4Ohm DVC wiring single voice coil to get a 4Ohm load? PLEASE HELP! - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 19 Old 08-11-2014, 06:38 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 10
4Ohm DVC wiring single voice coil to get a 4Ohm load? PLEASE HELP!

Hey all,
I am in a bit of a situation...
I have ordered two 4ohm DVC JL audio W3v2's, and plan to make them into separate home theatre subs.
But I have now been hit with the problem of power.. I have found the BASH 300w RMS @4ohm plate amp at a really good price and suite the JL's perfectly. However they are 4ohm DVC each...
Is there anyway I can wire each one to a 4ohm load so that I can get the 300w RMS? I heard about wiring just one voice coil but don't know of that would affect it negatively, does anyone know about this?
I really don't want to spend another $200 on amps just so I can get the BASH 500w for the 325w at 8ohms.
Please help me!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 08-11-2014, 07:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 74
How about keeping the amp separate from the subwoofer cabinet and wiring the two drivers in parallel/series or series/parallel to drive both subs from the one single amplifier? You can make a small, attractive cabinet for the amplifier to use it as a stand-alone amp. This could also have the advantage of keeping the sub amp close to the mains amp, avoiding the potential for a ground-loop hum.
post #3 of 19 Old 08-11-2014, 07:24 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Liked: 146
There is no way to wire a single 4 ohm DVC sub to get a 4 ohm load. It's not a good idea just running one coil either. You'd risk damaging the driver but would also be significantly reducing it's performance anyway. One option if you're set on that amp is to wire each sub's VC's in parallel (for a 2 ohm load) and then wire both subs together in series for a final 4 ohm load. You still be fairly limited overall because you be running two subs off of not much power. If those are your options though, go for it! 😃

Edit: Yep, what PassingInterest said!
post #4 of 19 Old 08-11-2014, 07:25 AM

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 37
4 ohm DVC is going to get you 2 ohms or 8 ohms. I'd consider a different amp; you could run both drivers in 2 ohm off of a single nu1000dsp.
post #5 of 19 Old 08-11-2014, 03:57 PM - Thread Starter

Alright, thanks guys
I wanted to put seperate amps in them so I could sell them later on, but I spose it would just be easier to put them on a home amplifier and wire them to 2 ohms each. Thanks all!
Unless anyone knows of any 2 ohm plate amplifiers that make 300w rms for under $200 each
post #6 of 19 Old 08-12-2014, 01:25 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Lightbulb

Or you could use both DVC speakers with one amp. Wire each speaker to itself in series (8ohm) then parallel to each other (4ohm). Then you can get a new sub (4ohm-SVC) for the other amp.
post #7 of 19 Old 08-12-2014, 01:31 PM

Quoted: 171 Post(s)
Liked: 87
I don't see any issue with just using one coil of the sub. I see no reason anything would be damaged, or performance, except for power handling, to be compromised with just one coil used. Some t/s parameters may change slightly with one coil used vs two, but not very much.

Dual voice coils are really just for more impedance wiring options. They really serve no other purpose.
post #8 of 19 Old 08-12-2014, 04:20 PM - Thread Starter

Ahh right, well I think I'll just go with a 2 channel home amplifier, but I can seem to find the right one!
Does anyone know of an amp that has 300RMS per channel @2 ohms?
I want it like this so it will be under 200w @8 ohms so I can run my big towers off them if I sell the subs.
Does anyone know an amp capable of that for under $400?
post #9 of 19 Old 08-12-2014, 04:41 PM

Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Inuke 1000 will do 380 rms per channel at 2 ohms.
post #10 of 19 Old 08-12-2014, 05:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 322 Post(s)
Liked: 252
Quote:
Originally Posted by simpko22 View Post
Ahh right, well I think I'll just go with a 2 channel home amplifier, but I can seem to find the right one!
Does anyone know of an amp that has 300RMS per channel @2 ohms?
I want it like this so it will be under 200w @8 ohms so I can run my big towers off them if I sell the subs.
Does anyone know an amp capable of that for under $400?

You do realize that you could use a 1000 watt amp if you wanted to, right? It won't instantly blow your speakers. Set up properly, it's actually much better to have more power than not enough. Anyways, the recommendation below is a good one. Also, if you get the DSP version, it has built in limiters that allow you to set how much power it makes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samps View Post
Inuke 1000 will do 380 rms per channel at 2 ohms.
post #11 of 19 Old 08-12-2014, 09:15 PM

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 37
If your budget is $400 you could look at the NU3000DSP.
post #12 of 19 Old 08-13-2014, 02:48 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeus33 View Post
You do realize that you could use a 1000 watt amp if you wanted to, right? It won't instantly blow your speakers. Set up properly, it's actually much better to have more power than not enough. Anyways, the recommendation below is a good one. Also, if you get the DSP version, it has built in limiters that allow you to set how much power it makes.
I thought if I give them two much over the rated amount it can add distortion?
And really!? So the Inuke1000DSP has an option to limit the power output, and is two ohm compatible!?
If that's true you sir have made my day!

And thanks for the recommendation to the other bloke haha

And I'll check out that $400 amp aswell if the Inuke doesn't work out.

Thanks again everyone!
post #13 of 19 Old 08-13-2014, 11:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I thought if I give them two much over the rated amount it can add distortion?
And really!? So the Inuke1000DSP has an option to limit the power output, and is two ohm compatible!?
If that's true you sir have made my day!

And thanks for the recommendation to the other bloke haha

And I'll check out that $400 amp aswell if the Inuke doesn't work out.

Thanks again everyone!

No, it is much worse on your speakers to not have enough power. As the amp is overdriven (when it's underpowered), it clips and creates distortion which in turn destroys your speakers. If you have way too much power and are stupid about it and crank everything all the way up, then yes it will blow your speakers, but setup properly, it will never tax the amplifier and it will drive your speakers effortlessly and cleanly. Given, you don't need 5x the rated power of your speakers, my point was that it won't hurt your speakers to have more power than they are rated for. Like I said, it's better to have a little too much power than not enough. Sometimes it makes more sense to purchase something with a little more power to make it "future proof". You never know what you may want to drive with it later down the road.

Yes, all of the iNuke DSP models have the ability to set power limiters. The 1000 and 3000 are 2 ohm capable. The 6000 is not.

That $400 amp (NU3000DSP) is also an iNuke amp with the same abilities, it's just more powerful than the 1000.
post #14 of 19 Old 08-13-2014, 04:14 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
No, it is much worse on your speakers to not have enough power. As the amp is overdriven (when it's underpowered), it clips and creates distortion which in turn destroys your speakers. If you have way too much power and are stupid about it and crank everything all the way up, then yes it will blow your speakers, but setup properly, it will never tax the amplifier and it will drive your speakers effortlessly and cleanly. Given, you don't need 5x the rated power of your speakers, my point was that it won't hurt your speakers to have more power than they are rated for. Like I said, it's better to have a little too much power than not enough. Sometimes it makes more sense to purchase something with a little more power to make it "future proof". You never know what you may want to drive with it later down the road.

Yes, all of the iNuke DSP models have the ability to set power limiters. The 1000 and 3000 are 2 ohm capable. The 6000 is not.

That $400 amp (NU3000DSP) is also an iNuke amp with the same abilities, it's just more powerful than the 1000.
Ah I see, thanks for that!
I was looking at the Nu1000DSP
But for the output and inputs it uses XLR or something like that.
How do I convert RCA to the input type, and then how do I covert the output connection into the 8gauge wire I will use to connect my subwoofer terminals?
post #15 of 19 Old 08-13-2014, 04:43 PM - Thread Starter

And 1 more thing, does the Crown XLS1000 have the same ability to limit power or not?
post #16 of 19 Old 08-13-2014, 09:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
How do I convert RCA to the input type, and then how do I covert the output connection into the 8gauge wire I will use to connect my subwoofer terminals?
http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_i...seq=1&format=2

http://www.parts-express.com/cat/spe...onnectors/1510

Quote:
And 1 more thing, does the Crown XLS1000 have the same ability to limit power or not?

Peakx Limiters

Peakx™ limiters provide the ultimate in performance and protection for your entire system. This advanced algorithm was specifically developed and tuned to work with this amplifier and power-supply to achieve higher SPL will less audible artifacts. This means less distortion, less shutdowns, and maximum safe power delivered to your speakers. The Peakx™ limiters can be easily turned on or off by channel right from the front panel eliminating the need to be digging around in the back of the dark rack.

Flexibility

XLR, 1/4", RCA inputs provide outstanding flexibility.

http://www.crownaudio.com/xls-drivecore.html
post #17 of 19 Old 08-14-2014, 12:10 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_i...seq=1&format=2

http://www.parts-express.com/cat/spe...onnectors/1510

Peakx Limiters

Peakx™ limiters provide the ultimate in performance and protection for your entire system. This advanced algorithm was specifically developed and tuned to work with this amplifier and power-supply to achieve higher SPL will less audible artifacts. This means less distortion, less shutdowns, and maximum safe power delivered to your speakers. The Peakx™ limiters can be easily turned on or off by channel right from the front panel eliminating the need to be digging around in the back of the dark rack.

Flexibility

XLR, 1/4", RCA inputs provide outstanding flexibility.

http://www.crownaudio.com/xls-drivecore.html
Alrighty awesome!
Thanks heaps! Getting so close to my setup being complete it's crazy exciting!
So I should be right to use the 300rms woofers @2ohms because of the limiters?
And do you think the crown xls1000 is worth the extra $100 compared with the behringer?
post #18 of 19 Old 08-14-2014, 01:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
And do you think the crown xls1000 is worth the extra $100 compared with the behringer?

That's something you have to decide for yourself. The Behringer has proven itself to be a great amp. There are quite a few members here that have them. Crown makes very good products as well.

Factors:
Looks: does one match the rest of your equipment better than the other?
Power: the Crown is rated a little more powerful than the iNuke and the iNukes power claims have proven to be embellished, so the gap is probably a little more than the stated 50 watts per channel.
Connectivity: The Crown has all of the "consumer" connections, so you don't have to purchase RCA to XLR adapters and Speakon connectors for your speaker wires.

They both have a 3 year warranty, so that is a moot point.
post #19 of 19 Old 08-14-2014, 03:51 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
That's something you have to decide for yourself. The Behringer has proven itself to be a great amp. There are quite a few members here that have them. Crown makes very good products as well.

Factors:
Looks: does one match the rest of your equipment better than the other?
Power: the Crown is rated a little more powerful than the iNuke and the iNukes power claims have proven to be embellished, so the gap is probably a little more than the stated 50 watts per channel.
Connectivity: The Crown has all of the "consumer" connections, so you don't have to purchase RCA to XLR adapters and Speakon connectors for your speaker wires.

They both have a 3 year warranty, so that is a moot point.
Ah right, well thanks again!
It seems I have some thinking to do hahahaha.
I am leaning towards the crown, just depending on weather I can get it cheap enough or not!
Thanks again for you help!
Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page