With the long weekend it gave me some working time. This happened yesterday:
Never use Rustoleum Flat Black acrylic latex for a base coat on your cube.
I used this today ( at least I only tried one cube ) http://m.homedepot.com/p/Rust-Oleum-...502/100172539/
to give the cube a black base before duratex. I filled brad nails with drywall spackle per duratex instructions but the Rustoleum bubbled and did not stick to the spackle areas. So needless to say I spent the next 2 1/2 hours sanding back to mdf.
So now I have a really nice sanded cube. Should I just use the duratex without a base coat of black? I'm trying to get the duratex with very little texture too so I thought a base of black would work. Maybe hit it with 99 cent black spray bombs.
Here is a photo before the disaster. I first sanded the spackle smooth and applied the Rustoleum.
Oh and I built a detachable base for my cube's to give it a flare.
Then started on it again this morning. After starting the duratex outside in the heat I had to move inside with AC. The heat was asking the duratex dry way too fast. I could not even get one side done before getting to sticky. So I moved inside and ran to HD for some 4 inch 1/4 nap. Once back it was pretty easy from there. After getting hang on the duratex I think it came out great. The texture is real smooth and thin. Now I have the other cube to just fill seams/holes and sand. Here are some photos.
Before duratex, comparing to one or my Infinity 12 inch.
Nice and smooth.
I flush mounted the panel and is at the top back a the top of the port. With the right angle it is just hidden plus easy to disconnect being high up.
My custom made cables that match the rest in my setup.
Done for today but hope to be finished with both this week. I still need to mount the driver too.
I also glued 3/4 oak ply pieces where the driver screws go. I had left over oak from my console build, more biting power.