Forum Jump: 
 68Likes

Old 08-14-2014, 07:57 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 336 Post(s)
Liked: 77
I was thinking about picking up a outlaw mono amp, anyone heard one of those or have any idea how they would compare to one of the crowns?

Last edited by lemonslush; 08-14-2014 at 09:14 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-14-2014, 09:16 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by mobeer4don View Post
Found this just before posting a question on how to mod those binding posts. Have not tried on my X1000 but it looks good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1db0B0Jl6z0
I was able to just stick the banana plugs through the hole where the speaker wire would go when you unscrew the binding posts. Then tightened the posts a bit to keep then extra snug. They fit great and no mod. Basically they enter the binding post vertically. Has anyone else tried this?
Old 08-14-2014, 10:44 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I put my banana plugs in the same way. The vertical placement works perfectly. Just make sure you remember to tighten the posts back up. You do that and you got a really tight connection. Today, I'll be putting in my barely used Onkyo 805 Receiver and moving components around in my credenza. Hopefully, there will be no buzzing in the speakers. Fingers Crossed. Btw, any secrets to stopping the buzz, I'd be glad to know.
Old 08-14-2014, 12:53 PM

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Would this little guy work for a infinity 1262w build? Sealed? Ported?
Old 08-14-2014, 02:51 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 294 Post(s)
Liked: 417
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrutalBodyShots View Post
Hey guys this is probably a stupid question, but it's coming from a guy that's never used an external amp to drive my speakers. I've always just relied on my AVR. I have a Denon X2000 which I believe is rated at 95W/channel. I used to have a Marantz AVR that died on me that was rated a bit higher, perhaps 115W/channel. I've had the same Cambridge Soundworks MC500 speakers for a decade now that I am happy with; they are a decent product before their company really went downhill a few years later. They are rated up to 150W I believe, although I've long lost the paperwork/specs on them. When I switched AVR's earlier this year while the overall clarity is better out of the Denon (compared to a 10 year old Marantz) I definitely wasn't getting the same loudness from my speakers. I have to crank the volume up quite a bit higher with the new AVR to achieve the same level of sound.

Would the $99 Crown in this thread linked above be beneficial to me to drive a pair of my MC500's? Someone else stated above that eliminating 2 channels of amp usage from the AVR could possibly free up juice to the other speakers, so maybe my center channel (identical speaker) would get a little more love then from the AVR amp?

Just wondering your opinions on this... if this $99 upgrade would possibly allow me to get a little more out of the front sound stage. Thanks everyone.
Doesn't look like anyone ever answered this but your Denon X2000 doesn't have any preouts for the front channels, only Zone 2. So the Crown X1000 would be of no use to you.

Afro GT
Old 08-14-2014, 04:08 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronlinkous View Post
Would this little guy work for a infinity 1262w build? Sealed? Ported?
You could run it bridged with the voice coils running in series to give it 600w with an 8ohm load.

You could not run it with the voice coils in parallel though because this would result in a 2ohm load and the amp is not rated for that much current.

Another option would be two 1260w, which would give you 300w per speaker in stereo mode.
aaronlinkous likes this.

Epson Home Cinema 3010 Projector____Paradigm 9SE MK II Main LR
Yamaha RX-V667 AVR_______________Paradigm CC-270 V.3 Center
Emotiva UPA-5 Amplifier______________Dual Stereo Integrity 18" Infinite Baffle
Sony BDP-570 Blu Ray_______________DIY Sound Group Volt 10
Old 08-14-2014, 06:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaranddeeman View Post
I must say that I never knew my speakers (JBL E60) sounded like this before. They were connected to the AV receiver all along, but first time to an amp as standalone.
I could not go above #1 on the gain controls (else my ears would burst).
Not sure how they will sound when I add this amp for my Fronts from the receiver..
Overall I have no complains.
Now if only my second amp ships..
Aa ha. My second one shipped today (that was ordered on 8/12).
Old 08-14-2014, 11:31 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by afrogt View Post
Doesn't look like anyone ever answered this but your Denon X2000 doesn't have any preouts for the front channels, only Zone 2. So the Crown X1000 would be of no use to you.
That sucks... is there any other way to hook it up without a preout? What are XLS inputs?
Old 08-15-2014, 12:05 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 566 Post(s)
Liked: 1170
after reviewing the manual, I couldn't figure out if there was a way to send the mains output out through the 'zone 2' pre-outs.

but, figuring that such a thing exists, I searched on 'speaker level to line level converter' and found this:

http://www.amazon.com/PAC-SNI35-Adju.../ref=pd_cp_e_0

so just plug it into the speaker level outputs on the avr then the pre-outs into the external amplifier.

Listen. It's All Good.
Old 08-15-2014, 06:40 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTD02 View Post
after reviewing the manual, I couldn't figure out if there was a way to send the mains output out through the 'zone 2' pre-outs.

but, figuring that such a thing exists, I searched on 'speaker level to line level converter' and found this:

so just plug it into the speaker level outputs on the avr then the pre-outs into the external amplifier.
Nice find LTD02. I don't suppose there would be any quality loss using that adapter, would there? Thanks!
Old 08-15-2014, 01:26 PM

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by action_jackson View Post
You could run it bridged with the voice coils running in series to give it 600w with an 8ohm load.

You could not run it with the voice coils in parallel though because this would result in a 2ohm load and the amp is not rated for that much current.

Another option would be two 1260w, which would give you 300w per speaker in stereo mode.
Well I only need one as it's just for a friend who I sold my old system to. She is very anal about appearance so smaller the better and it will be corner loaded. I was looking through the other 1262w builds and I think everyone was either using 1 channel of a larger amp or running multiple subs off of a 1000dsp, so would the 600 @ be ok for a sealed box? Wasnt there a DIYSG flatpack for 12" at one time?
Old 08-15-2014, 08:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by LTD02 View Post

I was looking for Line Out Converters (LOC) too and came across this one:

http://davidnavone.com/zencart/index...&products_id=1

Interestingly enough some folks in the car audio world have measured it and it appears to drop off steeply below 80hz :/. I do wonder how that highly reviewed Amazon one fares? Anyone have any experience with LOCs? Would love to see one measured to be flat. Would be a great solution for folks who don't have a receiver with preouts.

http://www.caraudioforum.com/showthread.php?t=267069
http://tom-morrow-land.com/tests/navoneloc/

LTD02 likes this.
Old 08-15-2014, 09:55 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 244
I built my own 5 channel voltage divider, very simple and inexpensive solution for those that don't have preamp outputs. Works great, I don't have measurements to show but I know I tested it by measuring a speaker attached to the AVR then running it thought the voltage divider and powered by an external amp and they were spot on.

In fact I tested out one of my X1000's using it just the other day.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Voltage divider.png
Views:	65
Size:	3.5 KB
ID:	214529   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_6684-sm.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	232.9 KB
ID:	214537  
mynym likes this.
Old 08-15-2014, 10:04 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronlinkous View Post
Well I only need one as it's just for a friend who I sold my old system to. She is very anal about appearance so smaller the better and it will be corner loaded. I was looking through the other 1262w builds and I think everyone was either using 1 channel of a larger amp or running multiple subs off of a 1000dsp, so would the 600 @ be ok for a sealed box? Wasnt there a DIYSG flatpack for 12" at one time?
600w should be plenty of power for that speaker. I belive 300w is recommended and it will take 1200w peaks.
Old 08-15-2014, 10:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked: 30
I am using this amp for my FR and FL fed through pre-outs from Onkyo NR809.
I was not sure and hence have set the gain knobs at 12 O'clock position.
Is this okay or is there any recommended position for it?
Old 08-15-2014, 10:12 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtg90 View Post
I built my own 5 channel voltage divider, very simple and inexpensive solution for those that don't have preamp outputs. Works great, I don't have measurements to show but I know I tested it by measuring a speaker attached to the AVR then running it thought the voltage divider and powered by an external amp and they were spot on.

In fact I tested out one of my X1000's using it just the other day.
What its the purpose of the switch?
Old 08-15-2014, 10:32 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 244
Different output voltages, but I always leave it on the 2k ohm setting.
doc5150 likes this.
Old 08-15-2014, 11:07 PM

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkkwaz View Post
I was able to just stick the banana plugs through the hole where the speaker wire would go when you unscrew the binding posts. Then tightened the posts a bit to keep then extra snug. They fit great and no mod. Basically they enter the binding post vertically. Has anyone else tried this?
I did that when I was running the XTI4000
Old 08-16-2014, 12:31 AM

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Anyone know anyplace that is still accepting orders for this amp? I need 3 of them. Want to power the LCR and surrounds in my theater with these.
Old 08-16-2014, 12:33 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 566 Post(s)
Liked: 1170
mynym, wow, that really is some rolloff. manufac. claims 20-20k. who knows. I haven't seen a measurement.

Listen. It's All Good.
Old 08-16-2014, 01:37 AM
Advanced Member

For those that have had no luck getting their hands on the X1000 through ordering on the Guitar Center site, my best advice is to search and email the closest locations to you and ask if they have any in stock. I live in NY and happened to travel to NH earlier this week. The Guitar Center in NH was out of the X1000, but I found 3 locations literally right along my trip home in MA. 2 of the 3 locations had the X1000 in stock. I stopped and bought the last one at one of those locations. Of course I had to eat the $6.25 in sales tax that wouldn't have been the case through the online order, but it is what it is.

The guy at the location I went to was unaware of the sale and was shocked by the price. At first I told him I was in to pick up the $99 X1000 and he said he didn't know of any used X1000's in stock. I said I didn't say used; I was there for a new one. He said there's no way a new one would be that price. He looked it up in their computer and of course it came up $99.97, new, and showed 1 in stock and he went into the back room and found it. He said he was amazed by the price and had never seen it that low before.
Old 08-16-2014, 07:16 AM

Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked: 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrutalBodyShots View Post
For those that have had no luck getting their hands on the X1000 through ordering on the Guitar Center site, my best advice is to search and email the closest locations to you and ask if they have any in stock. I live in NY and happened to travel to NH earlier this week. The Guitar Center in NH was out of the X1000, but I found 3 locations literally right along my trip home in MA. 2 of the 3 locations had the X1000 in stock. I stopped and bought the last one at one of those locations. Of course I had to eat the $6.25 in sales tax that wouldn't have been the case through the online order, but it is what it is.

The guy at the location I went to was unaware of the sale and was shocked by the price. At first I told him I was in to pick up the $99 X1000 and he said he didn't know of any used X1000's in stock. I said I didn't say used; I was there for a new one. He said there's no way a new one would be that price. He looked it up in their computer and of course it came up $99.97, new, and showed 1 in stock and he went into the back room and found it. He said he was amazed by the price and had never seen it that low before.
Just wondering if anyone purchased the extended warranty on these. The guys behind the counter at GC wanted about $18 per unit to extend the warranty 2 years. They really pushed it but I said no. Now I'm starting to wonder if I should go back and get the extended warranty. How do these amps typically hold up?
Old 08-16-2014, 08:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 61
They have a 3 yr warranty from the manufacturer. For $99 that is enough for me.
Mfusick likes this.
Old 08-16-2014, 08:40 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 197 Post(s)
Liked: 1018
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxozaxu View Post
Just wondering if anyone purchased the extended warranty on these. The guys behind the counter at GC wanted about $18 per unit to extend the warranty 2 years. They really pushed it but I said no. Now I'm starting to wonder if I should go back and get the extended warranty. How do these amps typically hold up?
The extended warranty at retail store is just a sales initiative and profit adder. The clerk was mostly just interested in hitting his penetration goal for extended warranty a lot more than he was seriously concerned your amp would break.

I have a crown amp just like this one that's over a decade old and had a hard life in pro audio and it's still going strong. There's no moving parts, and like some have confirmed earlier these are reasonably well built given their ultra low price. I wouldn't worry about it.

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
Old 08-16-2014, 09:06 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mfusick View Post
The extended warranty at retail store is just a sales initiative and profit adder. The clerk was mostly just interested in hitting his penetration goal for extended warranty a lot more than he was seriously concerned your amp would break.

I have a crown amp just like this one that's over a decade old and had a hard life in pro audio and it's still going strong. There's no moving parts, and like some have confirmed earlier these are reasonably well built given their ultra low price. I wouldn't worry about it.
Yeah the salesman asked me if I wanted to add the extended warranty for $18. I told him no and he was like "um, really...?" almost annoyed. I told him I never buy extended warranties, and I almost never do. And with probably 30-40 pieces of electronics purchased over the years I've never once been burned. Any time a product has failed me, which has only been maybe 2-3 times it has happened within the first couple of months and has been covered.

Usually from what I've read extended warranties are a hassle anyway since most aren't direct from the manufacturer so you have to go through an often shady extended warranty company that makes you jump through hoops sometimes to get your product fixed or replaced.
Old 08-16-2014, 10:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Has anybody used these to drive subwoofers, more specifically X4000? I am looking to buy X4000 but want to make sure it can drive the 18" SI-D4 subs in 4 cuft boxes into low teens or single digits with decent output in a 2700 sqft room. Wondering if these amps have low pass filter.

Vinod
Old 08-16-2014, 11:24 AM

Thanks guys. That's what I wanted to hear.

I don't usually buy extended warranties. They acted very shocked when I said no the first time and a little peeved after the 3rd time I said no. Made me question my decision. Didn't help that when I asked how long the normal warranty is they told me 30 days. Obviously they were lying to me.
Old 08-16-2014, 11:29 AM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxozaxu View Post
Thanks guys. That's what I wanted to hear.

I don't usually buy extended warranties. They acted very shocked when I said no the first time and a little peeved after the 3rd time I said no. Made me question my decision. Didn't help that when I asked how long the normal warranty is they told me 30 days. Obviously they were lying to me.
The money most companies (regardless of industry) make on extended warranties is not to be believed.

I bought the X1000, to go along with two XLS 1500s. At that price, I saw no reason not to.

But, and extended warranty on a $99 amp? No thanks.
Old 08-16-2014, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bburnett View Post
The money most companies (regardless of industry) make on extended warranties is not to be believed.

I bought the X1000, to go along with two XLS 1500s. At that price, I saw no reason not to.

But, and extended warranty on a $99 amp? No thanks.
Yeah, for 99$ I'm not going to worry about any longer.

Now, instead of driving back to GC, I can go into the garage and work on my speakers.
Old 08-16-2014, 01:03 PM

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Friends don't let friends buy extended warranties. Even though these Crowns are entry level DJ amps, they are overbuilt compared to their home audio counterparts.
Boxozaxu likes this.

1: Sony DVP-S7000 | Denon DVD-2900 | Laptop > Emotiva XDA-2 > Emotiva Control Freak > Crown XLS2000 > Focal 826V | Def Tech BP2000 | (2) DIY 15" Subs
2: Computer > Parasound Zdac > Emotiva Control Freak > Acurus A150 > Focal 706V | Def Tech SM450 | Velodyne F-1000B Sub