clearwave dynamics - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 08-10-2014, 09:47 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 12
clearwave dynamics

im thinking about building these. does anyone have experience with these? are they worth the money? good for ht?
http://www.clearwavespeakers.com/web.../300200/909459
http://www.clearwavespeakers.com/web.../300200/909458
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-11-2014, 05:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 280 Post(s)
Liked: 172
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbclamper View Post
im thinking about building these. does anyone have experience with these? are they worth the money? good for ht?
They look good, and use some quality mid's and tweet. I would have liked to see a better woofer choice, but, that would have likely increased the price substantially. As far as being good for theater usage, I would have to say that it depends on your room size and listening habits, ie: loud, moderate, or quite?

If your listening space is very big, and if you listen to your movies with anything around -10db or more, then I would say, no, there are better theater speaker kits out there. For theater usage, (unless your room is small and you listen at -30db!) I would seriously look into the kits from DIYSoundgroup. The Fusion series are terrific theater performers , especially the Fusion-12 Tempest, or the Fusion-15 Sentinel when it becomes available. Another option from the same website is the elusive 1099! Any of those, with a pair of Volt10's or Volt8 coax surrounds would probably beat the Clearwaves pretty easily for movies, plus they are a whole lot cheaper! You could take the money you save and buy two Stereo Integrity 18HT or Dayton UM18's for subs and still come out money ahead all while smoking the Clearwaves!
Old 08-11-2014, 08:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Jeb designs and builds excellent speakers using state of the art drivers with sophisticated crossover designs.

IMO, if you don't need pro sound output levels his speakers are a very good choice.

He sells his kits for pricing better than the DIYer could get buying the components individually. In addition he provides very good tech support.

Cult of the Infinitely Baffled (Resource for IB sub builders
Old 08-11-2014, 08:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
I needed speakers that were fairly narrow to fit below and to the sides of my screen and chose Jed's Dynamic 4's. I built them last winter, love how they sound in my theater.
Old 08-11-2014, 10:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1229 Post(s)
Liked: 1197
It's nice to see the frequency response for these speakers but what are the specs on them?
Old 08-12-2014, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrown15 View Post
It's nice to see the frequency response for these speakers but what are the specs on them?
Hi there,

One of my customers mentioned that there was an active thread. Part of the reason I don't list the sensitivity and bass response F3 is that there is a lot of confusion over the topic. For example, some manufacturers list the sensitivity as if the driver were mounted on an infinite baffle, but as we all know, we get 4-6db loss there when mounted on a narrow baffle. So realistically, the speakers are around 88-89db per one watt AFTER baffle step loss. They also have a benign impedance which doesn't dip low (as can be seen in the build document under specifications tab) Also, in room we'll get bass down into the mid/upper 30s. Many of my customers have run these without a subwoofer and have been very satisfied, but for the deepest impact you can go with a subwoofer of your choice.

Feel free to send me an email to discuss some options.

Regards,

Jed from Clearwave
Old 08-12-2014, 10:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jed K. View Post
Hi there,

One of my customers mentioned that there was an active thread. Part of the reason I don't list the sensitivity and bass response F3 is that there is a lot of confusion over the topic. For example, some manufacturers list the sensitivity as if the driver were mounted on an infinite baffle, but as we all know, we get 4-6db loss there when mounted on a narrow baffle. So realistically, the speakers are around 88-89db per one watt AFTER baffle step loss. They also have a benign impedance which doesn't dip low (as can be seen in the build document under specifications tab) Also, in room we'll get bass down into the mid/upper 30s. Many of my customers have run these without a subwoofer and have been very satisfied, but for the deepest impact you can go with a subwoofer of your choice.

Feel free to send me an email to discuss some options.

Regards,

Jed from Clearwave

So how low can they play reference levels at? And what's peak SPL?
Old 08-12-2014, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrown15 View Post
So how low can they play reference levels at? And what's peak SPL?
If you want loudness purely for HT, you might explore a horn and subwoofer system. The 4 series will get you up to 110db or so with room gain factored in and sound great for high end audio as well as home theater. You'll need plenty of power to get there cleanly. Watts are fairly cheap. That being said, I haven't had any reports of blown drivers on the 4 Series. I've sold quite a few. And better yet, high pass the mains and cc around 80hz, and add a subwoofer to get a lot more headroom and less thermal compression because there will be less heat in the voice coils.
Old 08-12-2014, 12:12 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 668 Post(s)
Liked: 531
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jed K. View Post
If you want loudness purely for HT, you might explore a horn and subwoofer system. The 4 series will get you up to 110db or so with room gain factored in and sound great for high end audio as well as home theater. You'll need plenty of power to get there cleanly. Watts are fairly cheap. That being said, I haven't had any reports of blown drivers on the 4 Series. I've sold quite a few. And better yet, high pass the mains and cc around 80hz, and add a subwoofer to get a lot more headroom and less thermal compression because there will be less heat in the voice coils.
Since we are talking about a dome tweeter, I assume the 110db is from one meter?

Mike Garrett, AV Science Sales Call Me: 585-671-2968
Email Me: Mike@AVScience.com
Brands we sell: http://avscience.com/brands/ 
Call for B-stock projectors
Stewart, Seymour, SE, SI, Falcon, DNP & more.
RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Tech., MK Sound, BG Radia, SVS & Def Tech, Denon, Marantz & Yamaha .
Old 08-12-2014, 12:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 66
I can speak first hand about the quality of speaker Jed designs and what a pleasure it is doing business with him. I've built several of his designs and communicated with him quite often.

Speaking directly about the Dynamics, I would recommend them for both HT and 2-channel audio. I enjoy their sound so much I've rebuilt their cabinets twice!!! During a recent Home Theater meet I was asked if the speakers cost around $4-$5K to build. In my mind, that confirmed every idea in my head these speakers are amazing for the price.

BTW - If you want some build idea, see my sig below for my Dynamic build.
Old 08-12-2014, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AV Science Sales 5 View Post
Since we are talking about a dome tweeter, I assume the 110db is from one meter?
Yes, to be on the safe side. Along with the sensitivity rating. Although this too is a tricky topic given room gain figures that vary.
For example, there's a couple build threads where my customers documented their in room measurements and SPL at a greater distance.
Old 08-12-2014, 02:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Can they play reference levels with 40 & 50hz content full range?
Old 08-12-2014, 03:26 PM

Here's a graph of what's going on at 200W output into a quad of RS180-8s. Below 40hz, xmax will eventually get exceeded and the woofers will unload (as is the case for most 7" drivers), but above that things are looking good. Actually it's above the 110dbs/meter I mentioned, but other factors of heat in the voice coils may cause issues for extended abuse above 110dbs. I hope this helps us visualize the numbers without room gain.

I'm happy to answer any more specific questions about room setup, etc. via email. It's all about one's individual goals and system.

Jed
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	VB Response Dayton RS180-8.gif
Views:	21
Size:	33.1 KB
ID:	209353  
Old 08-12-2014, 03:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Thanks for the info Jed.
Old 08-12-2014, 05:21 PM - Thread Starter

im kinda new to this, will these be as loud as my klipsch speakers i have now? i dont max them out often but i like the ability.
Old 08-12-2014, 05:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
im kinda new to this, will these be as loud as my klipsch speakers i have now? i dont max them out often but i like the ability.
I think that would depend on which Klipsch speakers you have.
Old 08-12-2014, 06:03 PM - Thread Starter

rf82s rc62
Old 08-12-2014, 06:03 PM

Quote:
A lot will also depend on your room size-- medium to large size 15X25' or so, I'd imagine you'd have enough headroom if your amplifier is a nice high current design and rated at 200watts or so. Some guys with enormous home theater rooms might need more SPL to reach over 115dbs a few meters away (horn based speakers and multiple subs). I can't imagine playing that loudly for anything other than peaks, but to each his own. I've had a few guys upgrade from Klipsch to the Dynamics, but like others said, it depends on the model and your application. The nice thing about the Dynamics is they do well for music too.
Old 08-12-2014, 06:05 PM - Thread Starter

my room is 13x24 plan on going with outlaw audio monoblocks or xpa3
Old 08-12-2014, 06:40 PM

Quote:
my room is 13x24 plan on going with outlaw audio monoblocks or xpa3
I've had many go with the Emotiva gear. It's a great match. Your room seems to be within range for optimum performance as well. If you aren't handy with tools, I have a source for a CNC flat pack cabinet kit. Crossovers are pre-assembled. FYI: Shipping is free when the center is purchased with the mains.

Jed

Last edited by Jed K.; 08-12-2014 at 07:11 PM.
Old 08-12-2014, 07:31 PM
AVS Special Member

My room is 17x24 with XPA-2's running the Dynamic 4's. I usually listen to movies at around -12 which is plenty loud enough for me.
Old 08-12-2014, 07:31 PM - Thread Starter

thats good to know. the flatpacks would definately save me time that i dont have
Old 08-12-2014, 07:33 PM - Thread Starter

whats the total price with all 3 speakers and flatpacks. how will my klipsch inwall surrounds sound with these?
Old 08-12-2014, 07:46 PM

Quote:
whats the total price with all 3 speakers and flatpacks. how will my klipsch inwall surrounds sound with these?
KB,

Shoot me an email, and I can go over that with you for sure. There's a few options. Thanks,

Jed
www.clearwavespeakers.com
Old 08-13-2014, 09:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Just to add. My room is 12.5 by 19 and I ran the Dynamics with both an XPA-3 and now XPR-2. Both amps served the Dynamics well and they never ran out of steam for my taste. And I do play things loud, not crazy loud, but loud enough.
Old 08-13-2014, 09:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 23
To answer the OPs question, the 4T's are great speakers. I normally watch moves around -20db in a not-so-big room with bare painted walls. It's a bit too live, so the midrange and treble is a little much, but it's the room's fault. For the average A/V consumer, these speakers will blow their minds. The Tang Band mids sound fantastic! If you want to go LOUD, dome tweeters are not your friend.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deewan View Post
BTW - If you want some build idea, see my sig below for my Dynamic build.
Those 4T's look great. I'd love to do something similar since mine are raw MDF. I don't have a wood shop available though. You don't have a more detailed build thread with numerous pictures do you?

YID DIY
Old 08-13-2014, 09:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Looneybomber View Post

Those 4T's look great. I'd love to do something similar since mine are raw MDF. I don't have a wood shop available though. You don't have a more detailed build thread with numerous pictures do you?
Thanks. I don't have a detailed build thread, but a basic idea of how I made the cabinets can be found in this thread. I've considered building new cabinets again. Want to challenge myself with another crazy design.
Old 08-13-2014, 10:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 23
The silver stripes are a nice touch, and the old school Sonus Faber back is something I wanted to copy for a long time. If you do decide to build new cabs, let me know, because I might be interested in taking the empty cabs off your hands.

YID DIY
Old 08-14-2014, 07:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Looneybomber View Post
The silver stripes are a nice touch, and the old school Sonus Faber back is something I wanted to copy for a long time. If you do decide to build new cabs, let me know, because I might be interested in taking the empty cabs off your hands.
I will let you know. For a year or so I've been considering building new cabinets and having Jed design another pair of speakers all together. So the completed speakers may also be up for sale if I ever decide to pull the trigger and Jed agrees to entertain my ideas.
Old 08-18-2014, 06:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Dynamics

Check my signature for my build. My room is heavily dampened and I have not had any problems listening to the biggest action movie at significant levels. I run the three across the front with an outlaw 200 watt per channel amp. I use a Danley DTS 10 sub.

Jed is a stand up guy I would not hesitate to do business with him.

T6

Clearwave 4TSE and 4CC build thread
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...1#post19489740