Kevings DIY coffee table with18 inch sub, 4th DIY sub, completed build w/pics - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 24Likes
post #31 of 50 Old 08-17-2014, 04:41 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 573 Post(s)
Liked: 1180
congratulations on a fantastic project and excellent write-up kevin!

you may very well have set the record for largest delta from 'initial concept drawing' to 'final build'. ;-)

build quality looks top notch...definitely a work of art there.

on another note, the reflections that marty spoke of probably are not having as much of an effect because the 50 degree (vertical) horn in the mains. as a result the reflections are probably coming in low enough so as to be pretty much overwhelmed by the direct line spl.

just out of curiosity, the ev's are passive right, or did you go all in for the active?

Listen. It's All Good.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 50 Old 08-17-2014, 05:03 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by PM-Performance View Post
4 18's that close and bass shakers? You guys are nuts. lol
and he only has 4 !! hehe xD
post #33 of 50 Old 08-17-2014, 05:08 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked: 207
Quote:
Originally Posted by LTD02 View Post
congratulations on a fantastic project and excellent write-up kevin!

you may very well have set the record for largest delta from 'initial concept drawing' to 'final build'. ;-)

build quality looks top notch...definitely a work of art there.

on another note, the reflections that marty spoke of probably are not having as much of an effect because the 50 degree (vertical) horn in the mains. as a result the reflections are probably coming in low enough so as to be pretty much overwhelmed by the direct line spl.

just out of curiosity, the ev's are passive right, or did you go all in for the active?
Thx John. The exl212's are the passive model, and the powered version is the exl212 p.

http://www.electrovoice.com/product.php?id=1070

I read a bunch of reviews on the new "live x" series from electro voice and i liked what i read, and how they compared to the qsc's which i know some forum members have been happy with in their theaters.

anyhow, i stopped by pro stage sound and lighting ( pssl.com ) and gave them a listen. LOUD, CLEAN and DYNAMIC, is how i would describe them. They let me take home 3 of them and try them out. I was pretty much sold within 10 minutes of getting them hooked up. I have a sherbourn amp pushing them which does 200 watts at 8 ohm and 300 at 4 ohm, and it easily gets me way past reference no perceivable distortion.

A popular speaker that I can compare them to would be the sho-10's. Very similar top end but these have much stronger mid bass / chest slam than the sho's though, imo ( 12 inch woofer vs 10 inch ) Music and movies, now have some serious snap and bite, but with out being harsh.

I also changed out my 4 surrounds to JBL control 28's ( 2 way, 8 inch ) and they are cranking too! Here's a few low quality cell pics of the surrouds after i finished mounting them ( heavy little beast - I'd guess close to 30lbs per speaker )

Next up, I'm getting rid of all the movie posters and glass frames and going with bass traps / acoustic panels on the back wall, ceiling, and corners. I'm happy with the sound in my room now, as is. On the other hand I have heard treated theaters ( like Ivan Pino's and edogg's ) and have liked what I've heard, so I'm gonna go for it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5311[1].jpg
Views:	320
Size:	186.8 KB
ID:	216809   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5310[1].jpg
Views:	316
Size:	148.0 KB
ID:	216817  
post #34 of 50 Old 08-21-2014, 11:06 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Love your build and great job with the write-up and pics! I am wondering how you ran your wires to get to the table without being to obvious?
post #35 of 50 Old 08-21-2014, 06:38 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by squiers007 View Post
Love your build and great job with the write-up and pics! I am wondering how you ran your wires to get to the table without being to obvious?
007, thx!

It's actually not that hard to do.....

What I did was use a razor blade to make a 1/2 inch cut in the carpet near the equipment rack. I then made a similar 1/2 inch in the carpet where I wanted the speaker wire to come out. I then attached one end of the speaker wire to a fish rod kit ( basically its like a long fishing pole that's made to help you pull wire through places whether they be carpet, drywall, attics, whatever ).

Here's a link to help you out:
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Jameson-2...-23T/202456701

At this point it, it really helps to have someone helping you out. Have your helper keep an eye on the exit cut that you made and tell them to grab the fish rod as soon as they see it. Now you just have to keep jamming the fish rod in and through the underside of the carpet. As soon as your helper pulls it out the other side your speaker wire will come with it.

If you doing something similar and you get stuck anywhere along the way, start a thread and I, along with others I'm sure, will help you out.
post #36 of 50 Old 08-21-2014, 07:30 PM

That's how i figured you had done it, but unfortunately i do not have carpet in my room and hiding wires can be difficult. For my surround speakers we ended up actually running the wire through the wall to the outside of the house and then around to the back of the room where we made another hole to get back in. From here we ran a small stretch of plastic wire mold through my dining room so we could enter the hvac duct. The duct runs the entire length of my first floor so we used it to get the wires to there final spot. Turned out really nice but took an entire day to get it completed. As a bonus, and to keep the wife happy i put a pair of HTD in ceiling speakers in the master bath so she can listen to music taking baths, doing her makeup, etc. Just used the same duct and ran it a little farther. It's running as my zone 2 on my Denon so she was excited she could control it with her phone.

Ok, got a little off topic, but again thanks for the reply and i will most likely be looking for help in the near future when I decide to start building my diy sub! Thanks, and again it's a great looking table.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Check out my End-Table Marty Build
post #37 of 50 Old 08-21-2014, 07:39 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by squiers007 View Post
That's how i figured you had done it, but unfortunately i do not have carpet in my room and hiding wires can be difficult. For my surround speakers we ended up actually running the wire through the wall to the outside of the house and then around to the back of the room where we made another hole to get back in. From here we ran a small stretch of plastic wire mold through my dining room so we could enter the hvac duct. The duct runs the entire length of my first floor so we used it to get the wires to there final spot. Turned out really nice but took an entire day to get it completed. As a bonus, and to keep the wife happy i put a pair of HTD in ceiling speakers in the master bath so she can listen to music taking baths, doing her makeup, etc. Just used the same duct and ran it a little farther. It's running as my zone 2 on my Denon so she was excited she could control it with her phone.

Ok, got a little off topic, but again thanks for the reply and i will most likely be looking for help in the near future when I decide to start building my diy sub! Thanks, and again it's a great looking table.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
That zone 2 setup, you did for your wife sounds pretty slick. Also, when you say that running wires took you all day, i know EXACTLY what you mean. When I ran the wires for my 4 surrounds, even with a friend helping me I practically burned up a whole day too, and probably cussed more in just that one day, then i normally do in a year, lol.
post #38 of 50 Old 08-21-2014, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevings View Post
That zone 2 setup, you did for your wife sounds pretty slick. Also, when you say that running wires took you all day, i know EXACTLY what you mean. When I ran the wires for my 4 surrounds, even with a friend helping me I practically burned up a whole day too, and probably cussed more in just that one day, then i normally do in a year, lol.
Haha yes, there was definitely some cussing involved and lots of sweating since it was a little over 100 that day! Thankfully my dad was in town to help out.

Sent from my Galaxy S5 using Tapatalk

Check out my End-Table Marty Build
post #39 of 50 Old 10-31-2014, 07:20 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 27
How in gods name did I miss this build??!! Just awesome Kev! Unbelievably professional looking. WAF must be through the roof.

post #40 of 50 Old 10-31-2014, 09:27 PM

Side note, when you get a non family room theater room setup, I'm flying to your neck of the woods to hear it. Wonderful job!

post #41 of 50 Old 11-03-2014, 09:42 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Thx buddy.

Yeah, this build was a lot fun, and I enjoyed building something that was a bit unique.

Wife is happy with it too. She now has a place to set our bowl of popcorn when she gets tired of holding it in her lap. The other cool thing is that because the table is so heavy and the glass is thick as well, the bass can be pumping away but the glass top vibrates very very little.
post #42 of 50 Old 11-03-2014, 11:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1219 Post(s)
Liked: 1170
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevings View Post
Thx buddy.

Yeah, this build was a lot fun, and I enjoyed building something that was a bit unique.

Wife is happy with it too. She now has a place to set our bowl of popcorn when she gets tired of holding it in her lap. The other cool thing is that because the table is so heavy and the glass is thick as well, the bass can be pumping away but the glass top vibrates very very little.
Kev I have four subs now too and it's awesome . All the bass I need. No big upgrades needed. Finally have system dialed in.
post #43 of 50 Old 11-05-2014, 06:23 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
That is a true work of art. Very impressive. Thank you for sharing the build.
post #44 of 50 Old 11-05-2014, 08:25 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyStreetRacer View Post
That is a true work of art. Very impressive. Thank you for sharing the build.
Thx Indy!

Ps- great avatar. No one messes withy Kenny powers!
post #45 of 50 Old 11-05-2014, 12:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 218
Really great execution there! Congrats on a fantastic build!

post #46 of 50 Old 11-05-2014, 04:11 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpmst3 View Post
Really great execution there! Congrats on a fantastic build!

Thx jpmst

This weekend I'm gonna finally get around to watching the newest transformers flick. I'm not expecting too much as far the plot goes, but it should be a good bassathon in typical transformers style!
post #47 of 50 Old 11-05-2014, 04:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 765 Post(s)
Liked: 897
nice looking build!

"Without subs it's just background music - with subs it's the main event!"
Archaea's Theatre Room
2011 KC Sub Shootout
2012 KC Blind Sub Shootout
My Subwoofer Recommendations by Pricepoint
post #48 of 50 Old 11-05-2014, 08:58 PM

Side note 2. My full Marty is still pulling heavy duty while a 4.7 cu ft car box housing a bravox 15 pumps near field into my mlp riser in the theater room. No one has ever come close to the full Marty...I believe there is an unsaid intimidation factor lol. The sad part is that I have carpet to finish it but after all these months of house and earth shaking movie nights with friends and family, it's still not a finished sub. Just poor rounded edged mdf sitting in my theater room wreaking havoc with my foundation and plaster walls. This makes me want to get the boys over and carpet this darned thing

post #49 of 50 Unread Today, 10:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 175
Hey Kevin, just came across this. I knew you had built it but never saw the build thread. That is awesome, very classy piece of furniture. Love the detail and the use of the space. Very impressed man, you did a great job. Congrats.
post #50 of 50 Unread Today, 11:00 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cessna1466u View Post
Hey Kevin, just came across this. I knew you had built it but never saw the build thread. That is awesome, very classy piece of furniture. Love the detail and the use of the space. Very impressed man, you did a great job. Congrats.
Thx buddy, the compliment is appreciated, and just know Im glad to see you posting again more often: )
Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page