s)
Liked: 172
If you are spending the money for drivers of this caliber then please don't go with a pre-made crossover because that will Severely limit the sound quality. Crossovers are complex, and if you lack the ability to design your own, then try doing some research and/or find someone to build one for you. It takes many hours of design time for even an experienced crossover designer. What ever you do, don't use a pre-made crossover!
post #3 of 10 Old 08-04-2014, 04:58 PM

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I had wanted to use my existing Bohlender Graebner 520's for my HT, but it seems the general consensus here was that the dispersion pattern of these line source drivers would be wrong for HT.

Now with that in mind, I had these same speakers in a very informal ad hoc HT with no sound treatments at all. They were driven by my 245 watt/ch ATI 1505, and I had no problem playing them loud enough for a good HT experience. OTOH I had them positioned so that my wife and I were in the sweet spot. I have no idea if they would work as well with multi row seating 4 across.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Espazito View Post
Hi All,
Going to convert my bonus room to a HT, and instead of purchasing the speakers, I was toying with the idea of building them myself - to some degree. The bottom end (<80Hz) will be 2x 18" in a vented dedicated subwoofer enclosures. The eq. for the subs will be handled by the receiver. Pretty sure I want to do V10 Volts (DIYSG) for the surrounds/heights and for the 3 mains I was thinking (per enclosure):
2x 10" ported for lower/mid (not sure yet - maybe Eminence Delta-10As to help match the V10 surrounds?)
1x Bohlender Graebener Neo10 Planar for upper/mid
1x Aurum Cantus G2 Ribbon for the highs

Anyone have experience with both Planars and Ribbons in the same speaker design?
Also, would this XO suffice for the main speaker design?
Dayton Audio XO3W-700/5.6K 3-Way Speaker Crossover 700/5,600 Hz

The ribbon would get >5,600, planar would get 700 - 5,600, the 10"s would get 80 - 700, and the SWs would get <80.
Thoughts?
post #4 of 10 Old 08-13-2014, 05:37 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you folks for the useful feedback!
Off the shelf XO's and Planar upper/mids are out.
Now back to the discovery phase...
post #5 of 10 Old 08-13-2014, 07:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 485 Post(s)
Liked: 627
If you do find a way to design a XO properly (and I whole heatedly agree with Marty on that) planars are very nice. They have their problems, but the few horn loaded planar a available correct for those limitations IMO. They sound extremely clean when done right. Almost boring because they're so un-colored.

Last edited by tuxedocivic; 08-14-2014 at 08:20 AM.
post #6 of 10 Old 08-13-2014, 10:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Neo 10 is one of the finest midrange drivers I've ever heard so I wouldn't hesitate to design around it. Expensive but anything worthwhile usually is. Such a driver would allow you to cross high to a ribbon tweeter. Above 3.5khz, most well made ribbons are the best high frequency drivers period. Neither are line source specific drivers but do have limited vertical response......and that's not neccessarily a bad thing once you think about floor and ceiling reflections as well as destructive interference between vertical drivers.

Waveguide/horns are certainly a more simple approach and for a high output home theater might be the more practical solution but certainly NOT empirically better. A three way design is certainly daunting even for the most accomplished DIYer. Aurum Cantus now has some drivers capable of crossing over as low as 1khz with respectable efficiency and some of the best CSA measurements I've ever seen.
post #7 of 10 Old 08-14-2014, 12:16 AM

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 12
So why do I have people here telling me that my Bohlender Graebner 520's are not good enough for a dedicated HT? The reason I like them so much is precisely because they're so neutral and clean sounding.
post #8 of 10 Old 08-14-2014, 02:32 AM

Liked: 14
The 520 is really a very different animal from the neo8/10. Kind of like a tiger to a domestic housecat. The 520 dispersion pattern is much different and the imaging as well. Some of the best imaging I have ever heard was from a set of Neo10s. Dan Neubrecker's Echelon. While the 520 gives a wide, space sound (do it is bipole radiation pattern) the imaging will suffer as a result. In HT, imaging is seen as more important. The ability to pinpoint sound in its proper place.
post #9 of 10 Old 08-19-2014, 12:04 PM - Thread Starter

Perhaps I just pursue something like this for theater front stage duty, if/when available:
http://www.diysoundgroup.com/home-th...-preorder.html

Then maybe a pair of B&W towers for music.
post #10 of 10 Old 08-19-2014, 01:19 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 388 Post(s)
Liked: 154
The 1099 will smoke B&W towers unless you're looking at the $8000.00 800 series
Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page