Alright, some progress to report. We have baffles. Enjoy!
I used the same method as before to find the center of the baffle and drew a line down the center. I got lucky and realized I marked the wrong side of the baffle so I flipped it over and drew another centered line. Glad I caught that mistake before I started cutting some holes!
Using the front ported enclosure diagram from Paul Carmody's website
and my awl I marked the center point of the openings.
Here I'm using a scrap piece of something or other I had lying around that helped me drill the holes for the circle jig pin. Don't want that pin going in at a crazy angle.
To hold down the baffle I used some more double sided tape. I also placed three drywall screws near the center marks. My impact driver easily sank the screw heads below the surface of the MDF without me having to pre-drill any holes. This way when I finish the cut everything will stay in place.
I'm going to use two bits to cut out the holes. A 3/4” flush bit to cut the recessed portion in one cut and then a 1/4” flush bit to finish it up. Here is my 3/4” bit chucked up. Tell me when I start going overboard with the pictures.
At this point I need the rear ported baffle from the Classix kit so I can set my plunge router to the correct depth.
I think it's in there.....
Who packs speaker kits like this????? I'll be lazy and just slide one out and leave everything else intact. I don't time for all this unpacking.
Now that I have Erich's baffle I can plunge the bit until it hits the recessed part and then lock in the depth adjustment. When I route my baffle, it should be recessed exactly the same.
Recessed cuts completed.
Here is my 1/4” bit chucked up. Tell me when I start going overboard with the pictures.
Several times around and we have something that looks not too bad.
To make those little cut outs the for the tweeter I traced them onto my baffle and then I free hand routed them out. Doing this type of free hand router stuff I hold on tight and use climb cuts. That helps maintain control of the router.
Finally, rear ported and front ported baffles together:
I gotta say this turned out to be more work than I anticipated. Not hard work just a little bit more work because they're small and you can't use clamps. I like clamps.
Now the fun part. Assembly!