Cheap Crown Amp Power $99 - Page 6 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 61Likes

post #151 of 525 Old 08-09-2014, 11:53 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 28
My AVR is a Denon 4311. It supposedly puts out 130w per channel. My 1099 LCR just arrived today. I plan to run v10's for surrounds and front heights.

I was going to run everything off the Denon. Should I consider getting a few of these? If so, for which channels?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #152 of 525 Old 08-09-2014, 11:55 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by aydu View Post
When you see products that deliver this level of sq at this price, it makes you wonder about the $5000-10,000 power amps that are for sale.

With my X-1000 added to the signal path, I'm getting good dynamics, quiet operation, and plenty of power for whatever level of listening I choose.

Not sure what else a big buck power amp (or even the cheaper Emotiva type brands) would bring to the table to justify the extra cost.

^^^I was thinking this same thing. I was just looking at an Emotiva UPA-500 for my surround duty, but would a couple of the X1000's be just as good or better at almost half the price?
post #153 of 525 Old 08-09-2014, 12:03 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by sslv2pwned View Post
My AVR is a Denon 4311. It supposedly puts out 130w per channel. My 1099 LCR just arrived today. I plan to run v10's for surrounds and front heights.

I was going to run everything off the Denon. Should I consider getting a few of these? If so, for which channels?

I am by far no expert, but I don't think you need much power to run the highly efficient 1099's or volts, especially in a HT environment. I have Tempest LCR and run them with my Denon x4000 without any problems. Now there are countless posts where some debate whether separates are better for sound quality or not. I may pick up a couple of the X1000's to add in some height channels and possibly run my surrounds with the thought that someday I could possibly use them in an atmos environment.
post #154 of 525 Old 08-09-2014, 12:18 PM

Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bud Heavy View Post
I am by far no expert, but I don't think you need much power to run the highly efficient 1099's or volts, especially in a HT environment. I have Tempest LCR and run them with my Denon x4000 without any problems. Now there are countless posts where some debate whether separates are better for sound quality or not. I may pick up a couple of the X1000's to add in some height channels and possibly run my surrounds with the thought that someday I could possibly use them in an atmos environment.
Agreed. But what had me thinking was something I recently read stating the AVR won't put out the claimed 130w per channel. It pools all the power and as more channels are used there is less power to go around. The AVR does 9.2 channels. It does great with my current setup, but I currently don't run front heights. That said, the new speakers are way more efficient.

post #155 of 525 Old 08-09-2014, 01:50 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Today I went to Guitar Center and got the X1000. I tried hooking it up using the Onkyo SR805 Receiver's front preouts via Rca cables to the input of the crown amp. Then used banana plugs from the Crown amp output binding posts out to the banana plugs on my 4ohm Dahlquist 20i L/R main speakers. The Crown amp powers up fine but when I turn up the gains on both channels I only get buzzing from the Dahlquist 20i's. I'm using 14 guage speaker wire for the output wiring to the speakers. I've read that it might be a ground loop problem. My guess is that I probably need to plug the Crown power cord directly into the grounded 120volt 15 amp wall socket and not into a power strip surge protector. I only have to outlets at the wall,, one is being used to power the 8 outlet strip. The other is being taken up by a WD Livewire Powerline A/V network kit, so I can use my Network in another room and not run Ethernet cables. At first, I thought that the settings were off at the Onkyo's speaker configuration but there set at 4ohm full band and the center channel and surrounds work. The front preouted speakers that are being driven by the Crown just buzz Hum with out any other sound.

I'm going to plug the power cord from the Crown amp directly to the grounded wall socket and report back if that solves the problem. Fingers Crossed.
post #156 of 525 Old 08-09-2014, 01:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 33
To eliminate the Onkyo as a source of the problem, you might try plugging a CD player directly into the amp and using the volume controls of the amp to see if you get sound rather than the buzz/hum.
post #157 of 525 Old 08-09-2014, 02:33 PM

Still buzzing with the Crown Power cord plugged to wall outlet. Any help would be great. I was so looking forward to hearing the 20i's with the added power. Tomorrows another day. Oh, btw, the only light that is on on constantly if the signal light . No flashing just constant green. No clipping light or fault light. only on startup then quickly stops and goes to signal green. Which stays on.
post #158 of 525 Old 08-09-2014, 02:38 PM

Aydu,

So, I would just take the front Onkyo preout RCA out of the Amp RCA input and connect the CD player interconnects into the RCA AMP input. Right ?
post #159 of 525 Old 08-09-2014, 02:51 PM

Thanks for the suggestion Aydu. I'm getting some really good sound from the speakers now using the CD player as the source. Now, What's with the Onkyo. Good thing is we eliminated the idea of Magnetic field from the positioning of the components . The CD player is directly under the Amp separated by a wooden shelf. Fans are inaudible. Cool.
post #160 of 525 Old 08-09-2014, 03:19 PM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Maybe a stupid question, but can you run two difference impedance loads on each channel? For example, one channel on an 8 ohm center speaker and the other on a 4 ohm sub?
post #161 of 525 Old 08-09-2014, 04:05 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Agreed. But what had me thinking was something I recently read stating the AVR won't put out the claimed 130w per channel. It pools all the power and as more channels are used there is less power to go around. The AVR does 9.2 channels. It does great with my current setup, but I currently don't run front heights. That said, the new speakers are way more efficient.

I have the 4311 as well. That receiver has been bench tested at 110 wpc into 5 channels, but I have never seen a 7 or 9 channel test. That may be plenty of power into highly efficient speakers so you may want to try the denon first and then decide if you need additional amps.
post #162 of 525 Old 08-09-2014, 04:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 372 Post(s)
Liked: 655
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkkwaz View Post
Maybe a stupid question, but can you run two difference impedance loads on each channel? For example, one channel on an 8 ohm center speaker and the other on a 4 ohm sub?
That's perfectly okay.

"Without subs it's just background music - with subs it's the main event!"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #163 of 525 Old 08-09-2014, 04:58 PM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:

Ah go ahead. I got one for my mains and will probably pick up another for center or run some heights and I am running 98db LCR. They are rated up to 250rms(600peak) so these will be perfect.
post #164 of 525 Old 08-09-2014, 06:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBreeze View Post
Thanks for the suggestion Aydu. I'm getting some really good sound from the speakers now using the CD player as the source. Now, What's with the Onkyo. Good thing is we eliminated the idea of Magnetic field from the positioning of the components . The CD player is directly under the Amp separated by a wooden shelf. Fans are inaudible. Cool.
At least you now know that it Onkyo is the problem in the signal chain.

If you just unplugged from the Onkyo and replugged the same cable into the Crown amp, you know that the cable is ok.

The preouts may be bad on the Onkyo.

If you still want to use it as a switching source for the Crown amp, you could buy a cable that has a headphone jack on one end with RCA connectors on the other end. Plug the headphone jack end into the Onkyo and the other into the Crown amp. This will let you use the volume control of the Onkyo, as well as the source switching capability.

I use a cable like this to connect my tablet to my receiver so I can use Internet radio on my big stereo system.

Cable can be obtained through Monoprice for a minimal cost.
post #165 of 525 Old 08-09-2014, 07:13 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 2
I just went to my local guitar center and they've got several of these amps. My question is would one X1000 be sufficient to drive a minimarty SI18 (I've got the d4 sub and can series it to 8 ohms) or would the X4000 be the definite way to go? I was planning on going with an iNuke 3000dsp but for $100...
post #166 of 525 Old 08-09-2014, 07:25 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 781 Post(s)
Liked: 947
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elitecrewman View Post
I just went to my local guitar center and they've got several of these amps. My question is would one X1000 be sufficient to drive a minimarty SI18 (I've got the d4 sub and can series it to 8 ohms) or would the X4000 be the definite way to go? I was planning on going with an iNuke 3000dsp but for $100...
X4000 definitely .
post #167 of 525 Old 08-09-2014, 07:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 263 Post(s)
Liked: 553
I think the X2000 would be good for the ported SI18 unless you planned on buying another sub down the road.

Twelve 10" NHT subwoofer build.
Cloning of a NHT VR-3.
2 ACI 15" subwoofers.

post #168 of 525 Old 08-09-2014, 08:13 PM

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
I'm pretty sure those are inputs on the front of your Onkyo, not outputs.
post #169 of 525 Old 08-09-2014, 09:35 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 2
I'd probably build another one eventually, so the headroom is nice. Downside to it is looks like I'll need something like the minidsp 2x4 to eq the sub.
post #170 of 525 Old 08-09-2014, 10:48 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elitecrewman View Post
I'd probably build another one eventually, so the headroom is nice. Downside to it is looks like I'll need something like the minidsp 2x4 to eq the sub.
Pretty standard to need one these days anyways.
post #171 of 525 Old 08-10-2014, 03:53 AM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Ordered 2 from Guitar Center Thursday, got them Friday. I live in Georgia and they were shipped out of Atlanta.

I would be curious to know how many of these were purchased just from this thread. Looks like quite a few.

Moto
post #172 of 525 Old 08-10-2014, 05:17 AM

The preouts I'm using are on the back of the Onkyo 805. Thankfully, I have a practically new Onkyo 805 waiting in the wings to use early next week. I'm waiting on a TV Riser for my large Klipsch Center to be placed into. I think what Aydu is talking about atr the AUX 2 inputs on the front of the Onkyo. I use them to play Spotify thru my speakers. I have the jack that he speaks off plugging the headphone jack into the IPhone 4s and the rca's plugging into the L/R Aux 2 inputs. It works great. Today, I'm going to check out if the surround preouts on the Onkyo work or if they produce the same buzz that the front channel preouts have.
post #173 of 525 Old 08-10-2014, 05:44 AM

I'd really appreciate someone's advise if there is a alternative method to hooking up the Crown amp to the onkyo 805 receiver besides using the front preouts on the Onkyo rear panel.
post #174 of 525 Old 08-10-2014, 05:49 AM
AVS Special Member

The cable I was referring to was for use with the headphone jack on the Onkyo.

The backs of A/V receivers get pretty cluttered with all the input and output jacks. Probably a good idea to double check that the initial jacks used on the Onkyo were truly the front channel pre-outs and not something else.
post #175 of 525 Old 08-10-2014, 06:07 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 162 Post(s)
Liked: 812
Could you use a $20 headphone amp to boost the gain of the RCA puts before they go into the Crown ? Then you'd just turn down the crown gain a little, but this might sound better and have less hiss.

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
post #176 of 525 Old 08-10-2014, 06:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
I'd really appreciate someone's advise if there is a alternative method to hooking up the Crown amp to the onkyo 805 receiver besides using the front preouts on the Onkyo rear panel.
I also want to use this amp to drive my fronts (L&R) by connecting it to the preouts from my Onkyo 809.
But I have bit of a confusion in terms of settings on the receiver.
What I know is
1. Connect the amp to FL FR preouts from Onkyo
2. Run Audyssey

What I don't know is
1. What is the setting in the receiver that tell him not to use his power amp section for FL and FR?
2. How the volume of the crown varies (or not) when I use the volume control from my (Onkyo's )remote?

I really appreciate your help..
post #177 of 525 Old 08-10-2014, 08:06 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 166 Post(s)
Liked: 45
I have a similar issue when I tested my inuke3000 to power my center. I got a noticeable hiss that wasnt present when using the AVs power. I am going to try a ground loop isolator in the RCA to see if that help. This x1000 is a sweet deal. I think use the x1000 for LR get a 3000dsp for C and a another sub. With that setup its almost the same price as getting one nu46000 but now I have the ability to use dsp for the sub. I dont need it for the speakers.
post #178 of 525 Old 08-10-2014, 08:22 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaranddeeman View Post
I also want to use this amp to drive my fronts (L&R) by connecting it to the preouts from my Onkyo 809.
But I have bit of a confusion in terms of settings on the receiver.
What I know is
1. Connect the amp to FL FR preouts from Onkyo
2. Run Audyssey

What I don't know is
1. What is the setting in the receiver that tell him not to use his power amp section for FL and FR?
2. How the volume of the crown varies (or not) when I use the volume control from my (Onkyo's )remote?

I really appreciate your help..
I have the same questions as you. I ordered one of these amps to use for my FL and FR so that I can ease up on my Denon X2000's amp and hopefully get a little more out of my center channel as a result (while obviously getting a lot more out of my fronts). Not 100% sure on the hookup though as I've never used a pro amp.
post #179 of 525 Old 08-10-2014, 08:30 AM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
That's perfectly okay.
Thanks, Archaea. Have another quick question. I've searched for this, but have seen differing opinions. What is the appropriate setting for the input sensitivity switch if hooked up to a consumer AVR like my Denon x4000? Does the .775v setting mean that the amp is MORE sensitive than the 1.4v setting because it only takes .775v to on the input to reach full output? Or does the .775v mean that the amp is LESS sensitive because the sensitivity voltage is lower (.775v vs. 1.4v)?

Also, here is what I have in mind for setting the gain controls (input attenuators) on the x1000 and want to see if you guys are doing this the same way. In my research I've read that the attenuation should take place as close to the speakers as possible, meaning better to have the speaker trims in the receiver higher and the knobs on the x1000 lower to reduce noise and maximize headroom. Correct? I'm planning on setting internal receiver speaker trims to 0 (Audyssey currently sets them at -10 because of my sensitive speakers). Then setting the receiver volume control at 00 and adjusting knobs on the x1000 to get 75 db at the listening position with receiver test tones. That way the amp will have plenty of input voltage to reach full power if needed and hopefully a lower noise level. Correct?
post #180 of 525 Old 08-10-2014, 08:33 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 166 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by lemonslush View Post
I have a similar issue when I tested my inuke3000 to power my center. I got a noticeable hiss that wasnt present when using the AVs power. I am going to try a ground loop isolator in the RCA to see if that help. This x1000 is a sweet deal. I think use the x1000 for LR get a 3000dsp for C and a another sub. With that setup its almost the same price as getting one nu46000 but now I have the ability to use dsp for the sub. I dont need it for the speakers.

update, I went through everything again and eventually just hooked the 3000 with no input. Turns out it was the amp making the hiss noise. Its not very loud and I can only hear it when my ear is right next to it. I dont get a humm that increases with volume. That was removed with I took the ground off of the power plug.

Do all pro audio amps have that slight hiss OR is my Inuke faulty? Does anyones crown make a that noise when no signal is going to the speakers?

Last edited by lemonslush; 08-10-2014 at 08:43 AM.
Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page